Radeon 2600XT 512 DDR3 taking 100%CPU RRS feed

• Question

• Hy,I just bought a new graphics card(RADEON HD 2600XT GDDR3 512 MB-ZALMAN Edition,PCI-E).I`m having Vista.I din`t have any other graphics card in my mobo before,as the graphics is integrated.On my first installation of the card,Vista automatically installed the drivers.But on reboot,my sysytem has slowed down so much,that it now takes almost 6 minutes to startup.Every thing has slowed down,even the mouse and the cursor.How ever if i take out the card and boot again,my PC is having no probs at all.The task manager always shows 100% CPU usage,with my new card. I tried un-installing the old drivers,disabling the onboard video,enabled HAL through the msconfig,but all without any luck.In order for this card to work,i even changed my PSU to 670 WATTS as well. I changed the BIOS primary video adapter option to PCI-E also.Does any one know what`s goin on here?Any help really appreciated.
    i`m having an Athlon 64 3200 2Ghz,1.5Gb RAM,ATI Xpress 200(Old one) integrated graphics.My mobo is MS-7184 VER:1.0.

ERROR 1: 

Product
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

Problem
    Could not load driver software

Date
    29/11/2007 12:49

Status
    Report Sent

Description
    Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 21.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: PnPDeviceProblemCode
    Architecture: x86
    Hardware Id: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9588&SUBSYS_200317AF&REV_00
    Setup class GUID: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    PnP problem code: 00000015
    Driver name: atikmdag.sys
    Driver version: 7.1.1.646
    Driver date: 06-07-2007
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 6153

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
    DMI59D5.tmp.log.xml
    oem14.inf

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 124433565

ERROR 2:

Product

Driver software installation

Problem

Could not install driver software for device

Date

29/11/2007 12:32

Status

Report Sent

Description

Windows encountered a problem while installing device drivers for your ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: PnPDriverInstallError

Architecture: x86

Win32 error: 000005B4

Inf name: cl_48675.inf

Driver Package hash: 5a1c584db1981c5faf5f225eb45726203cf746e1

DDInstall section name: ati2mtag_RV630

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 6153

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)

DMIF708.tmp.log.xml

oem14.inf

minidump.mdmp

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 47619569

Monday, December 10, 2007 7:49 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

As for this high CPU issue, we generally need to analyze the performance monitor logs and memory dump files to locate the root cause. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forums because of the nature of community support. A support call to our product service team is needed for the debugging service. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Based on my experience, such issues are very possibly caused by device drivers. Therefore, for your convenience, I'd like to provide some suggestions to see if we can eliminate this problem:

1.  Update the motherboard driver designed for Windows Vista.

Note: I fail to find the compatibility information of the MS-7184. Please make sure whether it’s compatible with Windows Vista by contacting the manufacturer.

2.  Cancel the request of automatically installing driver after you plug the video card, and install the latest driver downloaded from official website:

For 32-bit system:
    http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista32/common-vista32

For 64-bit system:
    http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista64/common-vista64

3.  Perform a clean boot to exclude the possible factors from 3rd party applications and services.

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

4.  Contact ATI to report this issue, check whether there is a confliction with existing devices.

Hope it helps!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:29 AM
  • i found a solution

Originally Posted by dicky
    I opened the Device Manager and selected the "Device by connection" view. I went looking for "ATI HD 2600XT" entry and it was listed under "PCI Standard PCI to PCI bridge" along with another entry called "High Definition Audio Controller". And sure enough, when I disabled that, the CPU load went back to normal! I wasn't using HD Audio, so this is perfectly acceptable.

this work for me

thanks.

• Marked as answer by san2222 Monday, March 4, 2013 5:38 PM
    Monday, December 8, 2008 1:52 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

As for this high CPU issue, we generally need to analyze the performance monitor logs and memory dump files to locate the root cause. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forums because of the nature of community support. A support call to our product service team is needed for the debugging service. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Based on my experience, such issues are very possibly caused by device drivers. Therefore, for your convenience, I'd like to provide some suggestions to see if we can eliminate this problem:

1.  Update the motherboard driver designed for Windows Vista.

Note: I fail to find the compatibility information of the MS-7184. Please make sure whether it’s compatible with Windows Vista by contacting the manufacturer.

2.  Cancel the request of automatically installing driver after you plug the video card, and install the latest driver downloaded from official website:

For 32-bit system:
    http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista32/common-vista32

For 64-bit system:
    http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista64/common-vista64

3.  Perform a clean boot to exclude the possible factors from 3rd party applications and services.

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

4.  Contact ATI to report this issue, check whether there is a confliction with existing devices.

Hope it helps!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:29 AM
  • Thank you..that answers my issue..

Thursday, December 13, 2007 7:52 PM
  • Oh thank goodness I'm not alone on this problem.  I have an ATI Radeon HD3450 and am having the exact same problem.  I worked just fine on XP, but the moment I installed Vista all *** broke loose.  After numerous calls to Diamond (card manufacturer) I gave up and just went back to my on board video.  And yes, all drivers are current...  I wish problems could be fixed that easily sometimes.

Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:47 PM
  • You know what..the problem still remains..and I have not used the card till now.Any way,
    I think the problem seems to arise with Vista assigning IRQs.For my PC, Vista gives the same IRQ for both my audio and video.However I cant change the IRQ manually,through the Device manager.

Nuclear Slug,I think u  should look if you too have the same problem( i:e sharing the same IRQSs)
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Did you ever find a solution to this+ I have same problem, upgraded from a 1650pro to a 2600pro and the cpu is constantly at 100% in vista. No problem with xp on the same machine and no problem with the card in another machine running vista.

Mobo ms-7184

Graphics sapphire radeon 2600pro

Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:52 PM
  • No Sprett..the problem is not solved yet...
    Friday, October 17, 2008 9:41 AM
  • Ok, i have done some serious testing with this now. I have 2 hp computers with this motherborad, ms-7184, almost identical machines. One with a athlon 64 3400+ and one with a sempron 3400+. Both using latest mobo bios, 3.47.

In the Athlon 64 machine i have a Radeon 1950pro and windows xp, running just great. I have never tried Vista on this one.

In the Sempron machine i have used a Radeon 1650 ultimate until now. It has worked great with both Xp and vista. This is the machine i decided to upgrade with a Radeon 2600 pro. Immediately after the change of graphics it stills runs great with xp but with vista it turns slow as *** due to 100% cpu usage all the time. In xp it gives, just as expected, a nice 30% higher score in 3d mark 06.

If i change back to the old card or remove the 2600 pro and use the built-in chip it runs good again in Vista.

Of course i also tried with both audio and network chip disabled and without the dvd plugged in. So, basically just hdd and graphics with no sucess.

So, now i decide this, i unplug the hdd and use an empty one from my spare parts. Boots from dvd and gets real slow even before it starts to install and the installation takes for ever.....

Ok, new test, i do the same as before except i boot up with an xp disc, formats and makes a clean install with xp sp2. No problems at all, works as always. Now i decide to put in the vista installation disc and make an upgrade from xp to vista. The computer starts to install at full speed until it makes it first automatic restart, at about 45% installation ready, and immediatley after that it turns slow as *** again.

So, i have used up all my ideas and think i have to accept that this card just wont work with vista on that mobo.

Oh, i also tried this card in another vista machine running a socket 775 dual core. Works perfectly.

All ideas is welcome in this matter, mostly because i love to solve computer problems.

Friday, October 17, 2008 3:02 PM
  • My mb is similar to urs(I think),visit here to see it.My CPU is AMD Athlon 64 3200+

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=ie&dlc=en&product=1101432&rule=35315&lang=en&docname=c00378480

As for the problem...I havnt tried it for Xp yet..I even changed the PSU to 500 Waat.But still no lock.The problem only arises when the card is plugged in.If its taken out..its smooth as ever.Some say this may be due to lack of power from the +12V rails in the PSU,but I doubt it.
    Friday, October 17, 2008 6:32 PM
  • This problem has nothing to do with the psu, i have definately powerful enough psu´s. I have, of course, changed the original ones. Recommended for this card is 400 watt, no definition about how much needed on the 12 volt. But i use 500 watts psu´s with 2 seperate 12 volt lines with 20 amps each. Same as in main computer with a dual core and a Geforce 8800gts. So, plenty of power! And besides, it works flawless with xp.

Friday, October 17, 2008 9:50 PM
  • I have the same issue with a 256MB HD 2600XT running the CPU at 100% on Vista x64.  There are two differences:

1) I have a dual core Athlon 64 X2 3800+ and only one core is at 100%.

2) The motherboard is an ECS RX480-A but has the same ATi Xpress 200 chipset, but no integrated video.

I actually have 3 of these motherboards, two of them have X2 3800+ processors, and the other is an Opteron 170 (also dual core).  The behavior is the same on all 3.  I moved the 2600XT to an Intel system, a P43 chipset with an E4600 and the card performed just fine.  It is also a Vista x64 system.

Whatever the problem is, it is related to the Xpress 200 chipset + Vista + 2600 series graphics cards.  The card ran fine in XP for me also.  As I mentioned, I have 3 of the same motherboard, plus the Intel board.  All of my video cards are ATi/AMD based.  I have a 1600XT, 1650 Pro, 1950XT and now a 4850 (to replace the 2600XT because I got fed up trying to make it work).  All of the other video cards run fine on the Xpress 200 chipset based motherboards.

*Update*

I looked in Processor Explorer (download from MS), and in my dual core systems, the 2nd core (id = 1) is the one that is pegged at 100% in all cases.  Under the System Idle task, it shows a hardware interrupt as the cause.  It is the reason the core is running full speed.

Friday, November 14, 2008 9:03 PM
  • Is yours Vista SP1? And do you know how a hardware interrput occurs?Is it related to the IRQs?
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:45 AM
  • Yes, my systems have SP1.  I would think the hardware interrupt are tied to the IRQs.  For my video cards, I get an IRQ of 4294967294, which is 2^32 - 2 on the Intel system, but 4294967293, on the Xpress 200 chipset systems.  There is a 'PCI Standard PCI to PCI Bridge' IRQ on 4294967294.  I don't know whether or not this is having any effect on the constant interrupts being triggered.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 8:13 PM
  • I was told that we cant change IRQs,so i think we are stuck.I just dont know what else to do.Have you contacted AMD/ATI?
    Im just a 21 year old,so i dont know a great deal about Computer Hardwares?But I really hope there was a solution to this.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 11:30 AM
  • I contacted AMD/ATI last year,they suggested a solution wich is this:
    http://support.ati.com/ics/tt/getFile.asp?ticketID=1293814&file=TICKET83d5e871a2e1688c718688cb4f7a3fc0.html&hash=4FF8C69A8798A165A033C26A6AF65059

I tried those last year,but still it dint work..
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 11:41 AM
  •  

Vista manages the IRQ's and you shouldn't be able to manually set them.  Most of those fixes state they are carried over into SP1 except for the first one.  I don't experience any of the problems described in the fix, just that the CPU core is pegged at 100%.  I suspect that the fix is in SP1 since I don't read of people having the problems described there for those who have SP1.  When the Catalyst drivers are installed, you also get a Northbridge driver.  That is for the Xpress 200.  It doesn't show up on other motherboards.  I would bet money that's where the bug resides.  The CPU 100% issue has been there from day one on the 2600 on the Xpress 200 on Vista, and I think it's an AMD issue to solve.  The default motherboard drivers that come with Vista exhibit the behavior too.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 7:51 PM
  • So where do u think the problem lies? With the chipset or with the motherboard?
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 8:54 PM
  • It seems to be chipset related.  I have an ECS board and others with the issue have one manufactured by MSI.  If I can find a way to make it work, I'll be sure to post here.  I am going to try and contact AMD and see what they have to say.

Monday, November 17, 2008 1:57 AM
  • Ok..have a go with the Customaer care department of AMD,i hope they give u a reasonable answer...
    Monday, November 17, 2008 8:01 AM
  • I have done some searching on this matter.There seems to be an another way off trobleshooting.This way..is to download the Latest Stable version of ATI Tray Tool..and then go to Tools And Options---->General Options----->Advanced, and here uncheck "Enable ATT Shared Memory"...and then restart your system.If it works..then Great...otherwise...wait and wait for a solution to magically appear..lol
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:07 PM
  • LoL, well I found another card that does the same thing, the Radeon HD 4670.  What makes this more amusing is that I have this card on order.  I'll be using it in a PC with an Intel chipset so I won't have troubles, but when I get around to contacting AMD, I'll have two video cards I can try in my boards so I can help them debug.  The motherboard he mentions is from MSI but has the same chipset.  Here is the blurb from NewEgg:

Pros: runs quiet, low power consumption when idle. works fine with my P43 motherboard, but see below.

Cons: the card is originally supposed to go to an older hp a1250n (socket 939 + 3800x2) for media center, and the card would spent 100% cpu on one core servicing hardware interrupts under both freshly installed vista 32 and vista 64 (it works fine under XP). The hp box actually has an MSI motherboard...

Other Thoughts: i don't play serious games, so low idle power is important for me in a video card. i was hoping to use hardware video decoding of this card with an older box for media center. watch out if you have have a box with MSI MS-7184 motherboard or similar.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814127383

The suggestion you gave did nothing for me, but thanks for the attempt.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:59 AM
  • i found a solution

I opened the Device Manager and selected the "Device by connection" view. I went looking for "ATI HD 2600XT" entry and it was listed under "PCI Standard PCI to PCI bridge" along with another entry called "High Definition Audio Controller". And sure enough, when I disabled that, the CPU load went back to normal! I wasn't using HD Audio, so this is perfectly acceptable.

this work for me

thanks.

• Marked as answer by san2222 Monday, March 4, 2013 5:38 PM
    Monday, December 8, 2008 1:52 PM
  • Thanks for that,I will try it later and reply soon(maybe!)
    Monday, December 8, 2008 7:24 PM
  • This worked for me!  The CPU on the 2nd core immediately dropped when I disabled the HD Audio Controller on the card.  Thank you very much!

I located the device here after I viewed the devices by connection in the Device Manager:

ACPI x64-based PC->Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System->ATI PCI Express (3GIO) Filter Driver->PCI standard PCI-to-PCI Bridge->ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT->High Definition Audio Controller

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 3:32 AM
  • Thats Good! I will try mine during this week,but my pc is Single Core,i dont think it will work(expecting the worse..lol)

This thread is one year old 2morrow..and someone got a solution finally...lol
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 7:42 AM
  • I am very optimistic that this will work for you.  I also tried it on a single core SiS 756 chipset that was having the same problem in XP with a 100% load.  I had the Task Manager up, and as soon as I clicked the 'disable' button on the device, the CPU usage dropped all the way down.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 3:35 PM
  • Yay!! Sure enough...it Worked"
    Thank you chessko...!! and whoever is dicky,i should pay him(i wished i  had a job..lol).This card have been sitting under my bed for a year now..lol
    Thank  you abm100 for your comments as well, and all others who contributed to this thread....

I know its very late....but still something is better than nothing...
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 7:32 PM
  • Today i thought i´d take a look in this forum again just to see if there had been any new replies. I was happy to see there had been wuite a lot of replies and even a solution.

I tried the solution described in this thread and it worked perfect.

This leaves me with 2 real annoying thoughts :1. First i am real dissapointed at myself for not figuring this out since i had all the puzzlepieces at had to solve it. But this thought is swept away by the fact that someone else had found a solution!

2: The other question is how the h*ll a company as AMD can release 2 products that aren´t even compatible to each other? Yes, i know they don´t make the audiochip but it iss still an integrated part of the drivers......Shape up, AMD! Otherwise i will turn back to Nvidia....again!
    Friday, January 9, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Hey I have the MSI 7184 on the HP m7334n ( HD 2600 Pro with 512MB of memory) and I was also having the same same problem of CPU core 2 working at 100% in idle state, which slowed down the computer on Vista and Win7RC. But th esystem worked fine in win media centre 2005. After reading the noted I also disabled the HD audio in devices by connection and now my system works fine even on win 7RC with core 2 back to normal and with better speed.

All this time I had thought it might have been the BIOS or Vista. But Thanks guys for posting this clue.

Monday, July 27, 2009 7:42 PM
  • i found a solution

this work for me

thanks.

Wow, that totally worked for me too!

For anyone else doing the same, I just upgraded my ~2005 Emachines T6212 (has an MSI motherboard MS-7093 VER 1.0) to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ dual core CPU, put in an ASUS EAH4350 silent video card and upgraded to Windows 7.  The more obscure steps needed were:

1. upgrade the Phoenix Award BIOS from version 3.3 to 3.9.  Somewhere in the list of upgrades includes the ability to use AMD dual cores - otherwise only one core is active.  I downloaded the BIOS from the MSI website, as well as their LiveUpdate 4 program, and installed the BIOS using the Windows mode (dangerous but it worked perfectly).  Note that updating the BIOS wipes all your previous settings, so beforehand I took quick digital pictures of every BIOS screen so I knew how to reset things.  The only other gotchas with the new BIOS:

- DEL is the key to use during startup to get into the BIOS settings - before it was F2.  Unlike with 3.3, no instructions are shown on the screen to tell you this.

- you can't have a CD/DVD drive as the first in the boot order - previously it detected no CD/DVD and went straight to the next boot item, which I had as the hard drives; now it gives an error that /<windows root>/system32/hal.dll is not found and stops.  Change the boot order to boot from hard disk first and everythings ok.

2. Task Manager in Windows 7 will show the second CPU at 100%, servicing endless interrupts.  The fix above takes care of it... Computer.Manage, open Device Manager, More Actions.View.Devices by type, open System Devices and find "High Definition Audio Controller", right-click and Disable.

3. Install the AMD Dual Core Optimizer, from the AMD website.

With all this my PassMark Performance Test number went from 267 up to 481 - an 80% improvement!  And as an added bonus, Standby now works for the first time in 5 years!

Friday, July 9, 2010 3:55 PM