none
Custom MDX Query Filtering does not allow drill up/down RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using PPS 2007 and now is creating dasboard.  I have created filter by using MDX query. But I face problem to drill up and down. How to make this happens?
    • Edited by nicol madu Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:30 AM provide infra info.
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:20 AM

Answers

• The filter would not be the issue or at least it should not be the issue.  Most likely it is the analytical gird or chart you are using this with.  Have you modified the MDX in the grid or chart?  If so then that is the issue, once you do this it removes the ability to interact with the analytical reports.

If you have not modified the analytical report then most likely you have an item placed in the Background that does not have a member selected.  Go in and make sure that at least the Defaultmember is checked for these items because if it is is not it will create an aggregate member and this will remove the ability to interact with the report.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 4:40 PM
  • You need to place the member that you are using for your filter in the background of the analytical report so you have an endpoint to map the filter to.  In doing so make sure that you select the default member when you place the item in the background as I stated in previous reply.

Filters are only used in dashboards, you are not able to place this in reports as you learned.  You use them to connect to reports and pass the information to filter the data being displayed. 

You will want to continue to use the MDX Query for the filter to get the dynamic results you are looking for if they are constantly changing.  You will need to revert and the report back to the original format to eliminate the customizations that you have done in the MDX.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:42 PM

All replies

• Nicol,

Can you explain little bit more the issues you are facing?

Mdx

Thursday, March 25, 2010 4:27 PM
  • The filter would not be the issue or at least it should not be the issue.  Most likely it is the analytical gird or chart you are using this with.  Have you modified the MDX in the grid or chart?  If so then that is the issue, once you do this it removes the ability to interact with the analytical reports.

If you have not modified the analytical report then most likely you have an item placed in the Background that does not have a member selected.  Go in and make sure that at least the Defaultmember is checked for these items because if it is is not it will create an aggregate member and this will remove the ability to interact with the report.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 4:40 PM
  • At first, I'm creating member selection as filtering. But then realize that even I refresh the cube, the updated data in database will not reflected in filtering list. Hence I'm using MDX Query and I get the result. However, I cannot find this filter appear at the Details panel. Again, I cannot drop into background.

So, I drag the filter to dashboard designer and create link. in Link Options tab under Dashboard item endpoint, i select "measurement: (which I dun think is correct) and this caused not report display at all. 

At last, turn out that i modify the MDX query @ graph query by adding new parameter and it is working fine. Just that, the drill up feature is not there anymore.

So, If u can advice me how to make member selection filter to get latest data, then i don;t have to waste time on these mess....

Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:03 PM
  • You need to place the member that you are using for your filter in the background of the analytical report so you have an endpoint to map the filter to.  In doing so make sure that you select the default member when you place the item in the background as I stated in previous reply.

Filters are only used in dashboards, you are not able to place this in reports as you learned.  You use them to connect to reports and pass the information to filter the data being displayed. 

You will want to continue to use the MDX Query for the filter to get the dynamic results you are looking for if they are constantly changing.  You will need to revert and the report back to the original format to eliminate the customizations that you have done in the MDX.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:42 PM

Dan English's BI Blog

i want to create PPS filter using MDX query,  but it is not working. can anyone tell me, we have  any specific syntax we can use to create  filter using MDX query.

Friday, June 24, 2011 9:41 AM
  • This thread has already been answered. Please post a new thread with your question or issue you are experiencing.

Just an FYI, the MDX Query does not accept an entire MDX query, just a portion.  Like some examples would be the following:

• NONEMPTY(Date.Year.Members, Measure.[Total Sales])
    • Product.Category.Children

Dan English's BI Blog
    Friday, June 24, 2011 11:00 AM