APP-V 5.1 Client Configuration using GPO RRS feed

• Question

• I was looking for a method of deploying clients with the publishing server & port. I installed the App-V admx and went to the Publishing option. From the description, the settings lead me to believe that it's more displaying then actually setting the server. Is the only way to add the server & port really through powershell? There aren't any parameters I can use for the setup.exe?
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 5:38 PM

Answers

• You should use Group Policy. Using PowerShell can be used for troubleshooting or if you want to configure a specific client.

The Settings are at Admin Templates > System > App-V > Publishing > Publishing: Publishing Server 1 Settings, Publishing Server 2 Settings, etc.

If you have only 1 Publishing Server, you only need to configure the first setting. If you are having multiple Publishing Servers (without an external Load Balancer) you can specify them in the other Settings (Server 2, 3, etc.)

Here is a Step-By-Step Guide: http://www.netdavidic.com/2013/03/deploy-app-v-50-client-via-gpo-and.html

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 6:44 PM

All replies

• You can set the Publishing Server manually on the Client using "Add-AppvPublishingServer" or via Group Poliy. The options in the GPO Setting and the Parameters for the Cmdlet are more or less the same.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 6:29 PM
  • You can set the Publishing Server manually on the Client using "Add-AppvPublishingServer" or via Group Poliy. The options in the GPO Setting and the Parameters for the Cmdlet are more or less the same.

So these are the options to set the publishing server? I find it unbelievable that Microsoft would get rid of the parameter to do it on the install. What's the reason?

#1. install the client via the setup.exe & then run a powershell script to import-module appvclient and then set-appvpublishingserver on each client machine in our domain.

#2. Use Group Policy? Where exactly? These are the options under Computer Policies > Admin Templates > System > App-V > Publishing ............ Nothing says App-V Publishing Server. Am I missing something?

Publishing Server Display Name: Displays the name of publishing server.

Publishing Server URL: Displays the URL of publishing server.

Global Publishing Refresh: Enables global publishing refresh (Boolean).

Global Publishing Refresh On Logon: Triggers a global publishing refresh on logon (Boolean).

Global Publishing Refresh Interval: Specifies the publishing refresh interval using the GlobalRefreshIntervalUnit. To disable package refresh, select 0.

Global Publishing Refresh Interval Unit: Specifies the interval unit (Hour 0-23, Day 0-31).

User Publishing Refresh: Enables user publishing refresh (Boolean).

User Publishing Refresh On Logon: Triggers a user publishing refresh on logon (Boolean).

User Publishing Refresh Interval: Specifies the publishing refresh interval using the UserRefreshIntervalUnit. To disable package refresh, select 0.

User Publishing Refresh Interval Unit: Specifies the interval unit (Hour 0-23, Day 0-31).

• Edited by IAMGR00T Wednesday, November 11, 2015 6:35 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 6:34 PM
  • You should use Group Policy. Using PowerShell can be used for troubleshooting or if you want to configure a specific client.

The Settings are at Admin Templates > System > App-V > Publishing > Publishing: Publishing Server 1 Settings, Publishing Server 2 Settings, etc.

If you have only 1 Publishing Server, you only need to configure the first setting. If you are having multiple Publishing Servers (without an external Load Balancer) you can specify them in the other Settings (Server 2, 3, etc.)

Here is a Step-By-Step Guide: http://www.netdavidic.com/2013/03/deploy-app-v-50-client-via-gpo-and.html

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 6:44 PM

The Settings are at Admin Templates > System > App-V > Publishing: Publishing Server 1 Settings, Publishing Server 2 Settings, etc.

If you have only 1 Publishing Server, you only need to configure the first setting. If you are having multiple Publishing Servers (without a Load Balancing in front of them) you can specified them in the other Settings (Server 2, 3, etc.)

Okay, my confusion was that for the Help description of the policy setting "Publishing Server URL" it says "Displays the URL of publishing server." Nowhere does it say that the setting actually sets the publishing server.

I'll give it a try and see where it goes. Thanks Simon.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 6:48 PM
  • The Display Name is not really relevant and you can enter any name that you like. The most important setting is "Publishing Server URL" where you enter the actual URL of the Publishing Server.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 7:03 PM
  • If you have only 1 Publishing Server, you only need to configure the first setting. If you are having multiple Publishing Servers (without an external Load Balancer) you can specify them in the other Settings (Server 2, 3, etc.)

IF you are using a load balancer, only enter the details of the load-balancer!!
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 10:09 PM