Swiping from the top restarts the app in Kiosk mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys!

I have a very weird problem. I have a simple app in Kiosk mode. When I swipe from the top edge, the app restarts. 

Is it a known behaviour and I should somehow handle it? or it is something related to my PC?

Thanks

Nick

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 3:50 AM

Answers

• simple app in Kiosk mode. When I swipe from the top edge, the app restarts. 

Sounds like something that you would want in Kiosk mode.  E.g. otherwise a user could close your app and start using your OS for other things.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:33 PM

All replies

• simple app in Kiosk mode. When I swipe from the top edge, the app restarts. 

Sounds like something that you would want in Kiosk mode.  E.g. otherwise a user could close your app and start using your OS for other things.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:33 PM
  • Hi Robert!

Thank you for your reply. Actually I am expecting the not to do anything in Kiosk mode related to edges. It shouldn't restart, it shouldn't close, nothing should happen when the app in Kiosk mode.

Do you think so?

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:58 PM
  • better use a keypad rather than a touch display so you can manage the commands more tightly

This has nothing to do with the input mode (keypad vs. touch) and what exactly does "manage the commands more tightly" mean?

If an app is meant to be running in kiosk mode it should be the only app available to be run regardless of whether the user is using a keyboard, mouse, or touch interface.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:44 AM
  • Hi guys!

I have a very weird problem. I have a simple app in Kiosk mode. When I swipe from the top edge, the app restarts. 

Is it a known behaviour and I should somehow handle it? or it is something related to my PC?

From reading your post I assume that this is an app that you're developing that needs to run in kiosk mode and is somehow faulting and restarting when you swipe down from the top edge. If this is the case, then you should really be asking this question in one of the Windows app development forums. This forum is for IT Pro related issues and not developer related issues. You'll likely get more help if you post where experienced app developers will see your question.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:48 AM
  • Hi guys!

From reading your post I assume that this is an app that you're developing that needs to run in kiosk mode and is somehow faulting and restarting when you swipe down from the top edge. If this is the case, then you should really be asking this question in one of the Windows app development forums. This forum is for IT Pro related issues and not developer related issues. You'll likely get more help if you post where experienced app developers will see your question.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:48 AM
  • Kiosk oriented software for machine like ATMs are still running XP 

migrating that software to a newer version of Windows has not been very rapid

I can help with the development questions easily.

I have not tested 8.1 very deeply with touch based applications however I have adequate hardware for the work.

Try using DX11 D3D for the interface as that will push the desktop out of the way fully and then you can use a touch screen fine with on-screen controls.

This issue has nothing at all to do with XP. Why would you even mention it in the first place? If you are under the mistaken impression that kiosk mode is only for XP then you will be of no help here at all. What leads you to believe that this is an existing app that needs to be migrated from XP to Windows 8.1?

Regardless of whether or not you think you can help, and given your responses here I highly doubt that you can, this is not the correct forum for app development issues.

What leads you to believe that this is a 3D app in the first place? There is nothing to indicate that it is. I'm not a developer but even I can tell from the original post that this has nothing to do with a 3D app nor does it have anything to do with the desktop. The OP's app is somehow faulting and restarting when swiping down from the top and that is obviously not the desired state.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:23 AM
  • Apologies for the double post, not really sure how or why that happened.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:31 AM
  • Ok. I have found that this is not a normal swipe from the top. You need to keep swiping from the top to the middle of the screen.  It is not like a swipe from the top to bring the Nav bar. 

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:40 AM
  • D3D is now replacing other older APIs for the desktop as well as for apps. DX12 will be shipping with the next version of Windows and it will be more tightly parallel.

The OP will likely be using the embedded version of Windows for a kiosk

D3D is not replacing other APIs for either the desktop or apps. It is used for, as its name implies, a very specific function which is to create 3D apps. A direct quote from MSDN:

"You can use Microsoft Direct3D 11 graphics to create 3-D graphics for games and scientific and desktop applications."

You are accomplishing nothing more here than to confuse the issue by continuing to suggest that D3D is the solution.

As for DX12, "it will be more tightly parallel" is simply jargon and doesn't mean anything, nor does it have any bearing here at all.

There is nothing to indicate that the OP is using 8.1 embedded. As a matter of fact, he isn't since he questions if the problem he's having is related to a problem with his PC not with an embedded device.

Kiosk mode is built into Windows 8 and 8.1 and does not require the embedded version.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:46 AM
  • Ok. I have found that this is not a normal swipe from the top. You need to keep swiping from the top to the middle of the screen.  It is not like a swipe from the top to bring the Nav bar. 

Is this an app that you're developing? If so, then your should post in one of these forums where you can get fellow app developers to help:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/home?category=windowsapps

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:51 AM

• What in the world is the purpose of posting this? I'm well aware that Windows 8.1 is available in embedded versions. That wasn't the point. The fact that the OP is running into problems with this app on his PC quite clearly indicates that he is not using the embedded version and as I said, kiosk mode is now built into all versions of Windows 8.1, not just the embedded versions.

You're doing nothing at all to help here, you're simply muddying the waters and confusing the issue.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:56 AM