Moving the Report Server DB and Temp DB from one server to another RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to replicate my prod report db's onto the QA Server. So i did the following steps, 

Deleted the Report server DB and Temp DB from the QA Server

Took the back up from the Prod server and restored it on the QA for both Report Server DB and Temp DB

(I did take the back up of the Encryption files as well)

Now after i restore the DB's when i open the Report server configuration manager and connect, i am unable to start the Reporting services. It is throwing me the following error, 

System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service ReportServer on computer 'XXXXXXXXX'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not start due to a logon failure
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
       at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start()
       at ReportServicesConfigUI.Panels.ServerInformationPanel.StartStopServiceTask(Boolean start)

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:51 PM

Answers

• Hi kcmania,

According to your description, you delete existing report server databases, restore new report server databases to the current server. When you open the RSCM to connect to the new report server databases, the error “System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not start due to a logon failure” throws out, right?

In Reporting Services, we need to configure the reporting services runs as an account. You can open Services, find the Log On As account for SQL Server Reporting Services, change the account to a built-in account or Windows domain account., then restart the reporting services. See: Service Account (SSRS Native Mode).

Generally, when we move the report server database to another computer, we just restore the new report server databases, then change report serve databases connection in RSCM. Before changing, we needn’t delete the old report serve databases. In your scenario, if the old report server databases existing, you can attach them to SQL instance again to recover the report server to the original status. Then moving the new report server databases refer to this article: Moving the Report Server Databases to Another Computer (SSRS Native Mode).

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 21, 2016 2:41 AM

All replies

• check your service account used to access the database from the service. Your production environment might use a different account or you might need to add a SQL Server Login to match up to the database login so it can actually connect.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:58 PM
  • The Service account that RS is using needs sysadmin access to SQL on the SQL Server where the databases now reside; also if there are other accounts that have been configured in the RS configuration then these will need the appropriate access as well.

Please click "Mark As Answer" if my post helped. Tony C.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 5:31 PM
  • Hi kcmania,

According to your description, you delete existing report server databases, restore new report server databases to the current server. When you open the RSCM to connect to the new report server databases, the error “System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not start due to a logon failure” throws out, right?

In Reporting Services, we need to configure the reporting services runs as an account. You can open Services, find the Log On As account for SQL Server Reporting Services, change the account to a built-in account or Windows domain account., then restart the reporting services. See: Service Account (SSRS Native Mode).

Generally, when we move the report server database to another computer, we just restore the new report server databases, then change report serve databases connection in RSCM. Before changing, we needn’t delete the old report serve databases. In your scenario, if the old report server databases existing, you can attach them to SQL instance again to recover the report server to the original status. Then moving the new report server databases refer to this article: Moving the Report Server Databases to Another Computer (SSRS Native Mode).

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 21, 2016 2:41 AM