none
Local Admin in Domain Controllers RRS feed

• Question

• I have an account 'scadmin'. I have added this account in the 'Local Administrators' group of all my clients (which are actually servers in my Data Center). Everything was going fine, till I logged in, into the Domain Controller. In the domain controllers I cannot see the 'users and groups' option.

Can anyone please tell me a solution to this. I don't want to create a group policy and want to install the client on the domain controllers for h/w & s/w inventory, windows update patches installation & software roll outs.

How can I add my 'scadmin' account in the 'local administrators' group of the domain controllers?

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:21 PM

Answers

• try this

log on as 'Administrator'

at command prompt:

net localgroup administrators scadmin /add

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:47 PM

All replies

• try this

log on as 'Administrator'

at command prompt:

net localgroup administrators scadmin /add

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:47 PM
  • When a member server is promoted to a domain controller the "Local users and groups" goes away. Under administrator tools (on domain controllers), you'll find "Active Directory Users and Computers" to manage domain user accounts. You don't say whether or not your 'scadmin' is a domain user account. By the nature of your question, I'll assume you've created 'scadmin' as a local user on all your clients and added it to the local administrators group. For the domain controller, you'll have to use <your domain>/administrator or some other domain user which would need to be in the 'Domain Admins' group.

It would be more efficient to use a domain account with domain admin privileges for client deployment on domain member machines including the domain controller.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Yes scadmin is a domain account. meaning 'mydomain\scadmin'. I have added 'mydomain\scadmin' in the Local Administrators of all the clients, except for the domain controller.

I cannot make 'mydomain\scadmin' a domain admin, since its against our corporate security policy.

Have you checked Stan's solution, will it work?

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:00 AM