Welcome to the Windows XP SP3 Forum! RRS feed

• General discussion

• This forum is provided for general discussions, technical help and feedback on Windows XP SP3, scheduled for release in the first half of 2008. Between now and release, the focus will be on the Release Candidate (RC) available from TechNet. We encourage questions or discussions around installation, deployment, usage, and hardware and application compatibility issues. 

While the SP3 update is available for anyone, we want to remind you that it is pre-release software, and is time-limited, and is intended for IT professionals, developers, and other technically-inclined individuals that are comfortable using pre-release software.

The SP3 download can be found at Microsoft Download Center. More overview information on what is in SP3 can be found on the Windows XP TechCenter.

Thanks, and we look forward to hearing from you.

-Tony Mann

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:40 PM

All replies

• HI. The service pack 3 it works great. It has some little problem. but i can live with that for a few month. the problem, that i have found. it does not work 100% with yahoo messenger. it does not work great with internet explore 6. the first day that you use the system it look like it wont work great, but the next day start behaving very good. a new thing that i have notice it's that when an application stop, it does not stop the whole system. and this is really great.
    sorry for my english. i'm not from th usa.
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 4:09 PM
  • Hi,

My friend just installed SP3 on his laptop and he is having some problems opening my computer and also itunes and MSN did not work and some of his other programs do not work as well. But i also installed SP3 and it works fine on my computer and i also use itunes. Do you have any solutions?

thanks
    Monday, December 24, 2007 10:47 PM
  • Why has IE7 been left out of SP3?  This should be a part of this update

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 6:21 PM
  • after downloading this update because my software update program said i should, i am now unable to sign on to my company website to transact business.  when i try to sign on the site states that it does not recognize my user id and passcode.  Just to verify, on another computer i verified everything and it worked. how do i fix this problem?  Thanks for your help in advance tony

Thursday, December 27, 2007 6:53 PM
  •  Stimp wrote:

Why has IE7 been left out of SP3?  This should be a part of this update

It wasn't left out. IE 7 isn't a service update.Although any IE7 updates will be included in SP3.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 1:10 AM
  • i cant see any significant changes from installing SP3 is it just security patches?

Friday, December 28, 2007 12:11 PM
  • I have Windows XP MCE SP2, chose to install SP3 and so went ahead and installed SP3. I noticed that after installing it, everytime I reboot my laptop it spikes to 100% for quite a while and at times I need to kill processes - especially WMI.

Any body else having similar issues ?

Saturday, December 29, 2007 2:45 PM
  • I see that Microsoft no longer makes no mention of this SP3 being "pre-release" software on their web site.  Thus it seems it should be available for the general public to down load if they are switched on enough to do it. (It is not yet part of Windows automatic update).  Can anyone confirm whether it is still pre-release or not?

I have some questions and I hope that MS or someone knowledgeable can answer them:

1) I have XP with SP2 and have installed all the automatic downloads which have been offered.  Is there any point in now down loading SP3?  Will I just get a repeat of all the previous downloads? 

2) Will I get anything new that I want or need?  Or worse, will I get anything that I don't want?

3) One web site ( www     soft32/download_123572.html contains the following warning: "Each hotfix needs to be installed manually".  Is this true?

4) The same site also says "when downloading, you may also get additional applications bundled with the software's installer file. These third party application may represent a hazard for your computer, so you will need to carefully read the installation notes."  Is this true?   What are these "additional applications"?

5) I also read the following: "This download may include additional applications bundled with the software's installer file. Third-party applications bundled with this download may record your surfing habits, deliver advertising, collect private information, or modify your system settings. Pay close attention to the end user license agreement and installation options."    This sounds scary!  Is it true?

6) Lastly they say "In conclusion: If your copy of Windows is legit and genuine, I see absolutely no reason for downloading this package."   Any views from other users, or Microsoft?

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 10:08 AM
  •  

You won't see much in the way of improved functionality, buy Vista dude.

SP3 is mostly bundled security patches and hot fixed, but they did include Network Access Protection, Black Hole Router Detection, a Change to setup (no longer need to provide a MAK Key).. if your just a regular user, you won't notice much of a change...

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 11:37 AM
  •  

yes there is a change in SP3. It goes faster as i can tell and i had my desktop for 6 and a half years and it finally improved speed. My friends I had get it also agree it does on there computer.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 6:20 PM
  •  Brian Siegfried wrote:

yes there is a change in SP3. It goes faster as i can tell and i had my desktop for 6 and a half years and it finally improved speed. My friends I had get it also agree it does on there computer.

Hello

I just recently installed XP_SP3 v3264, The download took just about 10 minutes from Microsoft. It seems to be working OK and it seems to react a little bit quicker.

Sometimes it doe's have a slight hangup with Outlook Express in the first 5 minutes of startup but then it is OK.

Now there is a good part on this so far and that is that it is more responsive but after using Gadgets that monitor CPU and RAM use there is a difference from SP2 to SP3

CPU after 1 minute from start is 4% higher from SP2 (SP2@ 0% Idle)

RAM after 1 minute from start is 11% higher from SP2 (SP2@ 32% Idle)

Overall SP3 might just be a new configuration from SP2 but it seems that it is working OK, We need to keep in mind that the hotfix's are all almost like SP2 and that there are only about 3 or 4 new Items that may or may not be to your advantage, that depends on your unit.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 2:16 AM
  • It is my guess that the last version of SP3 v3264 has left out the last IE7 update back at the end of Novenber, I had some problems too.

(A) It had problems going on to certain sights.

(B) could not go into IE settings.

I uninstalled the New SP3 and then cleared out the Internet logs including the cache, shut down and then restarted.

(1) after the computer went through the Virus/Spyware Scan.

(2) Shut Down the Virus Program.

(3) Downloaded and Ran the latest IE7.

(4) Downloaded and Ran the SP3 v3264

(5) Restarted the computer, ran my clean disk and then defragmenter.

(6) Finally turned the Windows Live OneCare (Virus, Spyware and Firewall)

It has been 3 weeks now and everthing has worked great, I did disable the SNMP services.

The Good is it reacts about 6% faster then SP2

The Bad is, It use's 8% more memory then SP2 but by all means it reacts 40% better then the New Vista that requires 3 times the resources then that of XP.

Good Luck, please keep in mind that all computers are not created equal, In regards to this unit, it is 5 years old and it has a 1.2 AMD processor with 1024 of SDRAM, the programs on this unit is Windows XP_SP3, Office XP 2002, Lexmark, Labtek, Adobe Reader, PC Optimize 2.0 and finally Windows Live OneCare, all are running good and up to date.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 7:11 PM
  • I decided to try XP SP3rc1 on my Windows XP Home Desktop desktop.  Before doing so, I made sure hard drive had been optimized to best state.  I also, patched IE 7 to the most current version available  - that would be the version with .13 at the end of the version number.  Though I actually use the latest Firefox browser installed on Drive D.
    That latest version was downloadable at the MS download site (10/2007).  I downloaded SP3 package to my 2nd hard drive (USB hard drive volume D).  Made sure all unneccessary applications were closed; reverted to Windows XP original skin and unloaded WindowBlinds, shut down TopDesk 1.53 and also shutdown Mcafee Antivirus.  Started up the XP SP3rc1 upgrade file as best as I could tell it took 20 - 25 minutes to complete the upgrade - did not actually time it. Machine started up after long pause to upgrade some files; after that all was fine.  I subsequently restarted all my applications including WindowBlinds, restored the skin I was using, turned back on TopDesk etc. along with Yahoo Widget engine.  All seems fine with this SP3 package except for a minor hiccup with restarting from Hibernate today.  Shut down machine again with hibernate feature and problem went away as best as I can tell on a subsequent attempt.
        One other thing, this is Dell machine with the hidden unmarked partition removed via a fresh installation of Windows XP Sp2 recovery disk.   Unmarked recovery partition was first on my hard disk and caused a previous attempt at Windows Vista Basic upgrade to fail.  (2 weeks later, when I discovered that hidden partition I reformatted my drive C:.)  Machine is running with several upgrades beyond manufactured base system.)

Current Machine specifications:
    Dell Dimension 1100/B110
    1.5gig Ram 80gb Hard drive C: USB 150gb hard drive D: 2.5gig Celeron D processor
    2 opticals - CD-DVD & CD-DVDRW
    Nividia GeForce 5500 PCI Video card with 256mb memory - (onboard video disabled)
    Diamond Multimedia EXtreme Audio 5.1 PCI card (on board Intel AC97 sound disabled)
    HP PSC1209 ALL in One printer (USB)

Special Note to Dell users:  before any major upgrades to the operating system are attempted (other than Windows update site) make sure your machine is out of warranty and secondly remove Dell's hidden proprietary startup and diagnostic partition.  The only way to do that is to have a Dell OEM copy of Windows XP Home or Professional recovery disk on hand and reinstall the system. You should also have good backup procedure in place. Although I can techically upgrade to Vista now with current and recent video card upgrade and other application upgrades, (either Vista Home or Premium) I am not bothering to due to the previous problems. Would rather wait until I can afford a new machine and buy Vista Home Premium preinstalled.

Sunday, January 6, 2008 12:01 AM
  • I forgot to mention in the previous post above my installation of SP3rc1 appears to have improved machine startups - they are faster.  Also, during the installation, there is a cleanup utility that runs during final phase.  Cleanup appears to be very efficient as I checked the hard drive map with Disk Defragmenter utility before and after.
    Sunday, January 6, 2008 12:12 AM
  •  

I Think that the sp3 should be a security patch,becauze i have not found much interesting in sp3. as we see back sp's  sp2 is having great difference as compared to sp1. Many bugs were removed. I think that microsoft should include the security somewhat like vista.it should as for administrator permission while accessing any of the restricted things.

Regarding hardware ,we can say that vista is an plug play os,as it is releasing after vista, it should support all the devices.even my devices wont support xp,i should install the drivers . about the security i must say sp3 must include bitlocker as in vista.

By the way vista is also kool,but does not support many programs that will have some problem with users but this decline the hacking rates..

Monday, January 28, 2008 12:38 PM
  •  Anasali wrote:

I Think that the sp3 should be a security patch,becauze i have not found much interesting in sp3. as we see back sp's  sp2 is having great difference as compared to sp1. Many bugs were removed. I think that microsoft should include the security somewhat like vista.it should as for administrator permission while accessing any of the restricted things.

Regarding hardware ,we can say that vista is an plug play os,as it is releasing after vista, it should support all the devices.even my devices wont support xp,i should install the drivers . about the security i must say sp3 must include bitlocker as in vista.

By the way vista is also kool,but does not support many programs that will have some problem with users but this decline the hacking rates..

I absolutely do not think XP SP3 sholud be any kind of a patch. It makes absolutely no sence. XP SP3 does not contain any new, no of cource. This we know cause we already have installed the patches XP SP3 contains. But think it through why do we want XP SP3?  Well, for starters,, how many updates are there for a clean install of XP with SP2? over 90. So think again. We  Do  Want  This  SP3 as it comes and as SP's has always arrived.

Btw, there is nothing that tells us that MS has made SP's for application and feature updates like ex: MAC OSX that does huge changes in every release.

Sidenote; why don't we discuss Vista in a vista forum instead?

/fed up forum reader

Thursday, February 7, 2008 11:51 AM
  • mmresident, on 29 Dec 2007, 3:45 PM wrote:

I have Windows XP MCE SP2, chose to install SP3 and so went ahead and installed SP3. I noticed that after installing it, everytime I reboot my laptop it spikes to 100% for quite a while and at times I need to kill processes - especially WMI.

Any body else having similar issues ?

Yes, I'm having similar problems. I have recently installed the SP3 RC2 (don't know if it's the Refresh edition, how do I find out?). I had the first release installed for awhile, no visible problems. But this one seems to be more unstable.

When I log onto my computer, everything is really slow, CPU is up to 100% and I have to kill processes to get going. Mainly it's DORO USB phone (a program to connect Skype to a handset), Skype and Spybot S&D who causes these CPU boosts.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 4:39 PM
  •  Karl0755 wrote:
    I forgot to mention in the previous post above my installation of SP3rc1 appears to have improved machine startups - they are faster.  Also, during the installation, there is a cleanup utility that runs during final phase.  Cleanup appears to be very efficient as I checked the hard drive map with Disk Defragmenter utility before and after.

Hello

I have just installed the Windows XP_SP3 build 3311 from the Microsoft Download Center on this unit which is very old.

This is a Gateway G6-450 that has all the original drivers and software, the only exception that it is running XP instead of Wndows 98SE, the unit only has 256 of SDRAM memory and the processor is a 450mhz, this is very low by today's standards.

The download was about 16 minutes including installation, of course I had to download IE7 again and all of it's updates.

I guess that what I am trying to say is that the bundled update is going to work I think, this makes the second computer that I have installed it on.

Now,  I have tried to download the XP_SP3 build 5508 and have been unable to because of the download time involved, this is of course through Softpedia, the download from Microsoft is not yet ready.

If the download is available from Microsoft or the Download Center please guide me to it.(Please Help)

Sunday, April 6, 2008 12:35 AM
  •  Bandido1 wrote:
    If the download is available from Microsoft or the Download Center please guide me to it.(Please Help)

Bandido1,

SP3 RC2 Refresh (a.k.a. build 5508) is available from Windows/Microsoft Update only, and is to validate improvements to the Windows/Microsoft Update with build 5508. You should uninstalls build 3311 from XP, installs the patch as mentioned in this thread http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3061999&SiteID=17 to set a registry key on your XP machine, and is required for Windows/Microsoft Update to recognize your machine as a valid target for SP3 RC2 Refresh or later builds.

Regards,

Thomas

Sunday, April 6, 2008 1:02 AM
  • Hello People

It sure has turned out to be a great day, I just installed the release of SP3, this I am sure happenned by accident because it is not suppose to be out for the next 2 weeks. Below are the step's that I took.

(1) I went to the Microsoft Download Center

(2) downloaded the Windows XP Release Candidate 2.exe (ONLY)

(3) Closed out the search and restarted my unit.

(4) Ran Windows Update and Buala there it was Windows SP3 Download with no build next to it.

This is just a remark and I guess I feel great because my old system is working great.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 10:36 PM
  •  Bandido1 wrote:
    (4) Ran Windows Update and Buala there it was Windows SP3 Download with no build next to it.

Bandido1,

You can see the build version by using system information, under system summary --> hardware abstraction layer. There are also other ways to see the build version but I didn't want to explain further. A little search should helps you.

Regards,

Thomas

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:29 AM
  • I have noticed the same exact problem with Windows XP Prof SP3. A few minutes right after booting I cannot access the internet with ie or outlook express.  OE does not even load.  Then after a few minutes all is normal. 

Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:50 AM
  • Thomas--Given that..1) the info about "official" SP3 in the forums, including...most MVP's...seems cloudy at best, and 2) the level discourse on the subject often seems higher on non-MS forums right now, but is unreliable...and 3) I've seen your name on a lot of posting that is well informed and clear. How and when will we be able to get the Beast? Even those with premium services are having very mixed results.

Anyway, even if you DON'T know, many thanks for much

quality input!

Darrel

Monday, May 5, 2008 8:54 PM
  •  

I have WU set notify and see it waiting to install as of yesterday. Before I elect to do so, can someone tell me  WHERE CAN I FIND a list of 'what exactly is in SP3' ? I've searched/googled/etc and cannot get the info anywhere.

Will it update IE6 to IE7, OE to MSFT MAIL etc ?

If up to this point I have installed what I've wanted and elected to "NOT update" others by clicking on "do not install" during past WU sessions, will those items install oncd I elect SP3 ?

RJ

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 9:33 PM
  •  - RJ - wrote:
    I have WU set notify and see it waiting to install as of yesterday. Before I elect to do so, can someone tell me  WHERE CAN I FIND a list of 'what exactly is in SP3' ?

Release notes for WinXP SP3
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929

List of fixes that are included in WinXP SP3
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480

Will it update IE6 to IE7, OE to MSFT MAIL etc ?

No.

If up to this point I have installed what I've wanted and elected to "NOT update" others by clicking on "do not install" during past WU sessions, will those items install oncd I elect SP3 ?

See KB946480.

============================================================

WinXP General newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Via the web-interface:
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowxp.general

Via your newsreader:
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general  

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 10:34 PM
  •  

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480

THAT's what I needed !  I searched for an hour using different keywords and couldn't find it.

Thank You.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 11:56 PM
  • You're welcome, RJ.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 1:45 AM
  • I thionk it works great from the get go, its faster and it does work with internet explorer. and Yahoo

youhave to tweak these little things it loaded installed and booted up great

Friday, May 9, 2008 10:52 PM
  • I got an update message on my computer 2 days ago to update to SP3.  Before updating my computer which has critical info on the main disk and also had the same data backed up to another internal hd on the same computer, I updated another computer on the organization with no issues. 

So I then updated my computer -  BIG MISTAKE.  Could not reboot, moved backup disk to another computer - got error - could not read.  Tried another computer - same issue. Went through the same process using the system disk as a non-system disk on 3 other computers - all XP -0 2 with SP2 and one with SP3.  Got disk error and could not read.

I LOST ALL MY MISSION CRITICAL DATA.  Had to go to 3 month old terciary backup to recover.

Found out that I was the victum  of poor Microsoft testing.  System that failed was an HP desktop with AMD processor!

No warning from Microsoft even though this was a known issue!!!!!!

I have 50 XP systems and will not buy another - will move to Unix and Mac.

You guys with all your resourses, put out a disaster and screwed me!!!!  Cost to recover will exceed $10,000.  And I don't expect Microsoft to do anything.  I've already reformatted the disks and am working on recovering/reconstructing the data from the terciary backup.  If XP SP3 is your standard, you wll go the way of Yahoo.  I plan to now start using alternate application tools for office and you just lost all new system sales.  Maybe 200-300 units over the next 2 years.

I will not come to this forum again if I can help it.  You need not reply - and to think - Gates used to work for me as a consutant when I was VP Eng at Xerox putting basic on the 860 word processor.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 2:09 AM
  • I installed SP3 and my remote desktop stopped working.  Microsoft has remotely connected to my system (through another program) and after a week of 3 different techs working on it have given up and can't decide why it won't work.  They have no results for me and I am at a loss now.  I uninstalled and did a system restore for a month ago and it still won't work.  Any suggestions?

Monday, June 30, 2008 5:17 PM
  • Have you tried a repair re-install of Windows? This article mentions how http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312368/en-us in the context of a precautionary check you should make before you start.

Monday, June 30, 2008 5:40 PM
  •  Chaticappy wrote:
    I installed SP3 and my remote desktop stopped working.  Microsoft has remotely connected to my system (through another program) and after a week of 3 different techs working on it have given up and can't decide why it won't work.  They have no results for me and I am at a loss now.  I uninstalled and did a system restore for a month ago and it still won't work.  Any suggestions?

I can't imagine that the techs didn't consider the following but see...

You cannot connect to a remote computer or start a remote application when you use Terminal Services Web Access or Remote Web Workspace on a Windows XP SP3-based or Windows Small Business Server 2003 SP1-based computer:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951607 

Note the KB951607 only applies when using Terminal Services Web Access or Remote Web Workspace.

Equally puzzling is the fact that uninstalling WinXP SP3 and System Restore didn't return the functionality in WinXP SP2. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed and/or uninstalled WinXP SP3?

Monday, June 30, 2008 5:41 PM
  •  Chaticappy wrote:
    I installed SP3 and my remote desktop stopped working.

Certain versions of nVidia graphics drivers (such as 175.16) prevent Remote Desktop from working.  Did you by any chance also update your graphics driver at around the same time as you updated to SP3?

Monday, June 30, 2008 5:50 PM
  • Not quite sure if this post should be here, but here goes...  I have SP3 installed on 14 machines & so far have not experienced any problems.  However, just purchased Vista Business at the weekend & installed it on another new machine.  Everything fine so far, but have found that XP machines require LLTD Responder installed for Vista to correctly place them on the map.

Vista setup ok, so downloaded Responder from MS & attempted to install on XP machines.  However XP SP3 stated that it is an earlier version than that already installed & will not install, so any idea is to why it does not work?

Monday, June 30, 2008 8:47 PM
  • Sirius B,

Please see the thread http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3360135&SiteID=17

"Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) protocol In SP3 "

You need "WindowsXP-KB922120-v6-x86-ENU.exe"

Note the version v6.  Versions 5 and earlier will not install on XP SP3.  Version 6 works fine - I have used it.  You might be able to persuade Microsoft Support to let you have this hotfix.  Otherwise you might be able to find it on the web if you know where to look.

Monday, June 30, 2008 9:55 PM
  • I don't know what Web access or terminal remote is.  I have one computer in my office and one at home (as I work a lot from home).  I just bought a new system from Dell and it did have Nvidia on it but the old system did not and I still can't get either to work.  I get the error from home saying that computer is not set up to receive incoming connections and I know it is.  Today Dell sent me a new hard drive and I installed and before I upgraded to IE7 or downloaded any anti virus and with the fire wall off I had my brother try to connect and he got the same error.  Sad

Monday, June 30, 2008 9:55 PM
  •  rdhw wrote:

Sirius B,

Please see the thread http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3360135&SiteID=17

"Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) protocol In SP3 "

You need "WindowsXP-KB922120-v6-x86-ENU.exe"

Note the version v6.  Versions 5 and earlier will not install on XP SP3.  Version 6 works fine - I have used it.  You might be able to persuade Microsoft Support to let you have this hotfix.  Otherwise you might be able to find it on the web if you know where to look.

Thanks for the link, rdhw.  I should have checked back earlier.  Just finishing last rig now.  Uninstalled SP3, installed LLTD & reinstalled SP3.  Everything works ok.

Will download v6 in case of any future disasters.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 12:50 AM
  •  

I have discovered several things about this LLTD situation.

1.  the v5 version of the file will only install on SP2.

2.  if you have LLTD installed before you apply SP3 the LLTD files are updated to the SP3 versions.

3.  there is a v6 installer for XP SP3, but you have to request it from Microsoft.

4.  if you need LLTD on XP x64 or Server 2k3 x64, get the files off a Vista x64 system and install them as noted in the link for installing the v5 package on SP2.

Spread the word.  I don't understand why Microsoft is making it so difficult for people to get LLTD on XP, 32-bit & 64-bit, and server 2003.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 6:16 PM
  •  

why bother asking a dog for a bone he should have released long time ago

http://x3webworx3.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E40FC8E37C2475AE!234.entry

thats how its done in the real world we dont wait for ms we fix it for them.

Friday, August 15, 2008 12:21 AM
  • I previously have never had my computer fail to start yet alone from a Microsoft automated update, as I fall into the most cautious user category.   I do not work in a highly paid tech field and know the value of the too many bucks it costs to recover a pc.   Fortunately System Restore worked as was intended.

For XP sp3 as well as Vista to have as many WIDELY KNOWN problems demonstrates Microsoft to be irresponsibly out of touch with their customer base.    They are giving people who use illegal free software justification because some of the products they have recently released qualify as inferior to worthless.   Therefore, they are dragging down the entire software industry.,

When microsoft contacts me personally that their products are not going to risk the integrity of my pc I will consider them a  software supplier worthy of my hard-earned dollar.   Until then, I will be using what scarce free-time I have to investigate other options for an OS.

Monday, September 8, 2008 4:06 AM
  • Hello Fellow XP Usrs

I would just like to put my two cents into this, while all computers and optional programs might play a big factor with any update, the final desition is up to the downloader. Yes new programs, Updates and fix's can bring there own problems to any unit.

In regards to this Windows Upgrade (XP-SP3) it doe's bring some new problems so I here but it is far better then the new program called Vista which to my concern is a hugg when it come's to resources, it uses 30% more memory, 22% more processor loading and it demands modern day hardware and special drivers just to run it.

As for me I have installed the XP-SP3 update, I did however did it from a clean install going directly from SP1 to SP3 and then run the final updates from Windows Update. the final programs installed where as follows.

Office 2007 Pro, Adobe Reader, Webroot Spysweeper, Regcure, PC Pitstop Optimize, Nero 8 and finally Windows Live Onecare.

So far it has been 4 months and so far no issues on none of my 3 old computers which 1 is a gateway 800mhz and the other 2 are homemade ECS AMD 1200 mhz processor and board.

I did however run into a problem with my friends 2.4 Dell, I did have to use the restoration CD twice and left it at that.

Guys I guess that the point is, If you feel comfortable with what you got stay with it, sometimes updates can bring issues.

If your computer is working like a charm, DO NOT UPDATE IT.

The only thing is to make sure that you have the 3 key progams installed in your computer and that is a good Virus, Spyware, and Registry Optimizer Programs.

I do however have a question in regards to this New Windows 7 which should be out by the end of the year.

Bandido

Monday, September 8, 2008 9:52 PM
  • XP Sp3, what a disappointment. I had hoped for Windows Defender and IE 7 to be bundled with Sp3. I also had hopes for the newest version of Microsoft Updates, Windows Installer and Microsoft Validation. This could have been helpful for building machines and slipstreaming XP Sp3 into current installation disks.

I guess I will be waiting for WIndows 7. Vista, what a waste. Thank goodness I can still use XP for several more years.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:37 PM
  •  Bandido1 wrote:

Hello Fellow XP Usrs

I would just like to put my two cents into this, while all computers and optional programs might play a big factor with any update, the final desition is up to the downloader. Yes new programs, Updates and fix's can bring there own problems to any unit.

In regards to this Windows Upgrade (XP-SP3) it doe's bring some new problems so I here but it is far better then the new program called Vista which to my concern is a hugg when it come's to resources, it uses 30% more memory, 22% more processor loading and it demands modern day hardware and special drivers just to run it.

As for me I have installed the XP-SP3 update, I did however did it from a clean install going directly from SP1 to SP3 and then run the final updates from Windows Update. the final programs installed where as follows.

Office 2007 Pro, Adobe Reader, Webroot Spysweeper, Regcure, PC Pitstop Optimize, Nero 8 and finally Windows Live Onecare.

So far it has been 4 months and so far no issues on none of my 3 old computers which 1 is a gateway 800mhz and the other 2 are homemade ECS AMD 1200 mhz processor and board.

I did however run into a problem with my friends 2.4 Dell, I did have to use the restoration CD twice and left it at that.

Guys I guess that the point is, If you feel comfortable with what you got stay with it, sometimes updates can bring issues.

If your computer is working like a charm, DO NOT UPDATE IT.

The only thing is to make sure that you have the 3 key progams installed in your computer and that is a good Virus, Spyware, and Registry Optimizer Programs.

I do however have a question in regards to this New Windows 7 which should be out by the end of the year.

Bandido

I see a good Anti Virus like Onecare what you have and whatever the other two I wouldnt touch with a ten foot barge pole.

There is no doubt about Vista, You need to feed it Fast and modern hardware otherwise it grinds to a stop I know that only too well since I beta test software and hardware and have some exciting new things going on ATM that wont be with consumers until 2011 in some cases.

I dont doubt you think your pc's are running well with sp3 and your special; combination of software choice, what I am saying is that you havent come across the bugs since your network is restricted to one OS environment mine however is a combination of 3 OS's XP PRO sp2, Vista with SP1 form Disk, Ubuntu, now network the whole lot together and get the shares going and tell me if SP3 is so good then... And I actually use my PC's for far more the we surfing (no gaming) and letter writting. I Have other 10 programs I cant do without...

I agree with other coments made here Microsoft is well and grossely out of touch with its userbase I guess now that their fat they dont need us anymore roll on OEM deals and that keeps MS making a bundle.... not to mention Xbox...

Alternative OS well x86 linux no fail though dont expect perfection they are all flawed and buggy... IMO there is no such thing as perfect stable OS but UBUNTU is better hands down that XP and soon Vista... Shame ADOBE and other Software developers like that dont make their software for Linux platforms also otherwise I wouldnt touch a MS OS ever. No wine is just not good enough for the softwares I use...

End Off.
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 11:15 AM