none
DPM 2010 not clearing exchange 2010 log files RRS feed

• Question

• I have DPM 2010 protecting an exchange 2010 (14.1.218.15) db in a DAG with 2 copies.  In DPM One is selected as a full backup and one as the copy.  After the backup is complete the log files are not cleared out.  This started earlier this month.  I don't see any relevant event log entries on the exchange servers or dpm server.  Any help is appreciated!
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Andrew,

Did you see these Exchange Event:

Log Name:      Application     
    Source:        MSExchangeIS      
    Date:          xxxxx
    Event ID:      9827        
    Description:      
    Exchange VSS Writer has successfully completed the full or incremental backup of replicated database 'xxx'. The log files will be truncated after they have been replayed.

Source:        MSExchangeRepl
    Event ID:      2046
    Description:
    The Microsoft Exchange Replication service VSS Writer instance xxxx has successfully completed the backup of database 'xxxx'.
    Database log truncation has been requested for this database. Log truncation will occur on the active copy after the next log generation is created. Log truncation will occur automatically on the passive copies after that log file is copied.

Edit: could you post your events logs entries fron Exchange server during backup process ?

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Friday, September 14, 2012 8:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

When DPM backup a DAG its is important that the DAG node that holds the active database will be backed up using the full technuiqe. Please verify that the DAG node holing the active DAG is the chosen for Full and the copy node mailbox database is chosen for copy.

During the full backup of a DAG mailbox database the logfiles will be cleared if the mailbox database using the log files are marked for full backup.

Please get back with information and we will take it from there.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:28 PM
  • Hi,

When protecting DAGs, it is not necessary to select the active mailbox databases for protection by DPM. DPM is database role agnostic and can be configured to protect a server that hosts a collection of active or passive mailbox databases.

During the creation of the protection group did you select a full backup or a copy backup ?

It is the full backup that will have the logs truncated.

A copy backup will not truncate the logs.

If you are protecting more than one copy of the exchange database, then configure one exchange database for full backup and the other for copy backup. 

You have to verify that one copy is fullbackp and the other is copybackup.

Also take a look on Exchange Event and search for Log truncation process (I don't have the event Id in mind) 

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Friday, September 14, 2012 9:10 AM
  • Hello,

I verified that I am protecting the active copy with full backup and the non-active with copy backup.  I do not see the log truncation events (ID 224 I think) for the database in question.  I have public folder stores that do truncate logs correctly after backup and see the event for those databases, but not for the mail database in question.

Friday, September 14, 2012 12:27 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

Did you see these Exchange Event:

Source:        MSExchangeIS      
    Date:          xxxxx
    Event ID:      9827        
    Description:      
    Exchange VSS Writer has successfully completed the full or incremental backup of replicated database 'xxx'. The log files will be truncated after they have been replayed.

Source:        MSExchangeRepl
    Event ID:      2046
    Description:
    The Microsoft Exchange Replication service VSS Writer instance xxxx has successfully completed the backup of database 'xxxx'.
    Database log truncation has been requested for this database. Log truncation will occur on the active copy after the next log generation is created. Log truncation will occur automatically on the passive copies after that log file is copied.

Edit: could you post your events logs entries fron Exchange server during backup process ?

Stephane

Friday, September 14, 2012 8:14 PM
  • Yes and thanks for the tip.  When I filter the event log for that event I see it daily until the 5th and then from the 13th on.  Why the logs weren't being cleared during that interval I don't know.  They are being cleared now, and I assume as of the 13th.
    Sunday, September 16, 2012 1:26 PM