none
Vista's Desktop.ini files RRS feed

• Question

• OK, I am setting up 5 Windows Vista (x86) machines. These machines are connected to a samba domain controller. I install Vista from the DVD, once setup I connect to the domain and reboot.  When I login to a user account for the first time, vista creates a desktop.ini file everywhere. My Documents, My Pictures, Desktop, Start Menu, Start Up, Internet Explorer Links, and all the other directories in between. Bascially it creates one in every folder in the c:\Users\username directory.

I must point out that I have the computer set to hide system files however they still show up. I have actually disabled this option, rebooted, then enabled it again to see if that makes any difference but the desktop.ini files are still visable. I have also tried doing a search on C: for desktop.ini files and selecting them all, going to properties and setting them to hidden. For some reason when mass selecting them like this it doesn't save the "hide" status. Finally I tried using attrib  command with-s -h and then again with +s +h, this doesn't do anything to the files.

The only way to get them hidden is actually select each one manually and click hide. The problem with doing this is time. Each user profile contains about 20 desktop.ini files, times this by 6 users, then again by 4 machines and you have 480 files which need manually setting to hidden.

The system is a CLEAN install and no malware or software is installed at this point.

Why is vista doing this?

P.S Dell support don't even understand the problem so I gave up with them after about 30 minutes.
    • Changed type Andy Song Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:04 AM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:23 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Please understand that Desktop.ini file are common files when the desktop folder view is customized. Ordinarily, as they are hidden, system files, you would not see them; but they still exist. When a user changes folder options to show hidden and system files, they can be shown up. Desktop.ini files appear in many folders and hold the view settings for that folder. IE: If you customize the view on C:\Users\<user>\desktop, a desktop.ini file will be created in that folder and appear on the desktop if the option to view hidden and system files is enabled.

However, it is quite strange why the Desktop.ini files are shown up by default on your computer. For the current situation, you might first disjoin the domain and create a new local user account to exclude the possibility that the domain settings cause the problem. If the problem still persists, I suggest you deleting all of them as they aren't critical. Thanks for your time and understanding!

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, July 20, 2009 8:39 AM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:04 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please understand that Desktop.ini file are common files when the desktop folder view is customized. Ordinarily, as they are hidden, system files, you would not see them; but they still exist. When a user changes folder options to show hidden and system files, they can be shown up. Desktop.ini files appear in many folders and hold the view settings for that folder. IE: If you customize the view on C:\Users\<user>\desktop, a desktop.ini file will be created in that folder and appear on the desktop if the option to view hidden and system files is enabled.

However, it is quite strange why the Desktop.ini files are shown up by default on your computer. For the current situation, you might first disjoin the domain and create a new local user account to exclude the possibility that the domain settings cause the problem. If the problem still persists, I suggest you deleting all of them as they aren't critical. Thanks for your time and understanding!

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, July 20, 2009 8:39 AM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:04 AM
  • Hi Andy,
    I found a desktop.ini .text file on my descktop, and by mistake I deleted it. Coincidetially I could not install a new mouse a couple of days later, and today the windows update could not search for new updates due to an error code 80070005.
    I wonder if this deleted file had to do with this? Is there a way to look for this "now missing" file? before fixing the error code?
    Thanks
    Caesar
    Monday, March 15, 2010 2:26 AM
  •  No Sir: Your problems CAN not come from the Desktop.ini  on Your Desktop. They are coming most likely from a recent update. Microsoft™  LOVES to screw with us period.

my Telemetry:
    Windows™ check on why Windows™ 10 will not INSTALL in the registry is over 25,000 attempts to Install 
    ha, ha, They must be really pissed at me, RTFO lMAO

Find ( Search ) and download these files. Run them; then Restart your Computer and Lastly Run SFCFix.exe

1. Windows Update Repair sp47845.exe

2. Windows Update Diagnostic.diagcab

Computer Interface Systems ®" First

Shadowstar ©™ Studio Productions

Google ~ Dj ¨°º¤ø„¸ ͡ ͜ . ͡ ¸„ø¤º°¨ Ziggy.42o ©™

• Edited by CisfRjsii Tuesday, August 28, 2018 10:28 AM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2018 10:27 AM