none
Post-sysprep OS bombards me with several popups regarding default browser...

Question

• Clean installed from the Win10 version 1703 enterprise ISO.  Opted out of everything except location tracking.  Typed the name for a local account and typed the password etc.  Did not even configure the proxy to get from my corp network out to the internet.  Also didn't open a web browser or even try to download any patches yet. System is pristine at this point.

Dropped my win10 sysprep xml file onto there which I pulled from my 'known good' version 1607 template, ran sysprep.

Sysprep completes without any issues or errors being generated and it shuts down as expected.

Next, boot up the sysprepped image, once again opted out of everything except location tracking get logged on to the desktop for the first time.

Problem: At this point multiple popups are generated around the system tray which state "Your default browser was reset. An app caused a problem with your default browser setting, so it was reset to Microsoft Edge."

Is there a way to get rid of this because it looks unprofessional for one thing?   and since over the last few releases I have never been able to figure out how to get sysprep to prompt for machine name any more or even a way to preconfigure all of these first logon settings like location tracking etc.  I am already looking unprofessional enough to my peers who consume these images and VM templates that I build for them.  

• Edited by Clutch125 Tuesday, April 25, 2017 7:32 PM
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 7:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Was the answer file that you mentioned XML file?

If yes, it should might be your answer file is not matching your Windows 10 1703 image.

What's the default browser specified in your answer file?

You could specific after sysprep using the Group Policy.

Set the default browser using Group Policy

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/set-the-default-browser-using-group-policy

For your next question:

In Windows 10, users can no longer enter a computer name during OOBE as the name is auto-generated. To set a default computer name pre-OOBE, OEMs can configure ComputerName in the Unattend.xml file and specify a name for the computer. After OOBE, end users can change this default computer name after OOBE by changing it in the System Properties page.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:22 AM
  • That's correct the XML file, some call it unattend.xml, I just call it sysprep.xml.  My experience leads me to believe there should not be any need to rebuild the answer file with a simple version rev. Certainly in the past answer files worked fine from base RTM forward through SPs on the same OS and Win10 version rev would seem to be nothing much more than an SP (if it's even that).  Furthermore the xml file is very prone to error so if I had a bad setting of some sort I have little doubt the sysprep would NOT have completed successfully and subsequently booted successfully.

With that being said though I will look into at least bringing the 1703 ISO into the ICD for Win10, re-save / associate the xml with that source ISO and report back. This answer file is very basic btw, there is nothing even defined in my xml regarding default browser.  I do not want to specify the default browser using group policy, this would do nothing at all to get rid of the pop-up errors that I mentioned, these occur on the first logon before anyone would be a domain member.

Last but not least, the longstanding problem with MS not allowing the user to enter a computer name before first logon is that many of us have runonce scripts defined to for example re-synch preinstalled applications to the new computer name. So if those scripts query for the name and get back something auto-generated that is fine until the user then goes ahead and the first thing they do is change the name to something that follows their own naming convention.

TLDR, someone had a great idea at MS back in the day, and some one else later on made a very poorly thought out decision to take away this prompt for computer name which occurred before first logon and before those runonces execute.

Thank you very kindly for the reply.

• Edited by Clutch125 Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:09 PM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:09 PM
  • I see what you mean now about group policy, local not domain. I will look into this too and report back. Thanks.
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:35 PM
  • I see what you mean now about group policy, local not domain. I will look into this too and report back. Thanks.

Ok. Look forward to receiving your update.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 8:53 AM
  • Tried several things this morning, no luck so far. First thing I did was bring my old win10 answer file into the ICD and associated it with the new 1703 source.  Nothing much stood out here, created a new catalog file and then noticed there was one deprecated setting for 'network location' in the OOBE, so I removed that setting.  Re-ran sysprep, same behavior.

Next I looked into enabling the group policy option, where you can export a default associations xml file and point to the path of this xml file within the group policy. In this case 'edge' was already the default browser so I didn't know what this would accomplish, in theory since edge is already the default on this image it should not be necessary to apply this file -- re-ran sysprep and as expected this did not matter.

So that's about it. I have my sysprepped image that will throw these odd pop-ups to my end users, for now it'll have to do.  Hopefully that's ALL it is.  If it's just some pop-ups that will occur the first time logging in and no functionality issues then I'm going to have to just shrug and move on. Things rarely get better with sysprep over the years. The lack of basic QA is sad when default settings are seen as non-defaults.

• Edited by Clutch125 Monday, May 1, 2017 4:11 PM
    Monday, May 1, 2017 4:08 PM
  • welcome the the problem everyone else has complained about for months now

no fix no compatible workaround 

Monday, May 1, 2017 4:32 PM
  • You can set other browser as the default browser manually in the reference PC.

And then export the associate XML file.

Afterwards, use the Group Policy to deploy this XML file to all users.

Monday, May 8, 2017 8:46 AM
  • What you have to do is:

1) Install the image on a reference machine - I use VMware (to keep it clean from drivers)
    -Do not connect to the internet
    -Don't worry about making any modifications to the account you created on the Start Up Wizard

2) Launch sysprep into auditmode 
    -Install the applications
    -Set the Start Menu to how you want it > export the .xml file for the layout (Use GPO to deployed it) or leave it statically
    -DELETE the account created in the initial wizard
    -Run sysprep again to seal the image

3)Create the answer file to include this:
    -Copy Profile
    -OOBE EULA acceptance - etc
    -Create the local account with Admin group 
    -Ensure to set it to not display the initial welcome "We are happy you are here" 

-- Afterwards you will have the image that boots right into the logon screen and once logon no pop ups 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Friday, June 23, 2017 6:11 PM