Approach to installing a Management Pack? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm going to be implementing a new SCOM infrastructure and was wondering if there was a process or approach to installing Management Packs?

1. Are there any steps you should take before importing a management pack?

2. How can I be sure that once the Management Pack has imported it has finished doing it's discovery etc?

3. By importing a management pack how big would you expect to see the databases grow by?

4. How long do you leave it before you install another management pack?

If you have any approaches that you wish to share please do.

thanks.

• Edited by Guy_In_IT Saturday, March 12, 2016 1:29 PM
    Saturday, March 12, 2016 1:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1. Backup both OpsMgr databases, and read the readme doc (Before you import the management pack / prerequisites )

2. You can't - but you may find information in the readme doc. Normally is will finish within 24 hours

3. No idea - is depends on what and how much information the OpsMgr will find, and how number of alerts

4. 24 hours - and/or until you have solved most of the alerts/errors. I'll wait until I have few alerts left

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Wednesday, March 16, 2016 7:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, March 21, 2016 1:39 AM
    Saturday, March 12, 2016 4:12 PM
  • If I was planning a new deployment, I would establish a MP lifecycle:

1) Download the new MP's.

2) Read the change log, glance at it, figure out what has changed.

3) Import it into a LAB and look for any oddities (if this is an upgrade MP)

- Use SQL scripts from Kevin Holmans page to look at discoveries, etc if you really want.

4) Let it bake in for 30 or so days.

5) Identify problems, or gaps, address those.

6) Import into prod.

That's the answer to number 1.

Number 2, check out the MP and look at what it discoverers and look at discovered inventory or a state view for that class.

Number 3, again this depends on how aggressive the performance collection is, and again Kevin has scripts to help you with this.

Number 4, If you bake it in, or bake them all, you can import multiple, it just depends on your change control policies, etc.

I normally don't stress out about MP imports, but I am not an early adopter.  I wait a good amount of time before importing the latest mps and I do a lot of tuning of management packs.  Once you tune a MP, for the most part, the overrides you made, should carry over.  So initially there might be a lot of work, but in the end it's really just a lot of maintenance and if you want good documentation, then there is that as well (Silect has a great tool I recommend to help you with MP life-cycle).

The approach to managing and tuning management packs is different for everyone and organization, but you must be sure to have some kind of plan, and you really do need to do your best to read the guides, pay attention for bugs, address noise, and churn.

Regards, Blake Email: mengotto<at>hotmail.com Blog: http://discussitnow.wordpress.com/ If my response was helpful, please mark it as so, if it answered your question, then please also mark it accordingly. Thank you.

Saturday, March 12, 2016 6:41 PM
  • 1. Are there any steps you should take before importing a management pack?
    *) Review management pack readme
    *) Deploy it into testing environment

2. How can I be sure that once the Management Pack has imported it has finished doing it's discovery etc?
    From my knowledge, the imported MP will finish its discovery within 24hrs

3. By importing a management pack how big would you expect to see the databases grow by?
    The size of the database increased is depeded on number and frequency of performance rules, event collection rules.

No requirement. You can import all management packs at once or once by once when you finish previous MP.
    roger

Monday, March 14, 2016 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Backup both OpsMgr databases, and read the readme doc (Before you import the management pack / prerequisites )

2. You can't - but you may find information in the readme doc. Normally is will finish within 24 hours

3. No idea - is depends on what and how much information the OpsMgr will find, and how number of alerts

4. 24 hours - and/or until you have solved most of the alerts/errors. I'll wait until I have few alerts left

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, March 12, 2016 4:12 PM
  • If I was planning a new deployment, I would establish a MP lifecycle:

1) Download the new MP's.

2) Read the change log, glance at it, figure out what has changed.

3) Import it into a LAB and look for any oddities (if this is an upgrade MP)

- Use SQL scripts from Kevin Holmans page to look at discoveries, etc if you really want.

4) Let it bake in for 30 or so days.

5) Identify problems, or gaps, address those.

6) Import into prod.

That's the answer to number 1.

Number 2, check out the MP and look at what it discoverers and look at discovered inventory or a state view for that class.

Number 3, again this depends on how aggressive the performance collection is, and again Kevin has scripts to help you with this.

Number 4, If you bake it in, or bake them all, you can import multiple, it just depends on your change control policies, etc.

I normally don't stress out about MP imports, but I am not an early adopter.  I wait a good amount of time before importing the latest mps and I do a lot of tuning of management packs.  Once you tune a MP, for the most part, the overrides you made, should carry over.  So initially there might be a lot of work, but in the end it's really just a lot of maintenance and if you want good documentation, then there is that as well (Silect has a great tool I recommend to help you with MP life-cycle).

The approach to managing and tuning management packs is different for everyone and organization, but you must be sure to have some kind of plan, and you really do need to do your best to read the guides, pay attention for bugs, address noise, and churn.

Regards, Blake Email: mengotto<at>hotmail.com Blog: http://discussitnow.wordpress.com/ If my response was helpful, please mark it as so, if it answered your question, then please also mark it accordingly. Thank you.

Saturday, March 12, 2016 6:41 PM
  • 1. Are there any steps you should take before importing a management pack?
    *) Review management pack readme
    *) Deploy it into testing environment

From my knowledge, the imported MP will finish its discovery within 24hrs

The size of the database increased is depeded on number and frequency of performance rules, event collection rules.

No requirement. You can import all management packs at once or once by once when you finish previous MP.
    roger

Monday, March 14, 2016 7:35 AM