Application to Application Conflicts & Operating System Compatibility? RRS feed

• Question

• There is a requirement where one of our customer has applications which are developed for Windows XP.

Now he wants to run those in Latest OS(Windows 7) & it's been informed that the applications has conflicts with one another.

I understand that AppV is not a solution for OS Compatibility & we can resolve Application to Application Conflicts using AppV.

But, can any one please help me with the information on making the applications compatible for Windows 7. I heard that we can do this using ChangeBASE AOK. But, it only accepts MSI as input & it'll be a time consuming taaks to first creates MSI & then check compatibility, Apply Fixes & then sequence.

I assume that many of you have worked with the same requirements & looking for your valuable suggestions.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 1:04 PM

Answers

• What you are asking for isn't really App-V related, if you want the OS Compatibility. The tools I'm aware of include AppDNA, ChangeBASE and Flexeras Application Compatibility Pack for AdminStudio. These tools all report on App-V Compatibility, as well as compatibility with Windows 7, 64-bit or 32-bit too.

There's a website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home which allows you to check your applications for compatibility. Some of the entires are based on the vendors input or Microsofts own input BUT most is community driven, which can be a good or bad thing.

You could also try to use the ACT (Application Compatibility Toolkit) Collectors, but I beleive it uses the same source as the site above for the compatibility peice. You could still install ACT, go into Compatibility Administrator, there's over 1k pre-packaged fixes for applications. You can go through the list to see if your application is listed there or not. If it is, generated your shim and deploy that to any machine that the application is required to run on.

If you figure out the OS compatibility and want a reporting tool for just the App-V Compatibility, you could Check out: http://www.autonoware.com/ for a free App-V Reporting tool. Alternatively, You could also, of course just run it through the sequencer, as it reports on compatibility issues too. Autonoware ConversionBox also accepts .EXE without a requirement for passing parameters. Can the application at least be installed on Windows 7 at all though, as currently they only support Windows 7? Also, the App-V 5.0 Sequencer does not support XP, so you would need to use App-V 4.6 SP3, if you do go down that route.

Using the trial for ConversionBox, you can even automate the sequencing...though, that only works in some cases.

ChangeBASE reporting is pretty flawed, in my opinion. It can also be pretty expensive. It does not only accept MSI, technically, it can covnert your EXE on the fly to an MSI and then report on that. Same thing happens with AppDNA. With Autonoware ConversionBox, it carries out an install and generates the report based on the install. Autonoware will just report on the applications compatibility with App-V, not it's OS compatibility.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Marked as answer by Vinodreddy597 Friday, April 24, 2015 1:55 PM
    • Edited by RorymonMVP Friday, April 24, 2015 3:08 PM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2015 3:22 PM