Sequencing Sage 50 Accounts 2014 RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone help with an issue sequencing Sage 50 Accounts 2014?  AppV 4.6 SP3.  Have previously sequenced v2012 with no amendments to standard sequencing procedure.  v2014 will not launch for customization or streaming.  If launched from the .exe in the VFS folder get the Side-by-Side error detailed in the event logs copied below.  A manual install works without issues.   Have tried deleting the SBDDesktop.exe.config file during sequencing and the application then launches, but the file is written back when the application is saved.  Also tried editing this file as line 4 is detailed in the event log error, but the application still does not launch and also if the amended version is left in place get a SystemGuard 53256 error when attempting to save the package. 

Thursday, July 10, 2014 1:52 PM

Answers

• Hello, Microsoft have suggested we delete the  SBDDesktop.exe.config file. This has got our Sage 2014 working with App-V 5 hotfix 4.  
    Monday, August 4, 2014 9:58 AM

All replies

• SBDDesktop.exe.config, amended version below, original did not have the text in red - processorArchitecture="x86"

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!-- Microsoft AppVirt generated config file.-->

<configuration>

<windows>

<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">

<dependentAssembly>

<assemblyIdentity type="win32" processorArchitecture="x86" name="SageSystemControls" publicKeyToken="1255b113b2b03444"/>

<bindingRedirect oldVersion="12.1.0.64" newVersion="12.1.0.64"/>

</dependentAssembly>

</assemblyBinding>

</windows>

</configuration>

Event log entries:

Activation context generation failed for C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sage SBD\SBDDesktop\v12\SBDDesktop.exe error in manifest or policy file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sage SBDDesktop\v12\SBDDesktop.exe.Config on line 4.  The required processorArchitecture is missing from element assembyIdentity.  Event ID 62 SideBySide

Activation context generation failed for C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sage SBD\SBDDesktop\v12\SageSBD.Plantform.Sdata.Settings.exe.  Error in manifest or policy file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sage SBD\SBDDesktop\v12\Sage.SBD.Platform.SData.exe.Config The required processorArchitecture is missing from element assembyIdentity

Thursday, July 10, 2014 1:55 PM
  • Hello,

If installing this on the sequencer, without sequencing - are the same error events generated?

If you use process monitor to Review the background activity when attempting to start the application when virtualized, what happens?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, July 10, 2014 9:04 PM
  • The software installs manually on the sequencer and runs without any issues.  Since writing the above have also modified the .osd file to delete the file on launch, Sage Accounts now launches but is unusable as it runs really slowly.  Have put the .osd back to original, will look at procmon tomorrow on launching on a client.  Should I be able to modify the .config file during sequencing/saving the package and retain the changes?
    Monday, July 14, 2014 3:18 PM
  • Yes, if you modify the .exe.config during sequecing, it should be included in the package. As you are using App-V 4, the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sage SBDDesktop\v12\ is likely in the 'VFS' part of the package, so you can even use the sequencer's 'Edit' mode to add that file; of course you can also use the Update App or Add App wizard.

For the performance isse you could try to install Sage into the Primary Directory (tell it to install to Q:\... whatever you use there). If the installation succeeds, you _might_ see an improved perfomance

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:54 AM
  • Re-sequenced with install location of V: (our Q:), Sage would again only launch without the SBDDesktop.exe.config file present, neither the edited version or the original version allowed the application to launch.  Edited the files after launching the application, before selected Finish Installing, when saving the package, got the same error re SystemGuard 53256, virtual environment did not launch successfully.   Have also tried replacing the file on the client at launch but still get the same error re SideBySide configuration.  Same errors if default install to C:\Program Files.  Repeated manual install which launches without issues.
    Friday, July 18, 2014 3:21 PM
  • Hi Denise, I'm not able to offer you any good news other than to say I have a case open with Microsoft about sequencing Sage 2014 using App-V 5.

We were able to sequence 2013 using app-v 5 when you install hotfix 4 but have hit problems with 2014. 2014 will sequence fine using the latest sequencer but wont appear when you publish it through SCCM or App-V standalone.

Monday, July 21, 2014 8:27 AM
  • Hi Ian,  I'm seeing the same thing in app-v 4.6 sp3.  I'm sequencing to q: a sage 2014 doesn't load first time with the aforementioned SxS errors in the event log about processor arcitecture.  if I remove  SBDDesktop.exe.config file it launches. Can we have an update when you hear back from microsoft please? regards

Waldy

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 11:17 AM
  • Hi Denise, I'm not able to offer you any good news other than to say I have a case open with Microsoft about sequencing Sage 2014 using App-V 5.

We were able to sequence 2013 using app-v 5 when you install hotfix 4 but have hit problems with 2014. 2014 will sequence fine using the latest sequencer but wont appear when you publish it through SCCM or App-V standalone.

Hi IanC97

Did you happen to hear anything back from microsoft? im also getting issues with Sequencing Sage 2014 using App-V 5

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:16 PM
  • Hello, I will definitely let you know if we make any progress, the case has been open over a month and I'm told a senior app-v engineer is looking into it. 

I have been able to virtualize Sage 2014 using a different virtualizing technology but as this is a Microsoft forum I better not say which one :)

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:36 PM
  • Hello, I will definitely let you know if we make any progress, the case has been open over a month and I'm told a senior app-v engineer is looking into it. 

I have been able to virtualize Sage 2014 using a different virtualizing technology but as this is a Microsoft forum I better not say which one :)

Thank you Sir, much appreciated!
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:37 PM
  • Hello, Microsoft have suggested we delete the  SBDDesktop.exe.config file. This has got our Sage 2014 working with App-V 5 hotfix 4.  
    Monday, August 4, 2014 9:58 AM
  • We're new to App-V and having the same issue - can you explain the resolution in greater detail?  Is this done on the sequencer WHILE sequencing, do you edit the package and remove it, etc. 

Dave

Friday, September 5, 2014 4:17 PM
  • I am having the same issue with Sage 50 Accounting 2014 Premium . The App-V Sequencer 5.0 SP3 CRASHES after I install Sage 50 Accounting 2014 Premium. I have sequenced 2013 and 2015 versions and several other applications without any such problems. Any help is much appreciated.

Joe

Monday, January 5, 2015 8:36 PM
  • I have had to move from this troublesome app.  i remember that I got past the issue of crashing by editing the sequenced app and removing the SBDDesktop.exe.config file.

I then had sXs issues that I couldn't overcome. 

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 3:53 PM