none
project 2010 custom column fields not populated when mpp saved as xml & opened RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

A Project 2007 mpp saved as xml and then opened in project 2007, and then adding custom column, the custom field values are populated within the custom column.  When createing a Project 2010 mpp saved as xml, then opening xml in Project 2010, adding custom column, the field values are not populated in the custom column.   Is there a solution?

Thanks,

hkp11

Friday, January 11, 2013 5:20 PM

All replies

• hkp11,

First question, do you have SP1 installed for Project 2010? You can download it at, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587.

I just did a test file using Project 2010 Pro with SP1. I entered data into extra date (Date1), text (Text1), and number (Number1) fields, saved as XML and then re-opened in Project. All the data was still in the extra fields.

So, if you already have SP1 installed, please elaborate onexactly what you have in your custom fields and which fields they are.

John

Friday, January 11, 2013 6:13 PM
  • Hi John,

The user has Project Pro 2010 w/SP1 installed.  When the user creates a project with custom field of Outline Code and saves it as xml, it does not retain the custom values for that custom field.  However, if a project using a custom Text field is used and saved as xml, when re-opening the xml, it will retain the custom values.

Thank you,

hkp11

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:48 PM
  • hkp11,

Well, in doing a little test with custom outline codes I found a little trick. The first time I tried saving to XML indeed the current outline code was not saved when the XML file was re-opened in Project. My next thought was to use a simple formula in a text field (e.g. Text1) to copy the current value of the outline code, knowing that the text field value would be preserved through the XML process. Well, guess what, if you do use a formula to copy the current outline code value to a text field, not only is that value preserved in the Text field when the XML file is re-opened in Project but the current outline code is also preserved. Interesting.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:42 AM