Windows 10 1511 not deploying RRS feed

• Question

• I WSUS running on Windows Server 2012. It works fine for every update except the Windows 10 1511 upgrade. Clients don't see the update at all (the report up to date), although they do report a failed update in parenthesis next to updates last installed in Windows Update. When clicking on it, it gives a list of all updates and their status. Windows 10 does show there and failed.

When I run a report in WSUS for a client pc, the update status is failed. clicking on that says download succeeded.

I've tried running the fixit for windows update on the client PC, renaming the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder to .old without success.

I've also added .esd to the IIS mime type, and have KB 3095113

The windows update log on the client pc shows that the upgrade downloaded but could not be installed, and is scheduled to install later which never happens.

PLEASE HELP

• Edited by JeanZA Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:44 PM

Answers

• Hi JeanZA,

After some research, I got some new findings.

To upgrade to window 10 1511, clients need to meet the following prerequisites:

1. For windows 7, the version wuaueng.dll needs to greater than or equal to 7.6.7601.19016 and less than or equal to 9599;

2. For window 8.1, the version wuaueng.dll needs to greater than or equal to 7.6.9600.18066 and less than or equal to 10239;

3. Registry key in Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate:

"DisableOSUpgrade"=false

"DeferUpgrade"="false"

"RequireDeferUpgrade"="false"

Registry key in Software\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings:

"DeferUpgrade"="false"

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 26, 2016 8:16 AM

All replies

• Dear

In server configuration wsus are you activate the new function "upgrades"

link : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3095113

In this article microsoft clarifies wsus role in Windows 10 :

https://www.404techsupport.com/2015/12/microsoft-clarifies-wsus-role-windows-10-v1511-upgrade/Regards

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:02 PM
  • Hi JeanZA,

>The windows update log on the client pc shows that the upgrade downloaded but could not be installed, and is scheduled to install later which never happens.

Check if the registry key "DisableOSUpgrade" is set to 1, if yes, change it to 0. The key's location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\POLICIES\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

If the key is set to "0", and it still doesn't work, then we may add a registry key AllowOSUpgrade to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade, create DWORD AllowOSUpgrade, set value to 1.

Here is the related forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/c6e508f2-ac72-43dd-85b4-68c6f2dd1a99/win10-1511-upgrade-not-being-offered-by-wsus?forum=winserverwsus

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 6:15 AM
  • Will check the registry now.

It seems that drivers are what's causing the problem though:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

-<CompatReport MigXmlFile="DIsxbmH9dUaP8sJK.7.6.0.0_APPRAISER_Migration.xml">

<System X64Running="True" X64Capable="True"/>

-<Hardware>

-<HardwareItem HardwareType="Setup_BitlockerNoTargetSupport">

<CompatibilityInfo BlockingType="None"/>

</HardwareItem>

-<HardwareItem HardwareType="Setup_TargetIsNonStagedBuild">

</HardwareItem>

-<HardwareItem HardwareType="Setup_LanguagePackDetected">

</HardwareItem>

-<HardwareItem HardwareType="Setup_LicenseActivation">

</HardwareItem>

-<HardwareItem HardwareType="Setup_PendingFirmwareUpdateWithPower">

</HardwareItem>

-<HardwareItem HardwareType="Setup_SecureBoot">

</HardwareItem>

</Hardware>

<SystemInfo OSMinorVersion="1" OSMajorVersion="6" UplevelEdition="Windows 10"/>

<Devices/>

-<DriverPackages>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="False" BlockMigration="True" Inf="oem0.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="oem1.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="False" BlockMigration="True" Inf="oem10.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="oem12.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="oem16.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="oem17.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="oem4.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="oem5.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="True" Inf="oem6.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="acpi.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="netrasa.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="mshdc.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="blbdrive.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="cdrom.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="compositebus.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="disk.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="wdmaudio.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="hdaudio.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="hdaudbus.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="input.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="cpu.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="keyboard.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="monitor.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="msmouse.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="machine.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="ksfilter.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="netavpna.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="netsstpa.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="rdpbus.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="nettun.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="umbus.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="usb.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="usbport.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="usbstor.inf"/>

<DriverPackage HasSignedBinaries="True" BlockMigration="False" Inf="wpdfs.inf"/>

</DriverPackages>

<Programs/>

</CompatReport>

How do I get around this if it is in fact the problem?

• Edited by JeanZA Thursday, February 4, 2016 8:13 AM
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 8:00 AM
  • I just checked the registry and there was no WindowsUpdate key. I created the key and DWORD AllowOSUpgrade = 1.

Still not working

Thursday, February 4, 2016 8:09 AM
  • Anyone?
    Sunday, February 7, 2016 6:12 PM
  • Hi JeanZA,

After some research, I got some new findings.

To upgrade to window 10 1511, clients need to meet the following prerequisites:

1. For windows 7, the version wuaueng.dll needs to greater than or equal to 7.6.7601.19016 and less than or equal to 9599;

2. For window 8.1, the version wuaueng.dll needs to greater than or equal to 7.6.9600.18066 and less than or equal to 10239;

3. Registry key in Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate:

"DisableOSUpgrade"=false

"DeferUpgrade"="false"

"RequireDeferUpgrade"="false"

Registry key in Software\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings:

"DeferUpgrade"="false"

Best Regards,

Anne

Friday, February 26, 2016 8:16 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Excellent you made my day, the above registry settings worked for me and was able to upgrade Windows 7 professional to Windows 10 Pro successfully using WSUS feature upgrade deployment. I was trying from last one week and finally I was excited to see the Windows 10 upgrade available in Windows update.

I tested this on a test machine in workgroup hope this works on domain systems as well and will post update

Thanks

DK

• Proposed as answer by Keith_7 Monday, March 14, 2016 5:29 PM
    Monday, February 29, 2016 6:29 PM
  • Hi Dinesh k1,

Glad to hear it works. Cheers!

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 1:03 AM