none
Sharing Project file from OneDrive for Business always read-only RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project file in my OneDrive for Business folder which I shared with a co-worker giving them Edit permission.  However when they try to open the project it always comes up as read-only.  How do they open it for editing?  Am I missing a step?
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 2:23 PM

All replies

• I'm not seeing that.  Did you share the file or just the folder?  If I share the file, I can open and edit without any prompt.  If I share the folder, but not explicitly the file, I see the following message:

If I select Edit, the file opens as expected.

Tested using Project 2010 files.
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 3:24 PM
  • Hi Julie!  I am sharing just the MPP file with Edit permissions.  When they open it in Project 2013 Pro it opens Read-Only every time and I can't see anyway to change that.  Is there maybe something I have to do within Project to indicate this file will be shared --- in addition to me indicating it can be edited with OneDrive for Business?  Or something my co-worker has to do to indicate they want to edit it (kind of like what you have to do in Excel when you open a shared document).

Thursday, April 16, 2015 3:31 PM
  • Ah, thanks for the information that you are using Project 2013.  I just switched over to a 2013 system and see the same thing.  However, I was able to do a "Save As" and save over the original file (same name).

Just to be clear - even though the file is stored on OneDrive, two people cannot have the same file open read/write.  You colleague is not attempting to open the file while you still have it open, correct?

Thursday, April 16, 2015 4:27 PM
  • Correct Julie, I did not have it open at the time my co-worker tried to open it.  After you did the Save As did it actually update the file in the other person's one-drive folder?  And were you then able to edit it?  That sounds like a klugey workaround but if that is how to get it to work for now I'll take it.  Seems to me Project 2013 still doesn't understand OneDrive for Business fully yet.
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 5:03 PM
  • Yes.  A Save AS allowed me to save editing changing and update the copy on OneDrive.  I was able to edit it passing the file back and forth through OneDrive for Business.  As I noted, Project 2010 (on Windows 7) worked without issue.  Project 2013 on Windows 8.1 was where I ran in to the Read Only issue.

Thursday, April 16, 2015 9:39 PM
  • Same here Julie.  We are using Project 2013 Pro on Win 8.1.  Maybe there will be a patch to Project 2013 Pro to rectify the problem.
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 9:46 PM