MDT 2013 stalls during first boot into OS RRS feed

• Question

• I just built a new MDT 2013 server (on 2012 R2) and am attempting to deploy Windows 7 from it via litetouch.  I've been working with MDT 2010 for several years so I am pretty familiar with how it works and just about everything is fine with 2013 except for one small issue.  When the sequence boots into Windows 7 for the first time, it just sits there at the desktop and nothing happens.  This happens every time and performs the same on virtual and physical machines.  All I have to do is reboot the machine and the task sequence will pick right up where it left of and finish everything correctly.

I have found similar reports that seem to be resolved by adding pauses to either the ltibootstrap, litetouch, or ztiutility scripts to give the machine additional time to initialize, but none have worked for me.  The only seemingly relevant log entry comes from the BDD file.  The last entry is:

<![LOG[RUN: regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Users\wdsbuild\AppData\Local\Temp\Tools\x64\Microsoft.BDD.Utility.dll"]LOG]!><time="17:47:46.000+000" date="03-25-2014" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    <![LOG[FAILURE (Err): -2147024770  0x8007007E: CreateObject(Microsoft.BDD.Utility) -]LOG]!><time="17:47:46.000+000" date="03-25-2014" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="2" thread="" file="LiteTouch">

I question the relevance of this entry because I don't actually have to manually register the dll to get it to work again.  Everything else in the BDD and SMSTS logs looks fine and don't appear to give any indication of what is going on.

I have also attempted to add an additional restart to the task sequence immediately following the restart that is initiated after the OS has been laid down, but since the task sequence doesn't start after that first autologin, it doesn't execute.

Thoughts?

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 11:27 PM

Answers

• +1 on the drivers. I have rarely seen this, never able to reproduce in a consistent manner.

Here is the process:

* MDT places a hook within the unattend.xml file applied to the operating system. It calls the script LTIBootStrap.vbs. This happens in OOBE setup. If you did not sysprep or skiped OOBE setup this step may fail.

* LTIBootStrap.vbs calls "Litetouch.wsf /Start" to install itself in the start/run after reboot into the full OS.

IT *might* be possible that there is some other application hooked in to run at logon that is preventing MDT from running. Using autoruns.exe from sysinternals could help in debugging.

Alternatively, you could set HIDESHELL=YES in your cs.ini file. When this is set, MDT will add it self in the registry as a "run" command rather than within the "startup" group in the shell.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:10 PM

All replies

• Any ideas?
    Monday, April 21, 2014 8:50 PM
  • I have seen this twice before and both times it was due to drivers. The first time, the client had drivers installed on the image that was causing issues, and the second time the client was missing drivers. Could either of these be the same for you? 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:45 AM
  • +1 on the drivers. I have rarely seen this, never able to reproduce in a consistent manner.

Here is the process:

* MDT places a hook within the unattend.xml file applied to the operating system. It calls the script LTIBootStrap.vbs. This happens in OOBE setup. If you did not sysprep or skiped OOBE setup this step may fail.

* LTIBootStrap.vbs calls "Litetouch.wsf /Start" to install itself in the start/run after reboot into the full OS.

IT *might* be possible that there is some other application hooked in to run at logon that is preventing MDT from running. Using autoruns.exe from sysinternals could help in debugging.

Alternatively, you could set HIDESHELL=YES in your cs.ini file. When this is set, MDT will add it self in the registry as a "run" command rather than within the "startup" group in the shell.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:10 PM