Question regarding running the inventory RRS feed

• Question

• We want to use MAPS to potentially replace a spreadsheet we are currently using that stores all of our version and component installation information for SQL Server.  I want to double check though - when I rerun the inventory will it update the information for servers that have been scanned before?

Also is there a way to ensure it only scans servers if we use the AD DS discovery method?

Thanks,

Friday, May 21, 2010 10:49 PM

All replies

• When you rerun the inventory using the same database it will not rescan machines that is has already gotten all of the data it needs for whichever report your running.

It will scan the entire AD when you use AD discovery method.  If you wish to only have it scan specific machines then you might be better off using the the machine list or the manually entering the computer names methods of discovery.

Thanks,
    Eric

Friday, May 21, 2010 11:02 PM
  • If we ask it to create a new database will it then rescan all machines?  I ask because as we perform upgrades and apply service packs the version of sql will change.  We would like to be able to use this tool to collect the versioning information but, if it doesn't update the version information when you run the scan again it will not contain accurate information.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 9:39 PM
  • With a new database it would perform a completely new inventory.

Monday, May 24, 2010 9:48 PM