none
Update a specific file using Item Level Targeting

Question

• Ok so I am currently using a GPP to pull a file from SYSVOL and apply it to all domain computers. What I am trying to find out is if there is a way to use item level targeting to update the file on the users systems when the file gets updated, but only then, I am currently set to applying this once and not again.

In case there is any confusion allow me to give a scenario:

File "Java123.jar" is in location "\\zxy.pdq\sysvol\xyz.pdq\java\Java123.jar"

Policy "JAVAJAR Computer Update" takes the "Java123.jar" file and copies it using GPP into location: "C:\\PDQ\JAVA\Java123.jar"

Because we have instances where this specific file needs to be removed from a users system and NOT reapply the file until it is updated we have the "Apply once and do not reapply" setting set to "Yes".

Can GPP be set up in such as way to only update the file when the files modification or creation date has been changed? As this file has no versioning information it can't be updated in that manner.

By all means if I am out in left field here please let me know. I accept constructive criticism openly. Thank you -Tony 

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 5:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Tony,
    According to your description, it sounds like that you would like to use GPP to copy a file using item level targeting based on the file date, am I right?
    If that is the case, as far as I know, there is no such targeting items, please see: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733022(v=ws.11).aspx
    And in my opinion, you could have a try to use a startup or logon script to copy the file based on your request, it might need scripting skills for help.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:05 AM
  • Thank you Wendy. Looks like I will be going to speak with our resident PowerShell guru :) -T.
    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:00 PM
  • You might be able to use a WMI filter on the GPO using LastModified -

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa387236%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I use a similar function to check for browser version 

SELECT * FROM CIM_DataFile WHERE Filename="Jar123.jar" AND Path="\\PDQ\\JAVA\\" AND LastModified = ....

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:12 PM
  • Hi Tony,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 6:19 AM