none
Unable to attach the database to the SQL instance. Connection failure. ID 32000 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to recover a file from SharePoint but appear to have a permission issue.  I've looked online but I don't see which user accounts need certain permissions on SQL.  I verified that the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM has the sysadmin role.  Any help is appreciated.
    Friday, January 2, 2015 11:05 PM

Answers

• I ended up getting everything working.  I tried the regkey approach but this didn't help.  I was able to use a different sql server to work.  I gave the SharePoint farm administrator account and NT Authority/System sysadmin and serveradmin sql roles.  Everything worked after that with the different sql server.  Thanks for the help.
    Saturday, January 10, 2015 2:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I found an article mentioned this issue. The workaround it provided is to perform a non-optimized recovery. See:

DPM 2012 : Sharepoint 2010 en ILM (Item Level Recovery) Running on SQL Cluster fails with :”DPM was unable to attach the database to the SQL Instance SERVER\INSTANCE”

http://scug.be/sccm/2012/11/30/dpm-2012-sharepoint-2010-en-ilm-item-level-recovery-running-on-sql-cluster-fails-with-dpm-was-unable-to-attach-the-database-to-the-sql-instance-serverinstance/

To disable Optimized ILR completely, use the following registry key on the DPM 2012 server:

Key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\SharePoint 
    Value: DisableOptimizedILR 
    Data:0×1 
    Type: DWORD

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 5, 2015 3:05 AM
  • I tried this and am still receiving the same error.  The event id is 3111 also. I forgot to mention that in my original post.  I watched the folder on the sql server where I pointed the recovery database and saw it finish copying the content database required, so it doesn't seem like a permission issue thus far even though the error states that DPM was unable to attach the database to the sql instance.  Any other ideas?  Maybe some log file locations?
    Tuesday, January 6, 2015 11:16 PM
  • I ended up getting everything working.  I tried the regkey approach but this didn't help.  I was able to use a different sql server to work.  I gave the SharePoint farm administrator account and NT Authority/System sysadmin and serveradmin sql roles.  Everything worked after that with the different sql server.  Thanks for the help.
    Saturday, January 10, 2015 2:24 PM