Exchange 2010 runing out of Space RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I need some help with the problem we are having. As the subject says we are running out of space here fast, so, I would really appreciate if some can help me out.

Here is how our Exchange 2010 is setup.

- Mailboxes on a physical server

- CAS is on Hyper-V

- We have four DB that are mounted (one for US (USDB), three for remote locations users (RDB1, RDB2, RDB3)

- USDB, RDB1 & Public folders are on the same drive. That drive is 375GB.

This drive is running out of space. On this drive

USDB = 290 GB

RDB1 = 79.1 GB

Public folder = 368 MB

So, as I write this, out of 375GB we only have 4.49 GB left and the space is reducing very fast.

Now, so far I have been transferring users email to their personal folder that resides on their local hard-drives and also deleting some old emails accounts but this does not seems to help. Even when I purge the disabled mailboxes from the "Disconnected Mailboxes".

Some one from another thread said something about "WHITE SPACE". So, used that command and this is the result:

Command

-Get-MailboxDatabase -Status | select
    name,@{l="Size";e={$_.databasesize.togb()}},@{l="White
    Space";e={$_.availablenewmailboxspace.togb()}}

It gives the following information:

NAME                                       SIZE                               White Space

USDB                                        268                                  27

RDB1                                        73                                     31

So, my question is:

- Considering the size of the DB is this white space considered very large/big ?meaning it only gives number but it does not provide any information as to how much space these numbers are taking.

- Is it worth remove these white space? meaning is it going to make any difference as to increase some space on the drive?

- If it is worth it then I would really appreciate if someone provide the steps on how to remove these white space.

I would really appreciate if someone can shed some light on it. If I have missed out on any information then please do let me know.

Thank,

Wasim

• Edited by Wasim-MN Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:28 PM
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:52 PM

Answers

• Hi

I think that I provided that script for someone in the past, not sure if you got it from one of my posts.  The white space is in GB so it's about 10% of the database. 

You will not be able to run an offline defrag of that database as you will need about 250GB free space - so you are going to need some extra storage in your server.

Steve

Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Steve!

Yes, it could be yours. I got it up from one of the threads when i was looking for a solution to my problem.

I found another script from the aforementioned link that also works great like your and gives little more information:

Here is that script

Get-MailboxDatabase -Status | ft name,databasesize,availablenewmailboxspace -auto

This script gives white space in GB.

Ahmedwa

Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:58 PM

All replies

• You need to offline the mailstore to shrink it.

http://exchangeserverpro.com/defrag-exchange-2010-mailbox-database/

This will give you some breathing room, but you need to get more storage for that server.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:06 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I will try that after reading that article.

Any idea how much those white spaces are taking?

Ahmedwa

Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:14 PM
  • Hi

I think that I provided that script for someone in the past, not sure if you got it from one of my posts.  The white space is in GB so it's about 10% of the database. 

You will not be able to run an offline defrag of that database as you will need about 250GB free space - so you are going to need some extra storage in your server.

Steve

Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Steve!

Yes, it could be yours. I got it up from one of the threads when i was looking for a solution to my problem.

I found another script from the aforementioned link that also works great like your and gives little more information:

Here is that script

Get-MailboxDatabase -Status | ft name,databasesize,availablenewmailboxspace -auto

This script gives white space in GB.

Ahmedwa

Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:58 PM