Should a Q: drive be available in the Client OS? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings all,

I'm new to AppV, so please forgive me if i ask any stupid question. I have followed the guide for setting up a testing environment of AppV 4.5 and things seem to be working fine. I managed to sequence and stream a few apps. However, I'm still confused with the drive Q requirement. I read other posts as well regarding the Q drive but somehow didn't get the right answer. My question is:

Should i create a physical drive named Q: in the terminal server or it should only be created in the machine where I do the sequencing only. In my test environment i created a Q drive where I installed the applications (during sequencing). I also created a Q drive in the Terminal server but somehow when i log in to the terminal server another drive E: is created and drive Q is empty. The applications still work fine but i just want to know how things are done the right way.

Thanks in advance,
    Vladimir
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Vladimir,

Just to expand on znack's answer; 

Sequencer:
    You only need to create the Q:\ on the sequencer machine.
    Note that this doesn't have to be Q - it could be any letter but ideally will be consistent across your environment
    It must be a local disk/partition and not a network share or SUBST'd letter)

Client:
    When you install the client component it will ask you for your preferred drive letter.
    This should be the same as the letter selected on the sequencer
    This creates a 'virtual' driver letter which is used to 'host' or 'mount' your virtual applications

If you used Q:\ on your sequencer and E:\ on your client (the App-V client installer probably selected this as the next available letter since you'd already used Q:) then there is a RISK that some of your apps may fail or experience problems - this will happen if the app installer hardcoded the Q:\ letter in a way in which the sequencer was unable to replace it with the %SFY_MNT% variable which is resolved on the client to the virtual drive letter in use.

Hope that helps,
    Danny

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by ladio Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:09 AM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:34 AM
  • Hello,

My setup:

Q: as assigned mount-point.
    On the client I have a C: drive alone
    Install APP-V client with Q: as assigned mount point

Sequencer is setup with two drives, C: (os installation) and Q: as a clean drive. All sequencing is done against Q:

/Znack

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:30 AM

All replies

• Hello,

My setup:

Q: as assigned mount-point.
    On the client I have a C: drive alone
    Install APP-V client with Q: as assigned mount point

Sequencer is setup with two drives, C: (os installation) and Q: as a clean drive. All sequencing is done against Q:

/Znack

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:30 AM
  • Hi Vladimir,

Just to expand on znack's answer; 

Sequencer:
    You only need to create the Q:\ on the sequencer machine.
    Note that this doesn't have to be Q - it could be any letter but ideally will be consistent across your environment
    It must be a local disk/partition and not a network share or SUBST'd letter)

Client:
    When you install the client component it will ask you for your preferred drive letter.
    This should be the same as the letter selected on the sequencer
    This creates a 'virtual' driver letter which is used to 'host' or 'mount' your virtual applications

If you used Q:\ on your sequencer and E:\ on your client (the App-V client installer probably selected this as the next available letter since you'd already used Q:) then there is a RISK that some of your apps may fail or experience problems - this will happen if the app installer hardcoded the Q:\ letter in a way in which the sequencer was unable to replace it with the %SFY_MNT% variable which is resolved on the client to the virtual drive letter in use.

Hope that helps,
    Danny

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:29 AM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:34 AM
  • Thank you very much for your answers. Now it is very clear. I was confused because i read almost everywhere that the sequencer machine (environment) should be the same as the machine where the apps will run (client). This made me think that since the Q: drive is a real drive in the sequencer machine, it should be a real drive in the client as well.

Regards,
    Vladimir
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:13 AM