none
Error ID:1001 while recovering HyperV VM from DPM 2012 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello There,

I have a recovery point created for one of the VM which i am trying to recover but as soon as i click recover i get the error.

Please suggest.

Regards,

maqsood

Maqsood Mohammed Senior Systems Engineer MCITP-Enterprise Admin & ITILv3 Foundation Certified

Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:48 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As a workaround,  you can restore the VHD by going to Management>Tape Library>Right Click on the Tape>select backup set for the data source containing the VHD and then click on the COPY button.  That will restore to a network location and you can then copy it to the hyper-v server and replace the VHD manually.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is this a tape based recovery point you are attempting to recover the VM from ?  Do other recovery points restore OK for the same VM ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:32 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, it is tape based recovery point and i can recover files and folders without any problem.

I didnt try other recovery points of the VM.

Regards,

Maqsood

Maqsood Mohammed Senior Systems Engineer MCITP-Enterprise Admin & ITILv3 Foundation Certified

Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:35 AM
  • Hi,

As a workaround,  you can restore the VHD by going to Management>Tape Library>Right Click on the Tape>select backup set for the data source containing the VHD and then click on the COPY button.  That will restore to a network location and you can then copy it to the hyper-v server and replace the VHD manually.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:46 PM
  • Thanks for the answer but it's not really an ideal fix is it. Restoring a few GB of files means having to restore a few TB of file server.

I must admit I hate how flimsy and unstable DPM is. If you so much as login wrong it crashes. Edit a protection group it crashes. Try to restore? Get an error with no description and an option to copy text... well thanks for helping me to copy all that text too - ID: 1001

Perfect

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 11:01 AM
  • Hi,

There have been a lot of fixes since DPM 2012 Sp1 and DPM 2019 + UR1 is very stable and has additional fixes relate to tape restore.  I believe there is one outstanding tape restore issue still that will be addressed in DPM 2019 UR2.

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 3:07 PM