MSTDC.exe is consuming my CPU RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows Server 2012 R2 to host a web application accessed by clients via web. I suddenly noticed this strange "mstdc.exe" consuming 99% of my CPU.

I don't know what does this thing do and why it is consuming the CPU.

What might be the issue here, and how can I resolve it?

Any help is highly appreciated,

Best Regards,

Hani Draidi GIS Engineer

Sunday, February 28, 2016 10:11 AM

Answers

• I suspect you have caught a virus.  The MS program is MSDTC.exe for Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator.  I cannot find any reference to mstdc.exe.  There are some Anti Virus programs that change their process names to avoid being killed by viruses, but these are normally nonsense words. 

However, the image you posted lists a number of processes I am not familiar with, so the one in question may have been introduced by one of them.  I suggest running a couple of virus scanners, and if possible setup another server or VM and install some of the products you list and verify if mstdc.exe is reintroduced.  If you discover it, call the vendor and ask about it.

You may also be able to right click the file in Windows Explorer and examine its properties to determine from whence it came.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Sunday, February 28, 2016 1:37 PM
  • Tuesday, March 1, 2016 2:07 AM

All replies

• I suspect you have caught a virus.  The MS program is MSDTC.exe for Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator.  I cannot find any reference to mstdc.exe.  There are some Anti Virus programs that change their process names to avoid being killed by viruses, but these are normally nonsense words. 

However, the image you posted lists a number of processes I am not familiar with, so the one in question may have been introduced by one of them.  I suggest running a couple of virus scanners, and if possible setup another server or VM and install some of the products you list and verify if mstdc.exe is reintroduced.  If you discover it, call the vendor and ask about it.

You may also be able to right click the file in Windows Explorer and examine its properties to determine from whence it came.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Sunday, February 28, 2016 1:37 PM
  • Tuesday, March 1, 2016 2:07 AM
  • Did you solve your problem?

What antivirus or tool did you use?

Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:08 PM