Why can't I edit in Spellcheck? RRS feed

• Question

• <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

I have recently installed Windows 7, an upgrade from Vista.  I have Word 97-2003.  Spellcheck will now not allow me to do my own editing.  I can only accept the suggestion or delete.  For example I had typed 'markedly.improved'.  All I wanted to do was to removed the '.' but it only allowed me to delete or to accept their suggestion.

I need to be able to edit like how I used to be able to.  Can you tell me how.  Thanks.

Friday, March 12, 2010 10:47 PM

Answers

• What is "Word 97-2003"?  Are you saying you have multiple copies of Word available?  How have you managed that?  Office expects only one version to be installed.

I have Office 2003.  I just spell-checked a sentence with markedly.improved in it and was able to edit the text just fine.

Strange things can happen when you do an in-place upgrade to Windows 7.  I'm sorry to say that if you have any problems in Vista they will be carried forward to Windows 7 during an upgrade, and you may well get a host of new problems as well, as things that are installed under Vista may be incompatible with Windows 7. 

The kinds of problems you're reporting (e.g., in your other thread as well, "Skype not working") sound very much like the kinds of problems one can expect when one does an upgrade instead of a fresh install.

It may sound extreme, but I advise you to do a thorough backup and install Windows 7 as a fresh, clean install, then reinstall all your apps and copy your data onto the new system.

-Noel
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, March 22, 2010 3:50 AM
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Hi SusannahCav, for Office Word related issues, you can post it in the following discussion group:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagement&lang=en&cr=US

Thank you.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:33 AM

All replies

• What is "Word 97-2003"?  Are you saying you have multiple copies of Word available?  How have you managed that?  Office expects only one version to be installed.

I have Office 2003.  I just spell-checked a sentence with markedly.improved in it and was able to edit the text just fine.

Strange things can happen when you do an in-place upgrade to Windows 7.  I'm sorry to say that if you have any problems in Vista they will be carried forward to Windows 7 during an upgrade, and you may well get a host of new problems as well, as things that are installed under Vista may be incompatible with Windows 7. 

The kinds of problems you're reporting (e.g., in your other thread as well, "Skype not working") sound very much like the kinds of problems one can expect when one does an upgrade instead of a fresh install.

It may sound extreme, but I advise you to do a thorough backup and install Windows 7 as a fresh, clean install, then reinstall all your apps and copy your data onto the new system.

-Noel
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Hi SusannahCav, for Office Word related issues, you can post it in the following discussion group:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagement&lang=en&cr=US

Thank you.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:33 AM