none
Setting or Software to delay audio output?

Question

• Built Windows 7 Media Center, connected to TV and the great Samsung TV doesn't pass through 5.1 audio, so using RCA or optical (playing around using either, issue present on both) directly from the PC to the speakers.

Problem is HDMI has a delay in processing on the TV, so audio plays before video.

Using the onboard audio in the PC (just Realtek HD), Video card is a Radeon HD 5830 using the HDMI output.

I've looked through all the audio playback settings and the Realtek HD Audio Manager and can't find anything to just simply delay the audio output.

Does anyone know of any tool or software to do this? Or of something pre-existing in Windows to perform this?
    Sunday, September 9, 2012 4:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Allister,

Voxengo Sound Delay is a plugin for for delaying audio signals. Could u try if it works for you.

You can get it from http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2008/06/18/free-delay-effect-for-mac-windows/

Monday, September 10, 2012 5:50 AM
  • Thanks but what you've linked is a plugin for Audio Mixing software, not something that can delay all audio in Windows.
    Monday, September 10, 2012 5:57 AM
  • Hi,

Does the issue occurs if we play the video on PC directly? If so, the issue may be caused by the codec. You’d better to download the correct codec for a test.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:21 AM
  • I don't understand what you're asking Kim. Through the PC directly? The source for the video and audio is the PC.

The issue is a well known issue - HDMI has a delay in processing on some TVs. As my TV won't pass through 5.1 I have no choice but to connect to the speakers directly to the PC which causes the audio to occur before the video.

This is not caused by anything being wrong on the PC or a codec issue or such. I don't want anything fixed. I want a way to delay the audio.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:48 PM
  • What exactly do you mean with the TV not passing through 5.1 audio? That it doesn't pick up the audio signal that is transferred through HDMI?

What model of Samsung TV is this?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Saturday, September 15, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to know if the issue occurs when you use the monitor. If so, the issue may be related to the codec. If not, the issue may be related to transmission.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Sunday, September 16, 2012 10:48 AM
  • @ Tim

As in if I put the video and audio from the PC to the TV via HDMI I cannot use optical or HDMI to then output 5.1 to my speakers from the TVs outputs. This is a limitation of most TVs today. Even if I could do that though I would prefer not to as my speakers (Logitech Z5500) accept DTS via Optical.

I believe from research the lack of 5.1 passthrough is some DRM bullshit.

It's a series 6 51" plasma PS51D6900..

@ Kim

I don't have a monitor that will accept HDMI input, but I'll try via DVI to a monitor and see if that satisfies?

Sunday, September 16, 2012 12:20 PM
  • As in if I put the video and audio from the PC to the TV via HDMI I cannot use optical or HDMI to then output 5.1 to my speakers from the TVs outputs. This is a limitation of most TVs today. Even if I could do that though I would prefer not to as my speakers (Logitech Z5500) accept DTS via Optical.
    Surprising - I would have thought that 5.1 audio output from HDMI is a common usage scenario and that most TVs would support this, but apparently this isn't the case. It also seemed like the 'cleanest' solution. I'm afraid that I can't help you with anything to delay audio output.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:17 PM
  • As said Tim I think it's for DRM, so say if you had cable or something you don't have an easy way to rip or some BS. Just DRM ruining consumer's experience while Pirates have ways around it. Hmmm.

The consensus on this is generally this is what a Receiver is for and some Receivers have delay options, problem is my Media Center PC is basically my receiver in a sense. Hopefully in a few months I'll be buying the Samsung 5.1 Speaker/Blu Ray Player combo - I'd expect this will solve the issue, if not I at least can deal with Samsung about the issue.

Until then something to just delay audio would be awesome.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:30 AM
  • I use windows 7 and have the same Logitech stereo as you.

The speakers on my TV sound nasty, so I don't wish to use them at all.

My optical input is being used by my xbox, so I connect my PC to my sound system via 3 audio jack leads.

Select the DIRECT INPUT on your Logitech system, and be sure the switch next to the input leads is set to 6 ch. direct.

In the audio manager, disable audio through HDMI and enable sound output through speakers.

Hopefully, this should solve your problem.

I see this thread is over a year old, but none of you have posted the solution that works - if it was even  solved at all.

If anyone else browses this page for solutions and have the same equipment then I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Friday, December 6, 2013 3:36 PM
  • Hi, I understand your problem. If you use your TV for watching movies you can delay the audio by changing the settings in Media player classic.

Extra: (This will not delay youtube videos for example and not games, but you can't play games on a TV where you can notice the delay anyway.)

Hope this helps, 6 years 2 late :D

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 9:24 PM