WorkFolders Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I´m currently testing out WorkFolders for Windows 10(Official release) but I´m unable to get this working.
    There is no problem with Windows 8.1

Error message: (Sync Stopped. Can´t encrypt files) To continue synchronising,close any open Files or application...

Work Folders detected a sync error. Check partnership status, network connectivity, and disk space. EventID 9002

Sync failed. Work Folders path: C:\Users\MYUSER\Work Folders; Error: (0x80c80314) The Work Folders path has to be encrypted. You might have an application holding the Work Folders folder open or the folder might be compressed. Close File Explorer and any open files or apps, and check the folder's Advanced properties to ensure that the folder is not compressed. EventID 2100

Client is running with Windows Defender(SCEP) and I cant see any application that would cause this issue.

How can I pinpoint this problem and is there someone that have had the same issue?

• Edited by KingEzalor Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:36 PM Added EventID
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Above all, as it mentioned that some files may be locked which prevented EFS from encrypting, please try a reboot and disable real-time protection in SCEP. See if issue still exists.

Also I noticed that the following key could also cause this issue:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\EFS

There is a value named EFSConfiguration. Please make sure it is set as 0.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 3:22 AM
  • Hi,

we have the same Problem on our Win 10 devices.

Have you solved the Problem?

Greets 

Thursday, September 3, 2015 1:46 PM
  • Hello,

I´ve unistalled SCEP from the client and I´m unable to find registry entry: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Changed Windows Defender real time protection to "Off"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I´ve also tried enabling work folders on a fresh Windows 10 computer without our custom image or software and I´m facing the same issues here.

I´m still unable to enable to encrypt the workfolder folder. Creating a new sync share without encryption works without problem.

• Edited by KingEzalor Wednesday, September 16, 2015 1:29 PM Added information
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 9:34 AM
  • No solution yet..
    Friday, September 18, 2015 7:25 AM
  • This error occurs when the Work Folders server requires the client to encrypt the data but the client can't do that.

The error text gives some information on possible causes. Have you verified that:

* The folder (if it already exists) is not opened by some other process? To check, you can usehttps://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

* The folder was not already encrypted

* To rule out issues with the specific folder, try setting up Work Folders by specifying a custom path that doesn't currently exist.

* Check that there is no group policy which blocks encryption - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\EFS - the EFSConfiguration value should be 1

* Check that the user's EFS cert is not revoked

If none of the above work, I'd recommend you contact our support team who would provide instructions on how to collect low level traces so the issue can be pinpointed, investigated and resolved.

P.S. What Win10 build/SKU are you hitting this on?

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:07 PM
  • * The folder (if it already exists) is not opened by some other process? To check, you can usehttps://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
    Answer: Folder is not opened by other process

* The folder was not already encrypted
    Answer: Tested with Windows 10 with any other encryption methods.

* To rule out issues with the specific folder, try setting up Work Folders by specifying a custom path that doesn't currently exist.
    Answer: Tested with custom paths, same result

* Check that there is no group policy which blocks encryption - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\EFS - the EFSConfiguration value should be 1
    Answer: Computer Object tested in isolated OU without group Policies, same result.
    "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" registry doesnt exist, only options is: \Printers , \Terminal Services , \Windows File Protection

* Check that the user's EFS cert is not revoked
    Answer: EFS Cert has not been installed on client from CA , is this a requirement for Work Folders? 
    EFS Cert is not installed on our Windows 8.1 and its working.

Tested with latest Win10 Build from volume licensing downloads.
    • Edited by KingEzalor Thursday, September 24, 2015 1:50 PM Added information
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 1:49 PM
  • It seems to be our "Default Domain Policy" creating the problem, I don´t know why and I can´t see anything in it that would cause the issues.

As long as I have the client put in a OU with "Block Inheritance" Work Folders works with encryption. I´ve tested added each policy and tested them out 1 by 1 and there is no problems with the policies.

How can I figure this out?

Friday, September 25, 2015 12:41 PM
  • Glad to hear you figured out the culprit.

I'll ask internally to see if the EFS team has an idea on what might be going on.

I'd still recommend reaching out to our support so they can collect WF and/or EFS traces as this should pinpoint the problem right away.

Friday, September 25, 2015 6:14 PM
  • Hello,

How do I contact your support team so I can send them the information?

Monday, September 28, 2015 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

I'm from the Work Folders team, and not aware of the encryption issue on Windows 10.

For be able to help you pinpoint the issue, we will need the trace files to investigation. Please ping me offline at jianyan at microsoft, so I can share with you the trace collecting steps.

Thanks

Jane

Monday, October 5, 2015 9:22 PM
  • Hello Jane,

How exactly do I do that?

/Mikael

Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:59 PM
  • I have the same issue.  Is there a fix?

Windows 10 1511 Professional

BitLocker is enabled.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 3:44 PM
  • Please check this blogpost:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2016/01/06/troubleshooting-work-folders-on-windows-client.aspx

If that doesn't help, feel free to reach out. My contact is jianyan at microsoft.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 8:37 PM