Unmodified Files Still Changing Date Modified RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just bought a copy of Microsoft Office 2019. Anytime I open a file just to view it then close out, the "date modified" updates for the file even though I didn't change anything in the file. How can I maintain the original date modified?

Thank you!

Sunday, March 24, 2019 8:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What detailed version of Office 2019 are you using? Does the issue occur with all Office files? Does the issue occur when you open any local files? Is this a network drive that you are accessing? Do you sync these files in OneDrive?

Please open any Office applications (Word / Excel / PowerPoint), click File > Options > Save. Please check and provide more information about these settings to help me analyze the issue for you.

Please try to open Word/ Excel/ PowerPoint in Safe Mode. Press Windows + R key to start Run, type the following command in the box: 

winword /safe

excel /safe

powerpnt /safe

Click OK. In Safe Mode, click File > Open to locate and open an Office file. Close the file after opening. Check if the Date Modified is changed.

In addition, please create a new Windows user account to log in the computer, check if the issue will still occur.

If you have any updates or any finding, please feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, March 25, 2019 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If my reply is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 3:21 AM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. 

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Monday, April 8, 2019 1:17 AM