Windows 7 User profile issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am kind of new IT girl to manage window 7 users with GPO.

We have 6 branch offices and one head office so that we have 7 Domain Controllers on each site locally but all 7 DCs are synced. If the local DC is not available , users can reach others.

We manage user desktop by group policy, like desktop icons, C drive access etc.

Recently we got an issue that when user log into the pc, they cannot see their desktop icons and all other GPOs are not applied. I found the solution to clear the client side cache by hotfix "MicrosoftFixit50561.msi", it fixes the issue right away after reboot. I don't understand why it resolves the issue. If the user cannot get the settings from the first DC it tried to talk to, user will automatically try next one, why it used the offline cache and why the offline cache is not working properly.

Also, I am not sure if the computers is 100% talking to the local DC first. Is there anyway we can figure out that which DC the computer was trying to talk to at first time?

I have completely no clue about this, hope if there is anyone can help me?

Thank you

Thursday, January 21, 2016 3:55 PM

Answers

• Hi GeQu,

At the beginning, I’m glad to hear that you have find a solution to deal with offline file issue. your measure is simple and efficient. Using Microsoft “Fix it” is safe, I agree with your approach.

When using offline files/folders, it sometimes has trouble or corrupted, leaving the whole sync of offline files in an unusable state, so, clients wouldn’t sync information or apply GPO from server. In your scenario, since your team manage user’s desktop by group policies, offline files issue can cause client’s desktop abnormality. There is an official documentation can introduce more methods for clear offline files, maybe can be useful to you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/230738#bookmark-letmefixitmyselfalways

On the other hand, about how to find out which DC that clients is talking to, we could use DOS commands to look up. The following simple command is enough.

echo %LOGONSERVER%

In addition, as you current condition, you’re working in large Active Directory implementation with multiple DC’s and Sites, want to determine which Domain Controller machines are authenticating against at any given time, the following command can be accepted.

nltest /dsgetdc:domain_name

On my computer, this command tells me an exact information, like this picture below.

Please have a try.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, January 23, 2016 12:40 PM

All replies

• Hi GeQu,

At the beginning, I’m glad to hear that you have find a solution to deal with offline file issue. your measure is simple and efficient. Using Microsoft “Fix it” is safe, I agree with your approach.

When using offline files/folders, it sometimes has trouble or corrupted, leaving the whole sync of offline files in an unusable state, so, clients wouldn’t sync information or apply GPO from server. In your scenario, since your team manage user’s desktop by group policies, offline files issue can cause client’s desktop abnormality. There is an official documentation can introduce more methods for clear offline files, maybe can be useful to you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/230738#bookmark-letmefixitmyselfalways

On the other hand, about how to find out which DC that clients is talking to, we could use DOS commands to look up. The following simple command is enough.

echo %LOGONSERVER%

In addition, as you current condition, you’re working in large Active Directory implementation with multiple DC’s and Sites, want to determine which Domain Controller machines are authenticating against at any given time, the following command can be accepted.

nltest /dsgetdc:domain_name

On my computer, this command tells me an exact information, like this picture below.

Please have a try.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, January 23, 2016 12:40 PM
  • Hi GeQu,
    Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:19 AM