AppV and SCCM 2012 Mandatory assignments RRS feed

• Question

• We just recently deployed SCCM 2012 and I am trying to update my troubleshooting documentation used by our help desk and am trying to figure out how to work around a potential issue/annoyance related to troubleshooting steps.

Previously, if someone had an issue with an App I had the help desk run a repair and if that doesn't work they worked down the list and the last option was to delete the app from the AppV client console.  They would then go to Run Advertised programs and rerun the advertisement which would place the shortcuts back on the desktop/startmenu etc.  But, in my tests, that no longer works,  I am not seeing a way for the user to rerun an application once it is set to mandatory.

A couple options I am thinking about:

1) for each appv app, I have 2 collections.  1 for a mandatory install and 1 for an available install, which is where I put my helpdesk techs and the app owner.  What I would do here is add the users to both collections.

2) force the techs to log off the user and log on as themselves to do any troubleshooting, which makes the call even longer.  especially since the user has to log on to test and there may be several log off / ons during this process.  Previously, to get around the admin requirements for deleting, the helpdesk would run sftmc.msc (or whatever the MSC app is called) as an admin and that allowed them to delete it.

3) Something I am missing?  I have been using SCCM 2007 and AppV for a while now and I may be too set in my ways to see another option.

Thanks for any input.

Mike

Monday, July 16, 2012 5:36 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Create a deployment to uninstall and a new deployment to install (thats available) and publish it in the application catalog.

It is never recommended to delete any virtual applications directly from the SFTMMC if ConfigMgr is used (2007 and 2012).

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, July 16, 2012 6:50 PM

All replies