none
ODBC Data doesn't load into PowerPivot Data Model RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks for adding the ODBC Source.

With PowerQuery, I'm able to connect to ODBC database and load the data into PowerQuery window fine. But when I try to load the data into PowerPivot Model, I will just get stuck at the load sign

If I instead try to load the data into  worksheet,  it only loads the preview data and then gets stuck...

what should I do to fix it

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 4:48 AM

Answers

All replies

• From which source do you try to load the data? What is the dataset size?

Do you receive any errors from the ODBC driver?

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 7:33 AM
  • ODBC Data Source (Gupta SQLBase),

Data size doesn't matter, I tried loading a table that has only 10 rows and got the same issue (It did load all the rows in the workbook though but the power query windows still said, preview rows loaded with the busy sign)

No error were received from the ODBC driver

All the data does seem to be loading in the power query windows (for small tables I can see all the rows), but i'm, not able to load it into wither data model or the excel workbook.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 7:44 AM
  • Thank you for the answer. It looks like a bug, and we will investigate it.

Can you try to create connection only, and then load the data via Excel's Data->Existing Connections?

I am not suggesting it as a long term solution, just trying to narrow down the source of the problem.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 7:54 AM
  • Hi Gil,

Same issue with this method, see the picture below, It's stuck at getting data...

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 9:29 AM
  • Hi,

Does the driver work for you with tools other than Power Query? Have you tried using it directly with Power Pivot, or from the Excel data table?

To try it out with Excel's native ODBC capabilities, you'd need to configure an ODBC DSN, and then configure your query using:

DATA -> From Other Sources -> From Data Connection Wizard

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 4:56 PM
  • Hi Matt,

It works fine with Excel's Native ODBC capabilities.

It also works fine, If I create it directly from PowerPivot Window

Friday, February 6, 2015 4:56 AM
  • Thanks - we'll look into this further. 
    Friday, February 6, 2015 5:02 PM
  • Hi Power Query Team,

Has there been any progress on this issue, I'm also getting this issue on excel 2016 preview version of power query too.

Monday, June 1, 2015 7:14 PM
  • I'm sorry, it looks like investigation into this issue may have been dropped. Making sure you have the most recent version of Power Query, please turn on tracing from the Diagnostics tab of the Options dialog and reproduce the problem. After waiting for the refresh to not finish for some period of time, submit the trace using "Send a Frown".
    Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:26 PM