none
IE 11 upgrade appears to have corrupted TIF affecting Outlook 2010 (images) and Excel 2010 (embedded queries) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Windows 7 Professional and just upgraded IE from 9 to 11. Afterwards, I observed that Outlook 2010 was not downloading pictures (instead showing red x's) and Excel 2010 embedded internet queries stopped working. 

I think I've cornered the problem, but can't seem to fix. I have also observed that IE's temporary internet files (TIF) folder may be missing (Internet Options>Browsing History>Settings>Temporary Internet Files shows nothing under Current Location) and the allotted disk space is set to zero and cannot be changed. If I input another number (no matter the number), I receive the following error message:

"Please select a value between 8 and 8 for how much disk space Temporary Internet Files may use."

I have tried renaming the following RegEdit keys, but to no avail: Cache and LowCache (both under HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Internet Settings>5.0). They get replaced when IE11 is re-opened.

The actual values within the registry keys are as follows:

Cache>Content>CacheLimit = 8192 (Decimal)

LowCache>Content>CacheLimit = 256000 (Decimal)

This is driving me crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

-David

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 10:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• This sounds like a profile issue.  Have you tried logging out, and back in as a different user and testing to see if the problem persists?  If it does not, or if you do not want to try that, have you considered reverting IE settings back to default settings?  Internet Options > Tools > Advanced tab > Reset.

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Wednesday, March 2, 2016 4:35 AM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 4:35 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. I chose the simplest path, which was to uninstall IE11 and revert back to IE9. All my problems were solved. I would add that I also upgraded IE to 11 from 9 on an AWS EC2 instance running WinSer 2012 R2 and had no such problems with the TIF, Outlook, or Excel. But, for some reason, the IE11 install does not seem to work well with Win 7 Pro--this is the 2nd time I've tried (the last time was late 2015) and had the same problem both times. I only hope that MS can isolate this problem and fix--for the next time I try an IE upgrade.
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 6:00 AM
  • I have not found problems with the IE11 on Windows 7 combination personally.  Usually, IE add-ons are common causes of IE performance issues, you can disable them one by one until a problem is pinpointed or even update them if available.  Before going the route in the future of uninstalling IE and reverting to an earlier version, always try logging out, and back in as a different user and testing to see if the problem persists.  If it does not, or you do not want to try that, try reverting IE settings back to default settings via Internet Options > Tools > Advanced tab > Reset.

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Thursday, March 3, 2016 1:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by DavKer Thursday, March 3, 2016 3:05 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by DavKer Monday, April 11, 2016 8:59 PM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 12:37 PM
  • Hi DavKer,

I notice that this following link is also your thread.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/b77214fb-b934-4d5b-9340-a0067bd56a8c/ie-11-upgrade-appears-to-have-corrupted-tif-affecting-outlook-2010-images-and-excel-2010-embedded?forum=ieitprocurrentver

Please let us know if my suggestions is helpful. It will help us to follow up.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by DavKer Thursday, March 3, 2016 3:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 2:35 PM
  • Todd,

Today I tried again to upgrade to IE11 (from IE9). Same problems. Corrupted TIF. Red X's in MS Outlook. Embedded queries in MS Excel 2010 non-functional.

I then tried your suggestion of disabling IE add-ons, but disabling all of them did not fix things.

I then tried your suggestion of reverting IE settings back to default settings, but this also did not fix things.

So, I uninstalled IE11 (again) and reverted back to IE9. Both MS Outlook and Excel are back to their normal functioning state.

I really would like to upgrade to IE11, but not if that means negatively affecting MS Outlook and Excel--still looking for a solution.

-David

• Edited by DavKer Tuesday, April 12, 2016 12:27 AM
    Monday, April 11, 2016 9:07 PM
  • If you can't solve a problem, just go around it! I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Professional (from Windows 7 Professional). Along with Win10, I was automatically upgraded to Edge, the successor to IE. Both MS Outlook and Excel are working perfectly. So ends a frustrating chapter, and all is good now. Case closed. -David
    • Marked as answer by DavKer Friday, July 29, 2016 4:14 PM
    Friday, July 29, 2016 4:14 PM