Navigation Pane not showing !! RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I'm facing a strange issue. In the applications installed (whether it is IE8, Firefox, Word), whenever I try to save something like a webpage on IE8/Firefox or a document in Word, the Save As dialog box doesn't shows the Navigation Pane. I even tried to enable it by Ogranize->Layout->Navigation pane method but that doesn't seem to work.

Strange enough, in Windows Explorer, the Navigation Pane option works correctly i.e. it enables/disbales as set.

Please Help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Amit

Saturday, June 5, 2010 12:00 PM

Answers

• When did the issue first occur? Did it occur after installing some software or utilities? If so, uninstall the software to see if the issue can be resolved.

In the meantime, create a new user account and see if the issue occurs. If the issue does not occur in a new user account, try the suggestions in this article: Fix a corrupted user profile

If the issue occurs in all user accounts, use the System File Checker tool to see if there is any missing or corrupted system files.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:28 AM
    Friday, June 11, 2010 8:43 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

I'm facing a strange issue. In the applications installed (whether it is IE8, Firefox, Word), whenever I try to save something like a webpage on IE8/Firefox or a document in Word, the Save As dialog box doesn't shows the Navigation Pane. I even tried to enable it by Ogranize->Layout->Navigation pane method but that doesn't seem to work.

Strange enough, in Windows Explorer, the Navigation Pane option works correctly i.e. it enables/disbales as set.

Please Help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Amit

Hi Amit

The newer Coomon Dialog, such as 'Save As' has a Show/Hide button located at the lower/left corner of the dialog box.

Clicking that button should fix the problem.

Let us know.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Sunday, June 6, 2010 7:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:08 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by amitks81 Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:31 AM
    Sunday, June 6, 2010 7:50 AM
  • Also, check if this setting is checked:

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:08 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by amitks81 Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:37 AM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 7:10 AM
  •  

Hi Ronnie,

I've tried the same but it doesn't works.

Regards,

Amit

Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:31 AM

• Hi Linda,

The issue is doesn't occur in windows explorer. It's only in the other applications that Save As dialog doesn't show navigation page. In windows explorer, I've already enabled Navigation pane as you pointed out and it shows up correctly in it but with other applications (i.e. IE8, Firefox), enabling navigation pane doesn't works.

I'll post some screenshots soon.

Regards,

Amit

Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:37 AM
  • Hi All,

I'm attaching some screenshots. It might help to visualize the issue.

As Linda has already pointed out how to enable the navigation pane, I've tried doing the same in the Save As dialog box of every application but it doesn't selects it even after clicking on the Organize->Layout->Navigation pane option.

This is the Save As dialog in firefox.

This is the Save As dialog in IE8.

This is the Save As dialog in MS Word 2010.

Now, the issue is that even enabling navigation pane using Organize->Layout->Navigation Pane in this Save As dialog doesn't work. I mean even after clicking it, it is not selected.

Regards,

Amit

Thursday, June 10, 2010 10:09 AM
  • When did the issue first occur? Did it occur after installing some software or utilities? If so, uninstall the software to see if the issue can be resolved.

In the meantime, create a new user account and see if the issue occurs. If the issue does not occur in a new user account, try the suggestions in this article: Fix a corrupted user profile

If the issue occurs in all user accounts, use the System File Checker tool to see if there is any missing or corrupted system files.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:28 AM
    Friday, June 11, 2010 8:43 AM