none
A few questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

I currently use vanilla WDS with prestaging the accounts in AD.  This means all I need to do is manually choose the disk/partition and everything else is automated.

I'm playing with MDT 2013 as from what I can see it can give me much more control and automation.  I want it to be completely automated but I am having great difficulty getting it to do this.

I have setup an MDT database (which is on a separate server to where WDS and MDT are installed) and added in 1 computer to test, using Windows 7 x64.  I am using both UUID and MAC address.  This computer has all the bits needed to auto-deploy it but WinPE is just not connecting to the SQL database to pull the info - if I run a SQL Profiler trace I can see no connections from WinPE.

This means I have to manually fill everything in.

I have followed every article and video I can find on how to setup the MDT database but it just will not work.  What am I missing?

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 4:14 PM

Answers

• What a pleb.  The account I was using for WinPE didn't have permissions to the MDT database.

As as soon as I added them, bingo.  All working now.

Is it possible to build a template for the computers added to the database.  Apart from obviously MAC, UUID and OSDComputerName, they're all the same settings in our environment.

I'm more than competent with SQL, so can write something to do this if needed.
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 9:45 AM

All replies

• What happens when WinPE loads? Is your CustomSettings.ini configured correctly?

-Nick O.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:11 PM
  • SQL connections, can be a bit tedious to configure.

Is named pipes enabled? Anyway, just as a test, but using TCP/IP connections worked for me right away. Here's my cs.ini db config:

[CSettings]
    SQLServer=10.150.4.23
    SQLShare=DeploymentShare$
    DBID=MDT_Reader
    DBPwd=<password>
    Netlib=DBMSSOCN
    Database=MDT
    Table=ComputerSettings
    Parameters=UUID, AssetTag, SerialNumber, MacAddress
    ParameterCondition=OR

[MMSettings]
    SQLServer=10.150.4.23
    SQLShare=DeploymentShare$
    DBID=MDT_Reader
    DBPwd=<password>
    Netlib=DBMSSOCN
    Database=MDT
    Table=MakeModelSettings
    Parameters=Make, Model

Make sure SQL port 1433 is open for incoming connections, or disable your firewall temporarily for testing purposes.

Also create a smb share on your SQL server for authentication.

Cheers!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:07 PM
  • What a pleb.  The account I was using for WinPE didn't have permissions to the MDT database.

As as soon as I added them, bingo.  All working now.

Is it possible to build a template for the computers added to the database.  Apart from obviously MAC, UUID and OSDComputerName, they're all the same settings in our environment.

I'm more than competent with SQL, so can write something to do this if needed.
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 9:45 AM