Manual System Restore RRS feed

• Question

• After dealing with a virus (Incredimail), I tried to system restore manually.  When I reached the page, there wasn't the second option to manually restore it by setting a date.  I thought that was weird because I had done it before.  I had my friend pull up the system restore page on his Win 7 laptop, and he had the second option.  How do I get the second option back on my computer.  It is a Win 7 machine (ASUS). Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html

I looked at this.  It looks like the picture in part 6, while I want it to be the picture in part 7.

Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

System Restore automatically creates a restore point before the following events:

•Application installation (provided the application utilizes an installer that is System Restore compliant). If the application install causes system problems, the user can restore the system to a state before the installation of the application.
     •AutoUpdate installation. AutoUpdate provides an easy way for users to download critical Windows updates. After the update is downloaded, the user can install the update on the system. If the user chooses to install the update, System Restore creates a restore point before the installation of the update begins.
     •System restore. For example, if a user accidentally chooses the wrong restore point, the user can undo the restore operation by choosing a restore point before the system restore took place. The user can then choose the correct restore point.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, December 26, 2011 2:32 AM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:32 AM
  • Hi,

Also, if you do not have an undo restore point, maybe this point is very old and repalced by newer one.

Juke Chou

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you have ever done System Restore, it will apprea a Undo option just like the picture 7.

Please click Next button and you are going to see the System point listed in the window.

Juke Chou

Friday, December 2, 2011 8:07 AM
  • Yeah, that is what's supposed to happen. I did a System Restore in October when my computer would freeze 30 seconds after startup.  Yet it's not happening (showing up as picture 7).  Any more ideas, like how to manually do a system restore by a specific date?  Thanks.
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:18 AM

• If there are no dates listed, then the virus or the virus cleaner may have wiped out any previous restore points, especially if the virus had infected them also.

Another method to check if there are any still there is using System Restore from Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt:

On boot up, press F8 until the Windows boot menu appears.
    Arrow down to Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt and press Enter.
    Once the command window is up, type in

%systemroot%\system32\rstrui.exe

and press Enter.
    It may take a little while, but the System Restore GUI will come up, and you can continue on as you normally would from within Windows. If you still don't have any previous dates to choose, then there are none, and you'll have to rely on one of your system backups that you (hopefully) created before the virus struck.

SC Tom

Saturday, December 3, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Thanks but that's the same program that I tried before.  It didn't work.  How do I set it up to create restore points automatically (say, every week or so)?  Thanks again.
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 6:07 PM
  • Hi,

System Restore automatically creates a restore point before the following events:

•Application installation (provided the application utilizes an installer that is System Restore compliant). If the application install causes system problems, the user can restore the system to a state before the installation of the application.
     •AutoUpdate installation. AutoUpdate provides an easy way for users to download critical Windows updates. After the update is downloaded, the user can install the update on the system. If the user chooses to install the update, System Restore creates a restore point before the installation of the update begins.
     •System restore. For example, if a user accidentally chooses the wrong restore point, the user can undo the restore operation by choosing a restore point before the system restore took place. The user can then choose the correct restore point.

Juke Chou

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:32 AM
  • Hi,

Also, if you do not have an undo restore point, maybe this point is very old and repalced by newer one.

Juke Chou

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:35 AM