none
Migrating SharePoint 2013 to SharePoint 2019. Search application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am experiencing problem migrating SharePoint Search 2013 to SharePoint Search 2019.

I have taking a backup of the admin-database from SP2013 which I am using to restore the Search application in SharePoint 2016... Everything is ok and it works fine... Then I take a backup of the admin-database in SharePoint 2016 over to SharePoint 2019.

The powershell commands:

$searchDBName = 'SharePoint_Search'

$dbServerName = 'SP2019' #SQL alias

$searchServiceName = 'SharePoint Search Service'

$searchServiceProxyName = 'Search Service Service Proxy'

$svcAccount = Get-SPManagedAccount -Identity 'domain\serviceaccount'

New-SPServiceApplicationPool -Name 'SharePoint Search Application pool' -Account $svcAccount

$appPool = Get-SPServiceApplicationPool -Identity 'SharePoint Search Application pool'

$searchInstance = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceInstance –local

Start-SPServiceInstance $searchInstance

Restore-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication -Name $searchServiceName -ApplicationPool $appPool -AdminSearchServiceInstance $searchInstance -DatabaseName $searchDBName -DatabaseServer $dbServerName<u1:p></u1:p>

$ssa = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication

New-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplicationProxy -Name $searchServiceProxyName -SearchApplication $ssa

When I try to restore the Search Service application in SharePoint 2019 I get this:

Restore-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication : PartitionMode

At line:3 char:1

+ Restore-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication -Name $searchServiceName ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<u1:p></u1:p>

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (Microsoft.Offic...viceApplication:

RestoreSearchServiceApplication) [Restore-SPEnter...viceApplication],NotSupportedException    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Cmdlet.RestoreSearchServiceApplication

... And in the ULS I get this:

05/22/2019 14:08:26.53 PowerShell_ISE.exe (0x243C)                      0x0C38      SharePoint Server Search           Administration                      afmmz       High                LoadPartitionOptionsFromAdminDB, setting the value to UniquePartitionPerSubscription            7c20df9e-f869-303a-ca9f-e119042da052

05/22/2019 14:08:26.53 PowerShell_ISE.exe (0x243C)                      0x0C38      SharePoint Foundation              PowerShell                          6tf2        High                System.NotSupportedException: PartitionMode     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Utilities.SPServiceApplicationUtilities.SetPartitionOptions(SPServiceApplication application, SPPartitionOptions partitionOptions)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplication.LoadPartitionOptionsFromAdminDB()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplication.RunPostRestore(SPRestoreInformation args, Boolean deferUpgradeActions)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplication.Restore(String name, SearchQueryAndSiteSettingsService service, SPIisWebServiceApplicationPool applicationPool, SPDatabaseParameters adminDBParameters, SearchServiceInstance adminComponentInstance)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchService.RestoreApplication(String name, SPDatabaseParameters adminDBParameters, SearchServiceInstance adminComponentInstance, SPIisWebServiceApplicationPool applicationPool)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Cmdlet.RestoreSearchServiceApplication.CreateDataObject()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPNewCmdletBase`1.InternalProcessRecord()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdlet.ProcessRecord()     7c20df9e-f869-303a-ca9f-e119042da052<u1:p></u1:p>

05/22/2019 14:08:26.53 PowerShell_ISE.exe (0x243C)                      0x0C38      SharePoint Foundation              PowerShell                          91ux        High        Error Category: InvalidData    Target Object  Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Cmdlet.RestoreSearchServiceApplication  Details  NULL  RecommendedAction NULL  7c20df9e-f869-303a-ca9f-e119042da052

Any ideas or suggestions?

Please help

Best to all!

Thursday, May 23, 2019 8:01 AM

All replies

• I see that the Search application I am migrating has been set up for multi tenancy in SharePoint 2013, which is deprecated in SharePoint 2019.

I have tried to change the partition mode for the Search application after migrated it to SharePoint 2016 like this:

$spsa = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication
    $spsa.Properties["Microsoft.Office.Server.Utilities.SPPartitionOptions"] = 'UnPartitioned'
    $spsa.Update()

... but without success. I get the same errors when I get to SharePoint 2019.

Thursday, May 23, 2019 1:00 PM
  • You cannot change the partition mode of a Service Application or Site Collection. You will have to rebuild the configuration of the Search Service Application in 2019 (create a new one, configure your settings).

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by taylor.l Thursday, May 23, 2019 6:33 PM
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 1:50 PM
  • Hi Ricardo,

If you think the replies are helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, May 27, 2019 2:55 AM
  • Hi Ricardo,

I'm still paying attention to this issue.

If you have any questions, you can update them at any time

Looking forward to your update on this issue.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 8:22 AM
  • Hi Itch and thank you for your comments!
    You had no good news for me though :-)

I have created a new Search Service Application in SharePoint 2019, the problem is that the SharePoint web application that I have migrated from SharePoint 2013 (trough SharePoint 2016) is not working with the new search.

All the Search Setting pages under Site Settings are giving errors like this:

****************************************************************************
    Microsoft.Ceres.InteractionEngine.Component.FlowHandleRegistry : Exceptions occurred when evaluating the flow.  Exception info: [ExceptionType=Microsoft.Ceres.Evaluation.DataModel.EvaluationException], [Stacktrace=  
     at Microsoft.Ceres.Evaluation.Engine.ErrorHandling.HandleExceptionRecordSetSink.DoWithTryCatch(IRecord record)    
     at Microsoft.Ceres.InteractionEngine.Component.FlowHandleRegistry.SubmitData(FlowExecutionInfo handle, InputData inputData, Stopwatch timer, String correlationId, Guid tenantId, String query, String flowName, Int32 queryTimeoutMillis, QueryIntent intent)    
     at Microsoft.Ceres.InteractionEngine.Component.FlowHandleRegistry.ExecuteFlow(String flowName, InputData input, Int32 queryTimeoutMillis) [InnerException: [ExceptionTypeMicrosoft.Ceres.InteractionEngine.Processing.BuiltIn.InvalidSortSpecException], [StackTrace= [InnerException: [ExceptionTypeMicrosoft.Ceres.Evaluation.DataModel.Types.SchemaException], [StackTrace=  
     at Microsoft.Ceres.InteractionEngine.Processing.BuiltIn.QueryParameterNormalizerEvaluator.QueryParameterNormalizerProducer.NormalizeSortField(String sortSpec, Guid tenantIdValue, Guid siteCollectionIdValue, String indexSystemValue, Char preceedingChar, Boolean backwardCompatibleMode, SchemaUsageAnalyzer schemaAnalyzer)    
     at Microsoft.Ceres.InteractionEngine.Processing.BuiltIn.QueryParameterNormalizerEvaluator.QueryParameterNormalizerProducer.ParseSortSpecAndNormalize(String sortSpec, Guid tenantIdValue, Guid siteCollectionIdValue, String indexSystemValue, Boolean backwardCompatibleMode, SchemaUsageAnalyzer schemaAnalyzer, SortFormula& usedFormula)    
     at Microsoft.Ceres.InteractionEngine.Processing.BuiltIn.QueryParameterNormalizerEvaluator.QueryParameterNormalizerProducer.NormalizeSortSpecs(IEnumerable`1 sortSpecs, Guid tenantIdValue, Guid siteCollectionIdValue, String indexSystemValue, Boolean backwardCompatibleMode, SchemaUsageAnalyzer schemaAnalyzer, SortFormula& usedFormula)    
     at Microsoft.Ceres.InteractionEngine.Processing.BuiltIn.QueryParameterNormalizerEvaluator.QueryParameterNormalizerProducer.ProcessRecordInStandaloneMode()]]]

****************************************************************************

I have tried to export the Search settings from site settings and Schema and Result Sources from the old SharePoint 2013 application with Powershell and the imported everything to the new application in SharePoint 2016.
    Nothing works.

Best regards
    /Ricardo

Ricardo D.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 9:34 AM
  • Are your Site Collections in partitioned mode? If so, you will need to perform a content migration rather than a database attach migration.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:44 PM
  • The site collections are not in partitioned mode. There are none site subscriptions in the farm.

Ricardo D.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 3:39 PM