none
Deploy PCI driver not found RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Im new on IT support and we have a new model computer 840 hp elitebook that is missing a network driver named all other computers deploys fine:

Before I can select the OS that needs to be installed there is a pop-up window that says that this drive is missing: pci\ven_8086&dev_155a&subsys_198F103C&REV_04

I even tried to add the whole package from HP and added it to our drivers.

ATM I changed the name on the out-of-box driver folder name to see if it solves the problem.

This is how the setting files look like:

<Settings>
      <Version>True</Version>
      <Description>MDT Deployment Share</Description>
      <Comments>
      </Comments>
      <EnableMulticast>False</EnableMulticast>
      <SupportX86>True</SupportX86>
      <SupportX64>True</SupportX64>
      <UNCPath>\\DEPLOY\MainShare</UNCPath>
      <PhysicalPath>D:\MainShare</PhysicalPath>
      <Boot.x86.UseBootWim>True</Boot.x86.UseBootWim>
      <Boot.x86.ScratchSpace>32</Boot.x86.ScratchSpace>
      <Boot.x86.IncludeADO>True</Boot.x86.IncludeADO>
      <Boot.x86.IncludeAllDrivers>False</Boot.x86.IncludeAllDrivers>
      <Boot.x86.IncludeNetworkDrivers>True</Boot.x86.IncludeNetworkDrivers>
      <Boot.x86.IncludeMassStorageDrivers>True</Boot.x86.IncludeMassStorageDrivers>
      <Boot.x86.IncludeVideoDrivers>False</Boot.x86.IncludeVideoDrivers>
      <Boot.x86.IncludeSystemDrivers>False</Boot.x86.IncludeSystemDrivers>
      <Boot.x86.IncludeWindowsRE>False</Boot.x86.IncludeWindowsRE>
      <Boot.x86.IncludeNETFX>False</Boot.x86.IncludeNETFX>
      <Boot.x86.IncludePowerShell>False</Boot.x86.IncludePowerShell>
      <Boot.x86.Include8021X>False</Boot.x86.Include8021X>
      <Boot.x86.IncludeFontJAJP>False</Boot.x86.IncludeFontJAJP>
      <Boot.x86.IncludeFontKOKR>False</Boot.x86.IncludeFontKOKR>
      <Boot.x86.IncludeFontZHCN>False</Boot.x86.IncludeFontZHCN>
      <Boot.x86.IncludeFontZHHK>False</Boot.x86.IncludeFontZHHK>
      <Boot.x86.IncludeFontZHTW>False</Boot.x86.IncludeFontZHTW>
      <Boot.x86.BackgroundFile>%INSTALLDIR%\Samples\Background.bmp</Boot.x86.BackgroundFile>
      <Boot.x86.ExtraDirectory>
      </Boot.x86.ExtraDirectory>
      <Boot.x86.GenerateGenericWIM>False</Boot.x86.GenerateGenericWIM>
      <Boot.x86.GenerateGenericISO>False</Boot.x86.GenerateGenericISO>
      <Boot.x86.GenericWIMDescription>Generic Windows PE (x86)</Boot.x86.GenericWIMDescription>
      <Boot.x86.GenericISOName>Generic_x86.iso</Boot.x86.GenericISOName>
      <Boot.x86.GenerateLiteTouchISO>False</Boot.x86.GenerateLiteTouchISO>
      <Boot.x86.LiteTouchWIMDescription>Lite Touch Windows PE (x86)</Boot.x86.LiteTouchWIMDescription>
      <Boot.x86.LiteTouchISOName>LiteTouchPE_x86.iso</Boot.x86.LiteTouchISOName>
      <Boot.x86.SelectionProfile>All Drivers and Packages</Boot.x86.SelectionProfile>
      <Boot.x64.UseBootWim>True</Boot.x64.UseBootWim>
      <Boot.x64.ScratchSpace>32</Boot.x64.ScratchSpace>
      <Boot.x64.IncludeADO>True</Boot.x64.IncludeADO>
      <Boot.x64.IncludeAllDrivers>False</Boot.x64.IncludeAllDrivers>
      <Boot.x64.IncludeNetworkDrivers>True</Boot.x64.IncludeNetworkDrivers>
      <Boot.x64.IncludeMassStorageDrivers>True</Boot.x64.IncludeMassStorageDrivers>
      <Boot.x64.IncludeVideoDrivers>True</Boot.x64.IncludeVideoDrivers>
      <Boot.x64.IncludeSystemDrivers>True</Boot.x64.IncludeSystemDrivers>
      <Boot.x64.IncludeWindowsRE>False</Boot.x64.IncludeWindowsRE>
      <Boot.x64.IncludeNETFX>False</Boot.x64.IncludeNETFX>
      <Boot.x64.IncludePowerShell>False</Boot.x64.IncludePowerShell>
      <Boot.x64.Include8021X>False</Boot.x64.Include8021X>
      <Boot.x64.IncludeFontJAJP>False</Boot.x64.IncludeFontJAJP>
      <Boot.x64.IncludeFontKOKR>False</Boot.x64.IncludeFontKOKR>
      <Boot.x64.IncludeFontZHCN>False</Boot.x64.IncludeFontZHCN>
      <Boot.x64.IncludeFontZHHK>False</Boot.x64.IncludeFontZHHK>
      <Boot.x64.IncludeFontZHTW>False</Boot.x64.IncludeFontZHTW>
      <Boot.x64.BackgroundFile>%INSTALLDIR%\Samples\Background.bmp</Boot.x64.BackgroundFile>
      <Boot.x64.ExtraDirectory>
      </Boot.x64.ExtraDirectory>
      <Boot.x64.GenerateGenericWIM>False</Boot.x64.GenerateGenericWIM>
      <Boot.x64.GenerateGenericISO>False</Boot.x64.GenerateGenericISO>
      <Boot.x64.GenericWIMDescription>Generic Windows PE (x64)</Boot.x64.GenericWIMDescription>
      <Boot.x64.GenericISOName>Generic_x64.iso</Boot.x64.GenericISOName>
      <Boot.x64.GenerateLiteTouchISO>False</Boot.x64.GenerateLiteTouchISO>
      <Boot.x64.LiteTouchWIMDescription>Lite Touch Windows PE (x64)</Boot.x64.LiteTouchWIMDescription>
      <Boot.x64.LiteTouchISOName>LiteTouchPE_x64.iso</Boot.x64.LiteTouchISOName>
      <Boot.x64.SelectionProfile>All Drivers and Packages</Boot.x64.SelectionProfile>
      <Database.SQLServer>
      </Database.SQLServer>
      <Database.Instance>
      </Database.Instance>
      <Database.Port>
      </Database.Port>
      <Database.Netlib>
      </Database.Netlib>
      <Database.Name>
      </Database.Name>
      <Database.SQLShare>
      </Database.SQLShare>
    </Settings>

I Also have a second question: Why adding windows update packades failed when I regenerating the image? I used a windows update downloader that downloaded all the updates for windows 7 sp1 x64 in msu files.

We do have a wsus server that I've read we could point it to. Wont this take a long time to deploy? The cab files make up a total of +50GB?

Best Regards Kjell.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:28 AM

Answers

• Kjell,

Importing 'all drivers' is never a guarantee that all drivers will work. Imagine a scenario where certain drivers are only installed or additionally discovered when the setup.exe of the driver is executed.

I think firstly you need to resolve the driver issue manually (by executing all the setup.exe's that you have downloaded for this specific model) to see if this will change something.

Then possibly you can identify which driver is missing, and take action. Alternatively you may ask HP for support.

Good luck!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Friday, November 29, 2013 9:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Kjell,

Based on the hardware ID you have provided, the device is from, vendor: Intel Corporation and appears to be the following device: http://listing.driveragent.com/c/pci/8086/155a "Download Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I218-LM Drivers".

Your second question, involving your Windows Update, you can import packages (Windows Updates for example) by importing packages and pointing to your WSUS folder. Next remove anything aceept "SecurityUpdate" as packagetype, this means hotfixes and other stuff. Because due to some packages this step will fail and then you need to have a look at the DISM.log on your running deployment to figure out what's wrong.

When you have imported the packages (preferably in a folder residing in the packages folder), create a selection profile, called "Windows Updates <architecture> <platform>" for Example: Windows Updates x64 Windows 7 when ready go to your task sequence and before the "Apply Operating System" step, select the Apply Packages step, and chose your desired selection profile. This way you will only target the content a selection profiles targets to.

Cheers!

Thursday, November 28, 2013 12:30 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

The driver you linked to should be same as this one that is on hp homepage:http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=5405363&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D%257CswItem%253Dob_125178_1%257CswEnvOID%253D4060%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D%257Cmode%253D%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

That one I'v already added to the drivers and it does not work.

We use mdt 2010, and On the inject drivers it says all drivers and on apply patches it says all packages.

I removed hot fixed and updates and kept securityupdates im going to update the image and try to see if the updates will follow.

The driver issue is still a problem. The 840 hp elitebook G1 will our new computers that we will buy.

The pxe says:

A connection to the deployment share (\\deploy\mailshare) could not be made.

The following networking device did not have a driver installed.

PCI\ pci\ven_8086&dev_155a&subsys_198F103C&REV_04

HP said that it's not the driver fault.

Update: When I tried to add the os updates I get theses errors:

Error: 0x800f081e

The specified package is not applicable to this image.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Exit code = -2146498530

DISM /Add-Package failed, rc = -2146498530.
    Injected package Package_for_KB2686831 neutral x86 6.1.1.0 KB2686831

Best regards Kjell.

Friday, November 29, 2013 8:04 AM
  • Kjell,

Importing 'all drivers' is never a guarantee that all drivers will work. Imagine a scenario where certain drivers are only installed or additionally discovered when the setup.exe of the driver is executed.

I think firstly you need to resolve the driver issue manually (by executing all the setup.exe's that you have downloaded for this specific model) to see if this will change something.

Then possibly you can identify which driver is missing, and take action. Alternatively you may ask HP for support.

Good luck!

Friday, November 29, 2013 9:40 AM
  • Hi,

It says that it's supposed to match the hardware with the drivers?

-How should it be instead?

The computer works fine if I install the driver without the deploy.

Do you mean executing the driver on our computers without the deploy?

I used a win 7 USB and installed the computer instead.

I did not add any other drivers to the 840 folder.

I read that a sysprep duplication of a machine won't work with AD is that true? Otherwise we could use ghost and make a copy of a working 840 installation and sysprep it on the new ones? My collegue said that the sid will be the same if we dont use sysprep.

I've already been in contact with HP.

Best regards Kjell.

Friday, November 29, 2013 10:36 AM
  • Kjell,

That are a lot of questions. Lets brake it up:

Like I said, injecting all the drivers you can find for this specific model is no guarantee that all drivers are being installed out of the box -Do you understand?

You can import 10 drivers for 10 devices, and expect them all to work. But sometimes devices require a more thorough approach. For example by calling the setup.exe as an application, to make sure a driver is completely installed.

The inject driver step only injects *.INF files into the Windows Driver store, so that when Windows is setup, it will look in the driverstore for any matching drivers and install them if a driver is present.

Yes the computer may work fine even if the driver is not installed, but when you take a look into your device manager you have a "unknown device" and that does not look pretty. So you would like to resolve this, yes?

I did not mean executing the driver without the deploy, but perhaps you can manually test it, before you do a complete deployment to see if one particular part works. It would be nuts to do a complete operating system deployment just to test the installation of Adobe Reader for example, yes?

My approach has always been, first test it manually / by command line, then create a application or script, then test the script, then incorporate this step into your task sequence. Otherwise you are going to lose/waste valuable time!

I guess you have installed the machine manually now by hand, deployed from a USB stick and you did not add any drivers. That's fine, no try to execute all driver executables to see which driver resolves your missing driver. If you have identified it, perhaps you then need to embed this executable as an additional driver installation application in MDT!

Sysprep is there to remove any unique identifiers and to prepare to computer to be domain joined. You cannot clone a machine if it is not sysprepped. MDT does this for you right before the capture.

Using Norton Ghost or any other cloning tool when you have MDT up and running is a bit of pitty. MDT is more powerfull then Ghost or any other tool, because it enables you to deploy 1 image to 100 types of hardware models, without having to service the image each time you add another model.

Hope this clarify's enough for you.

Good luck!

Friday, November 29, 2013 10:53 AM
  • Hi,

Im a bit new and confused. I forgot there was a wds that I imported all the drivers to the first time. But now when I try to add only 1 driver, the right one then I get this error:

Error occurred while trying to execute command. Error code: 0xc1420127

I clicked: Add add driver packages to image on the boot image x64 bit>where group name equals group name etc.

Friday, November 29, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Kjell,

You can't import drivers in a MDT created boot image by WDS just like that, you need to regenerate the boot image in MDT by updating the deployment share, and then import the litetouch.wim into WDS as boot image.

Friday, November 29, 2013 2:47 PM
  • Hi,

Where does the new wim get placed?

In mainshare\boot or remoteinstall\boot?Either way when I try to add any of theses it says that the file is currently being used?

//Kjell

Monday, December 2, 2013 12:25 PM
  • Kjell,

I think the image will be stored in the remoteinstall folder, but can you look up to the properties of the boot image in WDS.

Next you can perform a search with "*.wim" to locate the boot image on any folder or share.

Good luck!

In the meantime this topic has evolved to a gathering of questions, perhaps you would like to at least mark the answers that I have given that has helped you thusfar? That would be much appreciated.

Monday, December 2, 2013 12:33 PM
  • Kjell,

After when you have imported the drivers and everything is OK. You need to replace the x64 or x86 boot file in the WDS console. And after that - everything should be OK.

Best regards/Bästa hälsningar
    Flamur Smajli

Thursday, December 5, 2013 11:29 AM
  • Hi,

I've made a new custom wim file and im waiting for a new 840 computer to try my deployment on.

I just took and made a new wim file because of the previous file where in use even tho i diden't use it.

Friday, December 6, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Hi,

Do you perhaps know why the applications doesn't get installed anymore?They worked before, now I got a custom wim. And the driver issue is not a problem anymore thank you!

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:14 AM