Event ID: 3005 Exchange server 2003‏ RRS feed

• Question

• Hi;

I am planning to emigrate my Exchange from 2003 to 2010, but  when someone send e-mail from outside to the user moved from old server (Exchange 2003) to new (Exchange 2010) its giving me the following error:

A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients.  Contact your administrator.

EVENT:

non-delivery report with a status code of 4.4.6 was generated for recipient rfc822

Cause: The maximum hop count was exceeded for this message. This non-delivery report can also be caused if a looping condition exists between sending and receiving servers that are not in the same Exchange organization. In this situation, the message bounces back and forth until the hop count is exceeded. A configuration error in the e-mail system can also cause the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. 
    Solution: The maximum hop count is a property set on each virtual server and you can manually override it. The default maximum hop count is 15. Also, check for any situations that might cause loops between servers.

Help Please

Regards

Friday, January 22, 2016 5:19 AM

Answers

• Do you have a routing group connector?  You should have one between the Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2010 servers.  One is probably sufficient, but I can't say for sure without knowing your server topology.

Do you have any send connectors (Exchange 2010) or SMTP connectors (Exchange 2003) that direct mail for the domain to the other version?  You shouldn't; that's what the routing group connector is for.

You're welcome to post more details about your transport configuration if you want further assistance.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Edited by Ed CrowleyMVP Friday, January 22, 2016 8:18 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Monday, January 25, 2016 11:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niko.Cheng Saturday, January 30, 2016 7:17 AM
    Friday, January 22, 2016 8:18 PM