What Product (if any) will handle updates for OneDrive desktop application? RRS feed

• Question

• WSUS on Server 2012 R2:

We have multiple users who use the regular consumer version of OneDrive (NOT OneDrive for Business) and we use it as a group to share files in many cases. Shared Folders were not syncing and it turned out that was because some users had an older version of the OneDrive application that didn't updat.

I assume there is a way that we can manage OneDrive updates through WSUS, because WSUS seems to have updates for just about every Microsoft application, but I don't see anything listed in the Products list that looks like OneDrive.

Is there a Product match for OneDrive, and if so, what is it called?

Thanks,
    Colin

Colin

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 10:22 PM

Answers

• Hi GraniteStateColin,

Through checking Microsoft Update Catalog, we may find that updates for OneDrive for Business are included in Products "Office", Classification "Critical Updates":

However, I notice that you say your OneDrive is NOT "OneDrive for Business", and we couldn't find related updates for that product in MU. You'd better consult OneDrive supporter to check how to update the old version of the OneDrive application.

Besides, here is a KB for your reference:

Some versions of the OneDrive desktop app for Windows do not update automatically:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/2990967

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 5, 2016 2:32 AM

All replies

• Hi GraniteStateColin,

Through checking Microsoft Update Catalog, we may find that updates for OneDrive for Business are included in Products "Office", Classification "Critical Updates":

However, I notice that you say your OneDrive is NOT "OneDrive for Business", and we couldn't find related updates for that product in MU. You'd better consult OneDrive supporter to check how to update the old version of the OneDrive application.

Besides, here is a KB for your reference:

Some versions of the OneDrive desktop app for Windows do not update automatically:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/2990967

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 5, 2016 2:32 AM
  • Thanks, I guess it's not possible. That's surprising, given the number of other programs that are supported (MS Works, Live Writer, etc.). And Microsoft is providing regular and rapid updates for OneDrive, so I'd like to know their intentions on this.

Note that OneDrive for Business is really a SharePoint client. OneDrive is quite different from OneDrive for Business and is the way to share files with people outside the organization without giving them access to our local storage. One isn't newer than the other; they are both live and supported applications receiving regular updates from MS.

Thanks,
    Colin

Colin

Thursday, May 5, 2016 3:01 PM
  • The ones that aren't up to date are on Windows 10 systems. Windows 10 does use a different version of OneDrive from Windows 8/8.1 so I don't think that KB article applies to us.

The screen shot you show looks very different from what I see. Is there a URL I can use to see what you showed? Does the below image look like the right selections in WSUS?

Colin

Thursday, May 5, 2016 3:11 PM

• Hi GraniteStateColin,

My screen shot is not from WSUS console, it's from Microsoft update category:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

Best Regards,

Anne

Friday, May 6, 2016 3:05 AM
  • I understand very well that you´re using OneDrive NOT for business, so the one which comes together with Windows 10. I have been investigating this OneDrive (consumer) update behavior, and in my case I clearly see, that it does over ride WSUS (in my case SCCM), and updates itself automatically from MS, even if your computers belongs to internal WSUS.
    Friday, December 30, 2016 10:12 AM