Problem with windows 7 and installing a printer driver without admin permissions RRS feed

• Question

• I seem to be having major problems getting round the issue of users without admin permissions being able to install printer drivers on windows 7.

To get round the issue when I am building the PC or laptop to add to the domain I am installing the drivers of all our printer on the network to the pc so that way when the user adds them it is not a problem but this is becoming a pain at to that users with laptops who want to add home printers to them and well u can see where I am going.

I have tried the post link below but can get it to work so just wondered if anyone has had any success finding a work round for this?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/38c7034c-4142-4b67-afb4-1a9ded055e8b

Saturday, October 16, 2010 10:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I think the steps are right, but maybe we missed something. Have you refreshed the policy change? If not, you could run the following command:

Gpudate /force

Meanwhile, I recommend you could try GP Preferences:

GP Preferences: Add a new printer, set as default

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, October 29, 2010 2:00 AM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:11 AM