Windows Update seems to hang pc.. works fine if BITS and wuauserv are disabled.. RRS feed

• Question

• Just as the title states... my computer hangs whenever the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Windows Update services are not disabled.  This happened very recently after downloading some updates to windows, and maybe a flash update too.

Win7-64bit Home Premium

Custom-built I7-930, 12gb ram, 64gb SSD, various storage drives.  Gigabyte X58A-UD5 mobo.

I've attempted a system restore to some 2 weeks before the problem occured, that didnt help. 

I attempted resetting WindowsUpdate componants using FixIt50202 seen here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

That didnt help either. 

The only way I can keep things from hanging up is by disabling Windows update and BITS.

Other symptoms: 

When "frozen", the mouse responds, i can click on the start menu, for example, but programs wont run.  No errors come on the screen, it hourglasses for a second, then nothing.

If i click Run, and type services.msc for example, I get a window that pops up and says that the dependency service or group failed to start.

I really don't want to have to reinstall windows yet again (this will be the 5th re-install on this machine).. anyone have any ideas?

Ran SFC /scannow and it said that it couldn't fix everything, but i dont know how to find out what it couldn't fix, or fix it.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

BITS and Windows Update Service are both related with Windows Update Components.

Please logon with Clean Boot  to check if any other services or programs conflict with windows update service.

Since the issue persists after reset Windows Update Components, you can try to perform an in-place upgrade to fix the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

It will not reinstall all programs and settings.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:54 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:13 AM

All replies

• If SFC is not working, check to see if there is an updated BIOS for the MB

Then install Windows clean and wait for all update first

if that fails, then you likely have some hardware issues to sort out

But I don't want to do another clean install.. I've already done several prior to this problem popping up for unrelated problems. 

I've run memtest before, and there was no issues.

If it were a hardware issue, why does it work perfectly fine when those services are not enabled? 

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:07 AM
  • Hi,

BITS and Windows Update Service are both related with Windows Update Components.

Please logon with Clean Boot  to check if any other services or programs conflict with windows update service.

Since the issue persists after reset Windows Update Components, you can try to perform an in-place upgrade to fix the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

It will not reinstall all programs and settings.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:54 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:13 AM