none
Can a physical pc be converted into a vhdx then used in MDT? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently captured a physical machine by request through MDT. It did capture and I can deploy it, but they're having issues with some SQL preloaded stuff and they want to add a user, etc.

Since I can't modify the image in that way, I see that perhaps VMWare - VMWare VCenter Converter -  can capture the image for reuse/modifications. I don't know if it syspreps the image. I'm guessing that I can copy that vm over into MDT?

Another tool I see is Disk2vhd. It says this can be used with Hyper-V so I'm guessing I can also use this in MDT (to convert it to WIM in a Sysprep/Capture deploy).

The main thing for me is that the image gets sysprepped. I wonder if anyone has used either of these to convert a physical pc image to VM and use it in Hyper-V and MDT.

Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 6:41 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

you can try to capture your partition into a wim-file with dism.

Create a new VM and use dism again

Start your client from a WINPE disk use dism

DISM.exe /Capture-Image /ImageFile:install.wim /CaptureDir:Letter:\ /Name:whatever

DISM.exe /Mount-Image /ImageFile:Path:\myimage.wim /Index:1 /MountDir:C:\test\offline
    Use a net share or external disk for your wim file

Toni

Thursday, July 19, 2018 8:47 AM
  • Thanks. I can try this, but I'm not familiar with the process at all.

Can you add an example, syntax, for how this would work?

I can create a vhdx, or supposedly so, with disk2vhd. I just can't boot up the VM. The point of that is
    to be able to modify the image as needed.

Thanks

Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:42 PM
  • I found a so-far working solution to this 'dont ever do' method.
    I used Disk2vhd to capture a vhdx. I added it to Hyper-V but it would not boot up. I found a link that got me
    passed the black screen/blinking cursor issue. I took the VM to another pc with Hyper-V installed, had techs add/change whatever they needed and now am about to import it back into Hyper-V on MDT. Then I will deploy it and cross my fingers, but so far it seems to be ok.

Post from LTTB:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/fd7a2e66-6010-43f2-8ba5-655372270703/vhd-not-start-after-disk2vhd?forum=winserverhyperv

• Proposed as answer by tonibert Friday, July 20, 2018 5:54 AM
    Thursday, July 19, 2018 6:40 PM
  • Great.

I' am sorry.Yesterday i'am very busy 

Toni

Friday, July 20, 2018 5:54 AM