none
Should I transfer FSMO roles to newly promoted Windows 2012 DC?

Question

• We are running Windows 2008R2 AD and planning to add the first Windows server 2012 R2 DC to the domain. Many instruction on the internet have a step to transfer FSMO roles to new OS version DC . Is it mandatory to have FSMO roles always on latest OS version DC ?  We will not decommission any of our  old DCs in near future basically the new Windows 2012R2 DC will coexist with Windows 2008R2 DC for a while. Should I transfer FSMO roles to newly promoted Windows 2012 DC in this case? 

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 4:55 PM

Answers

• In my opinion, the first priority is that the FSMO roles should be on the most reliable (most likely to be available) DC, with the best connections (not remote). This is especially true for the PDC Emulator role, which most impacts users. After that, placing the roles on the DC with the latest OS is a good idea (and since the machine is probably newer, it should be reliable).

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

• Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Thursday, February 2, 2017 5:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by KungfuPanda2 Friday, February 3, 2017 6:48 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2017 5:12 PM
  • There is no such dependency or mandatory requirement to move FSMO roles from your current DC to the newer one , However it is always a best practice and recommended approach to use the latest option available.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:46 PM
  • We are running Windows 2008R2 AD and planning to add the first Windows server 2012 R2 DC to the domain. Many instruction on the internet have a step to transfer FSMO roles to new OS version DC . Is it mandatory to have FSMO roles always on latest OS version DC ?  We will not decommission any of our  old DCs in near future basically the new Windows 2012R2 DC will coexist with Windows 2008R2 DC for a while. Should I transfer FSMO roles to newly promoted Windows 2012 DC in this case? 

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

I don’t agree that the DC with the most up-to-date O/S should hold the FSMO roles, the forest and domain functional levels won’t be any higher than your oldest O/S version DC. The DC that is most available and the one with the least past and present issues should hold an FSMO role.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:27 PM

All replies

• In my opinion, the first priority is that the FSMO roles should be on the most reliable (most likely to be available) DC, with the best connections (not remote). This is especially true for the PDC Emulator role, which most impacts users. After that, placing the roles on the DC with the latest OS is a good idea (and since the machine is probably newer, it should be reliable).

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

• Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Thursday, February 2, 2017 5:21 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2017 5:12 PM
  • There is no such dependency or mandatory requirement to move FSMO roles from your current DC to the newer one , However it is always a best practice and recommended approach to use the latest option available.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:46 PM

I don’t agree that the DC with the most up-to-date O/S should hold the FSMO roles, the forest and domain functional levels won’t be any higher than your oldest O/S version DC. The DC that is most available and the one with the least past and present issues should hold an FSMO role.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:27 PM