.Pst file RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I archived my emails from outlook 2007 and its 7GB in size. After mapping the archive to another outlook 2007 in my new computer, i decided to check the size on outlook client from the properties. it displayed just 4GB. 

What i am saying is that, the archive on file explorer is 7GB and in outlook client (after mapping) is 4GB. 

Please is there a reason for this?

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What exactly do you mean by "mapping"? Simply opened it in Outlook or imported it?

What's the size of total size of this mailbox before your "mapping" this pst file?

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 7:46 AM
  • Sorry i meant import archive.

The total size was 7GB before importing the .pst file it to outlook. After that, i checked the imported archive via properties in outlook and it displays only 4GB.

Thanks.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 12:34 PM
  • Hello Dear, 

I would like to suggest you some possible solutions that can be performed to fix the respective issue. Please apply and check, they are working or not.

Following are the Possibilities for the issue in Outlook:

1.) It might be possible that you would have selected the option "Do not import duplicate items" while importing your PST file in Outlook. This will not import your duplicate data of PST file. So, if this is the case, then the size of the imported PST file will vary. That's why the previous file size was 7 GB and after importing it, the size remains 4 GB. 

2.) Secondly, this issue may occur if a PST file is corrupted or having certain viruses on your new computer. Due to this situation, several data may be deleted from Outlook file and hence the resulted PST is showing only 4 GB. To check this manually, please cross verify the procedure to import data from old computer's Outlook 2007 to newly computer's Outlook version. And if in case, it is found that the data has been deleted from PST file (Archive.pst), then you will have to recover them from Arhive.pst file using Outlook Recovery tool 

3.) In a third case, it may happen when a user tries to find the imported PST using Outlook search box. Because Outlook search result showed only mailbox data but not the Archive.pst file data. And hence the size you will be seeing is of your mailbox, not the imported Archive folder. And hence to check the size of imported data, you must check your Archive.pst folder. 

Friday, January 27, 2017 12:52 PM
  • Okay, i will try them out and get back to you soon.

Thanks alot for your help.

Regards.

Monday, January 30, 2017 7:28 AM
  • Kelvin is right, by doing this your problem should be solved.

But if Outlook is corrupted then you try Scanpst.exe; the inbuilt utility by Microsoft. It can repair minnor corruption issues of Outlook data file. To locate and run scanpst.exe, refer to https://www.datarepairtools.com/blog/repair-corrupted-outlook-pst-file-using-inbox-repair-tool-or-scanpst-exe-tool/

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 5:27 PM