Office 2016 ribbon bar smudged RRS feed

• Question

• After recently installing windows updates "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803" and many of the "Office 2016" updates I now experience this in my Outlook 2016 client. The ribbon is smudged. The buttons if you can find them still respond and do what they are supposed to do. If I maximize my window it fixes the issue and same if make the window smaller at that point. Seems like this happens after the window has been minimized for a random period of time. Tried rebooting, different monitors, different themes, all with the same result. 

• Moved by Steve Fan Friday, September 14, 2018 7:47 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Thursday, September 13, 2018 6:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you notice the same problem in other Office applications, such as Excel, Word?

We may first try to start Outlook in safe mode to see whether this issue continues. To do this, exit Outlook first, type outlook /safe and press Enter.

If other Office applications are not affected, we may also try open any other Office application, go to File > Options > Advanced and enable the "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" option. Then, start Outlook to see whether this issue persists.

In addition, we may also try running a repair of your Office installation to see the result. For your convenience:

Repair an Office application

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by bjp106 Friday, September 14, 2018 2:20 PM
    Friday, September 14, 2018 8:00 AM
  • I did try the "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" option and that seemed to fix the issue for me. Thank you
    Friday, September 14, 2018 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you notice the same problem in other Office applications, such as Excel, Word?

We may first try to start Outlook in safe mode to see whether this issue continues. To do this, exit Outlook first, type outlook /safe and press Enter.

If other Office applications are not affected, we may also try open any other Office application, go to File > Options > Advanced and enable the "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" option. Then, start Outlook to see whether this issue persists.

In addition, we may also try running a repair of your Office installation to see the result. For your convenience:

Repair an Office application

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, September 14, 2018 8:00 AM
  • I did try the "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" option and that seemed to fix the issue for me. Thank you
    Friday, September 14, 2018 2:20 PM
  • Glad to hear that!

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Monday, September 17, 2018 1:22 AM