Windows Update Powershell not Seeing Fall Creators Update (1709 ,KB4043961) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am attempting to use Powershell to download and install the latest creators update (1709 ,KB4043961), but 1709 never shows as an available update.

I am making the standard calls on machines at both 1607, and 1703 as follows:

Get-WUList 

Get-WUinstall 

I have tried -MicrosoftUpdate and -WindowsUpdate.

The settings are set to Current Branch, deferr days are set to 0, and 0.

All updates have downloaded and installed as expected save for 1709. 

has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks

Kurt

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:57 PM

Answers

• That is correct.  You need to find out the address of the upgrade installer and not the KB.  The installer check the system and then does the upgrade.  That installer is not documented and MS doesn't seem to want us to use it.  WSUS can do this but WSUS knows how to get more update types.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by NanoKurt Wednesday, November 29, 2017 2:36 PM
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 10:19 PM

All replies

• You cannot use the update object to cause the creators update to install.  If it is not being offered then it will not show up.

You can download the update from the web site from IE or Edge.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:13 PM
  • Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:14 PM
  • Are you saying there is no way to script a download and update of 1709? On the machine that wont find the update using powershell, I can go to the update settings window, click "check for updates", and it will immediately download and install 1709.
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:32 PM
  • That is correct.  You need to find out the address of the upgrade installer and not the KB.  The installer check the system and then does the upgrade.  That installer is not documented and MS doesn't seem to want us to use it.  WSUS can do this but WSUS knows how to get more update types.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by NanoKurt Wednesday, November 29, 2017 2:36 PM
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 10:19 PM