none
Microsoft Windows 7, Home Premium RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased, Microsoft Windows 7, Home Premium, Box Pack. Installed on my machine. Activated and registered it successfully. After few days I formatted it and installed Windows XP. After about a month I again, installed Windows 7. While activating it on the net, I got the message that this key is already in use. With great difficulty I activated it by phone. Don't you think that I should be able to activate it on the net when this is installed one only one machine and that too on the same machine
    • Moved by Ted WayMicrosoft employee Friday, April 30, 2010 5:38 PM Windows related (From:Microsoft Office Volume Activation)
    Friday, April 30, 2010 11:37 AM

Answers

• OK. I'll play.

I think the product should activate on-line if it simply re-installed on the same machine and without complication and without fail.

Alas, it is not that simple. If it were, I could simply have a BMW 1 Series Coupé by thinkking that the BMW deasler dhould give me one - free.

For one thing, the activation authority has to include a way of determining whether or not it was the same machine. Yours, for some reason, failed that test. Possibly the failure was connected to the re-format. After format, the HD was detected as a different drive than that used in the original installation.

All the best.

Tom

Saturday, May 1, 2010 5:48 PM

All replies

• You are in the wrong forum, because

1. This is a forum for Microsoft Office, but you are having a problem with Windows 7
    2. This is a forum about Volume Activation and you are having a problem with a Retail Version
    Friday, April 30, 2010 2:23 PM
  • You are in the wrong forum, because

1. This is a forum for Microsoft Office, but you are having a problem with Windows 7
    2. This is a forum about Volume Activation and you are having a problem with a Retail Version

Thank you.
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 2:05 AM
  • OK. I'll play.

I think the product should activate on-line if it simply re-installed on the same machine and without complication and without fail.

Alas, it is not that simple. If it were, I could simply have a BMW 1 Series Coupé by thinkking that the BMW deasler dhould give me one - free.

For one thing, the activation authority has to include a way of determining whether or not it was the same machine. Yours, for some reason, failed that test. Possibly the failure was connected to the re-format. After format, the HD was detected as a different drive than that used in the original installation.

All the best.

Tom

Saturday, May 1, 2010 5:48 PM
  • OK. I'll play.

All the best.

Tom

Thank you Tom
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 1:52 AM