Mangement Pack dependencies RRS feed

• Question

• I've read everything I can find about deleting management packs with dependencies in other MPs, but I can't figure this out.  I know that all overrides should be created in a new MP specifically for overrides for the original MP, but unfortunately I inherited this environment and there's a couple years of overirdes to cleanup.

I'm trying to delete the Dell Management Pack 3.0.0.27, since the newer Dell MPs say you can't upgrade 3 it must be deleted first.  I've used Boris' excellent Overrides Explorer to delete all the overrides I can find that reference the Dell MP, but I'm not sure I know exactly what to look for.  But the MP still has 3 MPs dependent on it.

I found some posts like this one: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/operationsmanagermgmtpacks/thread/0f5e0012-c4a5-49f2-8b84-0badf5c6b7d1 that say I need to export the MP to XML, delete the orphaned references, then import it replacing the old one. But I can't export this Dell MP, probably because it's sealed.

Help!

Friday, May 14, 2010 4:12 PM

Answers

• You shouldn't have to export the Dell MP to XML. You need to take a look at the three MPs that are dependent on the Dell MP. If they are unsealed, you should be able to export them, clean up the references (like the post you linked explains) and reimport.

If they are sealed, then you will have to delete them. (Of course something else may be dependent on those. In that case, you'll have to export and clean up whatever's dependent on that.)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    • Proposed as answer by Marcin Jastrzebski Monday, May 17, 2010 5:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Friday, May 21, 2010 10:34 AM
    Friday, May 14, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Yes, not only the references need to be cleaned up, but anythign that uses the Connections alias.

You aren't specific about whether it wa the same unsealed MP that references any of the DELL mp files that the Dell.Connections.DellSystem id comes from.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Thursday, May 27, 2010 10:00 AM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 4:18 PM
  • Yeah, I would delete it to be safe. If you miss something, the MP won't re-import and an event will be dropped somewhere (RMS, I think) explaining why it won't import or you still won't be able to uninstall the Dell MP.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Monday, May 17, 2010 5:26 PM

All replies

• You shouldn't have to export the Dell MP to XML. You need to take a look at the three MPs that are dependent on the Dell MP. If they are unsealed, you should be able to export them, clean up the references (like the post you linked explains) and reimport.

If they are sealed, then you will have to delete them. (Of course something else may be dependent on those. In that case, you'll have to export and clean up whatever's dependent on that.)

• Marked as answer by Yog Li Friday, May 21, 2010 10:34 AM
    Friday, May 14, 2010 4:57 PM
  • OK, that makes sense, I was confused about which MP to edit.  So I found only one reference:

<Reference Alias="Connections">
        <ID>Dell.Connections.001</ID>
        <Version>3.0.0.27</Version>
        <PublicKeyToken>xxx</PublicKeyToken>
      </Reference>

I will delete that.  No override tags with "Connections!" in the name, probably because I deleted them with Overrides Explorer.

But I also found several occurrences of "Dell" under the <View> elements:

<ColumnInfo blah blah blah>
        <Name>Dell Systems Instances</Name>
        <Id>Dell.Connections.DellSystem</Id>
      </ColumnInfo>

Should I delete these as well, or will these get deleted when the MP is deleted?  And should I increase the version of the MP before I import it, or is that bad if I want it to replace the one that I exported from?

Thanks!

Friday, May 14, 2010 5:28 PM
  • Yes, not only the references need to be cleaned up, but anythign that uses the Connections alias.

You aren't specific about whether it wa the same unsealed MP that references any of the DELL mp files that the Dell.Connections.DellSystem id comes from.

Microsoft Corporation
    Monday, May 17, 2010 4:18 PM
  • Yeah, I would delete it to be safe. If you miss something, the MP won't re-import and an event will be dropped somewhere (RMS, I think) explaining why it won't import or you still won't be able to uninstall the Dell MP.

Monday, May 17, 2010 5:26 PM
  • You aren't specific about whether it wa the same unsealed MP that references any of the DELL mp files that the Dell.Connections.DellSystem id comes from.

I have a sealed Dell MP that can't be deleted because of one unsealed MP that depends on the Dell MP.  All of the Dell references I mentioned are in the unsealed MP.

Do I need to increase the version number from 1.0.0.0 in the unsealed MP before re-importing it?

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:18 PM