none
LTSB 1607 - Issue opening help in some applications.

Question

• I have run into an odd issue in building our Windows 10 image that I cannot find in any searches.  

The OS in question is Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB.  This issue was also tested on Windows 10 IOT Enterprise 2015 with the same results.

Problem:  When opening a help file in an application, notepad for instance, I get the following error:

You'll need a new app to open this
    ms-get-started

This was tested with a untouched OS right from the ISO image.  I also tested with both the built-in Administrator, New Administrator account, and standard user account. 

Google is not helping, directing me to other similar issues but nothing like this.  I am moving forward with reloading the ISO directly on my VM server to try a fresh test but wanted to reach out and see if anybody else has seen this.   

Update:  Re-image finished on my VM using LTSB 1607 x64 and the same error.  Are the help sections no longer available on LTSB?

• Edited by Calash_nec Tuesday, March 21, 2017 5:09 PM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:53 PM

All replies

• By any chance did you run Windows update to see if there are fixes to the issue?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:52 PM
  • Hi,

The Windows Help program is not supported in Windows 10, Windows Server 2012 or later versions of Windows Server. The Windows Help program is available for Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 only.

Microsoft strongly recommends that software developers discontinue using the Windows Help application. Software developers who ship programs that rely on .hlp files are encouraged to transition their Help experience to an alternative Help file format, such as CHM, HTML, or XML.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/917607/error-opening-help-in-windows-based-programs-feature-not-included-or-help-not-supported

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Sean LimingMVP Wednesday, March 22, 2017 4:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Calash_nec Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:13 PM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:50 AM
  • By any chance did you run Windows update to see if there are fixes to the issue?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Yes I did.  Also went between 1511 and 1607 to make sure the error was consistent.  
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 12:40 PM
  • Hi,

The Windows Help program is not supported in Windows 10, Windows Server 2012 or later versions of Windows Server. The Windows Help program is available for Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 only.

Microsoft strongly recommends that software developers discontinue using the Windows Help application. Software developers who ship programs that rely on .hlp files are encouraged to transition their Help experience to an alternative Help file format, such as CHM, HTML, or XML.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/917607/error-opening-help-in-windows-based-programs-feature-not-included-or-help-not-supported

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

I had found that one but it was unrelated to this issue.  The problem is only on LTSB, on CB/CBB like Professional Help works fine in Notepad.  It opens what appears to be an Edge based window, and I think that may be the source of this issue.

LTSB does not have Edge by default.  If some of these help settings are depending on that being installed it could explain why they are not working.  It does worry me that it is not working out of the box.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 12:45 PM
  • You can also see this in Wordpad, and in the help for File Explorer.

I am surprised nobody else is seeing this issue.  Is it just not important?  I have to explain why our 'soon to be production' image has errors when our clients try to view the Help files and I am not sure what the answer is.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:58 PM
  • LTSB is intended for those building Embedded/IoT devices like ATM machines, industrial controls, gaming machines, etc., where a single application is the shell to the system, thus no need for help system. If you are not building a device, then the CB/CBB version is what you need to be using.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:25 PM
  • LTSB is intended for those building Embedded/IoT devices like ATM machines, industrial controls, gaming machines, etc., where a single application is the shell to the system, thus no need for help system. If you are not building a device, then the CB/CBB version is what you need to be using.

I appreciate the reply but this is not an answer.  We are allowed to choose what OS fits our needs, LTSB is that OS for our fleet.

I have listed 3 applications that come stock with Windows that do not work out of the box, ether no body else has seen this issue or nobody cares.  I guess it is the latter?

Thursday, March 30, 2017 11:15 AM

Surely LTSB is for any case where the upgrade schedule or other features of CB/CBB are not appropriate?

E.g. we use LTSB on our student machines because we need a consistent version and interface across an academic year. From the start of testing to the end of exam resits, that means we need to stick with the same build for around 15 months. CB/CBB cannot offer that, so LTSB it is.

Windows IoT is based on LTSB, but they are separate things.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 12:10 PM
  • I have listed 3 applications that come stock with Windows that do not work out of the box, ether no body else has seen this issue or nobody cares.  I guess it is the latter?

I had a quick look at this a while back and couldn't reproduce the problem. I'll have another go...

Our installation has the latest cumulative update integrated into the LTSB 1607 installation materials (using DISM), which may affect things.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 12:13 PM

Surely LTSB is for any case where the upgrade schedule or other features of CB/CBB are not appropriate?

E.g. we use LTSB on our student machines because we need a consistent version and interface across an academic year. From the start of testing to the end of exam resits, that means we need to stick with the same build for around 15 months. CB/CBB cannot offer that, so LTSB it is.

Windows IoT is based on LTSB, but they are separate things.

The problem is that Microsoft seems to have lumped everything int 1 of 2 classes, End-User and Embedded.  LTSB/IoT Enterprise falls under the latter, even if the system is not actually "Embedded" in anything.

For our situation we have a fleet of PC's that control laboratory instruments.  These are stand-along PC's connected to one or more pieces of equipment via USB/Serial/GPIB/Ethernet.  Feature Updates are too high of an impact for our environment so we have to go with LTSB.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:15 PM
  • I have listed 3 applications that come stock with Windows that do not work out of the box, ether no body else has seen this issue or nobody cares.  I guess it is the latter?

I had a quick look at this a while back and couldn't reproduce the problem. I'll have another go...

Our installation has the latest cumulative update integrated into the LTSB 1607 installation materials (using DISM), which may affect things.

My tests did cover a PC that had the Update applied after imaging, but did not cover rolling the update into the image via DISM.  I will also give that a try and see if it helps.
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:17 PM
  • You'll need a new app to open this ms-get-started

Try tracing this case in a vanilla install?  Sounds like a workaround would be to find out what registry switch needs to be set to make it appear that you have already done this.   FWIW  Notepad Help goes here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/products/windows?os=windows-10

in IE (not Edge?)

Also, was there a typo above?  It looks like  Microsoft.GetStarted:  might be more likely

PS>Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where DisplayName -match "start"

DisplayName  : Microsoft.Getstarted

But when I try that I get the same symptom that you are seeing.

Otherwise this page makes me think that what is being described once existed but is now deprecated

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/get-started-windows-10

(BING search for
        +microsoft.getstarted windows.10 app
    )

Notice how hard it was to zero in on that page?

When trying the same things on 15063 I get the idea that  Tips  may next be the designed help.  It works for 14393.969 too.   ; )

So where is Tips?  I don't remember installing it; moreover it doesn't show up in either OS this way:

PS>Get-AppxPackage | where Name -match "tips"

Note that I had to drop the -Online switch for the other query and change the property name to get that far!

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

OMG.  Start Tips.  Then in Task Manager do right-click Properties to see what it is

Microsoft.Getstarted_4.5.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

I guess all has been revealed?   ; }

Thursday, March 30, 2017 10:27 PM
  • My tests did cover a PC that had the Update applied after imaging, but did not cover rolling the update into the image via DISM.  I will also give that a try and see if it helps.

Just tried it again on a machine here - help in notepad or wordpad opens this url in IE:

Help in file explorer launches a bing search (in IE) for "get help with file explorer in windows 10".

So, something is different between your environment and ours. On this machine, Settings, System, About reports:

• Edition: Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB
    • Version: 1607
    • OS Build: 14393.969
    Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -online

reports nothing (and yes I did run it elevated)

Get-AppxPackage

reports a short list (this is LTSB, after all), but does not include anything related to GetStarted or Tips.

Not sure what to suggest.

Friday, March 31, 2017 9:19 AM
  • Not sure what to suggest.

So that means you are missing  Tips?  FWIW I still don't understand how Tips gets to run  Microsoft.GetStarted.  E.g. why isn't that one's DisplayName = Tips?  See my PostScript?   ; )

BTW what I would like to know how to do is make Tips default page = Browse topics (Instead of Welcome).  That would be slick.  I made this comment in my review of Tips yesterday.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, March 31, 2017 10:59 AM
  • My tests did cover a PC that had the Update applied after imaging, but did not cover rolling the update into the image via DISM.  I will also give that a try and see if it helps.

Just tried it again on a machine here - help in notepad or wordpad opens this url in IE:

Help in file explorer launches a bing search (in IE) for "get help with file explorer in windows 10".

So, something is different between your environment and ours. On this machine, Settings, System, About reports:

• Edition: Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB
    • Version: 1607
    • OS Build: 14393.969
    Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -online

reports nothing (and yes I did run it elevated)

Get-AppxPackage

reports a short list (this is LTSB, after all), but does not include anything related to GetStarted or Tips.

Not sure what to suggest.

Great info, thank you.  What is the source of your media (VL center, MSDN, etc)?  We are currently using VL center media but can move over pretty easily.

Friday, March 31, 2017 11:15 AM
  • You'll need a new app to open this ms-get-started

Try tracing this case in a vanilla install?  Sounds like a workaround would be to find out what registry switch needs to be set to make it appear that you have already done this.   FWIW  Notepad Help goes here

in IE (not Edge?)

Also, was there a typo above?  It looks like  Microsoft.GetStarted:  might be more likely

PS>Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where DisplayName -match "start"

DisplayName  : Microsoft.Getstarted

But when I try that I get the same symptom that you are seeing.

Otherwise this page makes me think that what is being described once existed but is now deprecated

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/get-started-windows-10

(BING search for
        +microsoft.getstarted windows.10 app
    )

Notice how hard it was to zero in on that page?

When trying the same things on 15063 I get the idea that  Tips  may next be the designed help.  It works for 14393.969 too.   ; )

So where is Tips?  I don't remember installing it; moreover it doesn't show up in either OS this way:

PS>Get-AppxPackage | where Name -match "tips"

Note that I had to drop the -Online switch for the other query and change the property name to get that far!

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

OMG.  Start Tips.  Then in Task Manager do right-click Properties to see what it is

Microsoft.Getstarted_4.5.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

I guess all has been revealed?   ; }

We went to Process Explorer, as I tend to do, to try and trace down what is going on.

The application makes a call to Helppage.exe.  After a bit of churning it then makes a call to the Application Picker that finally serve me with the dialog.  In my head that screams file association, as suggested earlier, so at the end of the day yesterday I did a search for .hlp files and I get the same error trying to open them.

My next steps are to get more coffee into me and then review what you posted in front of a test system to try and see where it leads me.  

Thank you for the information.

• Edited by Calash_nec Friday, March 31, 2017 11:27 AM Coffee...
    Friday, March 31, 2017 11:24 AM
  • Great info, thank you.  What is the source of your media (VL center, MSDN, etc)?  We are currently using VL center media but can move over pretty easily.

It's VL centre.

The ISO is 3,577,901,056 bytes (the date seems to be the date we downloaded it - 27th Jan 2017)

Within that, the install.wim that we started from is 3,035,720,732 bytes, and dated "16/07/2016  15:31" (which may have timezone corrections). The actual wim we're using for installations has had the March cumulative update merged with it, and some other tweaks for our environment, which I don't think are related to this (enabling .Net35 and similar).

Friday, March 31, 2017 11:26 AM
  • Great info, thank you.  What is the source of your media (VL center, MSDN, etc)?  We are currently using VL center media but can move over pretty easily.

It's VL centre.

The ISO is 3,577,901,056 bytes (the date seems to be the date we downloaded it - 27th Jan 2017)

Within that, the install.wim that we started from is 3,035,720,732 bytes, and dated "16/07/2016  15:31" (which may have timezone corrections). The actual wim we're using for installations has had the March cumulative update merged with it, and some other tweaks for our environment, which I don't think are related to this (enabling .Net35 and similar).

Everything matches with our ISO so I don't think that is the cause.  Thanks for getting that info for me.
    Friday, March 31, 2017 1:37 PM
  • Not sure what to suggest.

So that means you are missing  Tips?  FWIW I still don't understand how Tips gets to run  Microsoft.GetStarted.  E.g. why isn't that one's DisplayName = Tips?  See my PostScript?   ; )

BTW what I would like to know how to do is make Tips default page = Browse topics (Instead of Welcome).  That would be slick.  I made this comment in my review of Tips yesterday.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

So I got a bit farther in this issue.  The problem is directly related to our local Proxy Server.  Connecting to a direct line to the internet the help spawns just fine in IE.  Disconnect the internet or put it on our production network with our standard proxies and I get the error message.

The destination site is not blocked so their must be some sort of check to a blocked service before it launches IE...perhaps Windows Store?.

Watching Process Monitor Helppane.exe is sending a request to deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com...I get a DNS error trying to reach out myself but I need to do more research.

• Edited by Calash_nec Friday, March 31, 2017 3:40 PM
    Friday, March 31, 2017 3:25 PM