Taskbar Missing After Display Turned Off & Using Third Party Screen Savers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have 2 machines running both Windows 7 32 and 64-bit respectively and having this same problem. If I used any screen saver that is not installed by default in Windows, after the screen saver kicks in and the display is turned off after an idle time I set, the Windows taskbar will go missing, what's left is only the start orb. I have tried two different screensavers on both of the machines and they always produce the same result. How would I solve this issue?

You can try a screen saver here: http://blog.pixelbreaker.com/polarclock/

Thanks.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:40 PM

Answers

• Hey Plexion,

We have investigated your problem.

This particular screen saver is explicitly setting the taskbar windows to be invisible. We do not support or recommend this behaviour. When the screen turns off, the screen saver gets shut down and it does not set the taskbar to be visible again. To recover from this state, you can manually run the screen saver from the Personalization Menu then exit from it before the Monitor turns off.

We have tried this with other 3rd party screen savers and this problem does not repro. Please let us know if you see other screen savers where this problem repro's.

Thanks,
    Tarek
    • Proposed as answer by Tarek Ayna Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, November 20, 2009 8:47 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Hi Plexion,

I downloaded screensaver for Windows and tested the issue:

Action:

====

1.     Set the wait time for the screen saver to 1 minute.

2.     Set the time to "Turn off the display" to 2 minutes.

3.     Enabled the screensaver you provided.

Result: The screensaver appeared after 1 minute and the display turned off after 2 minutes. After resume, the taskbar is missing and only the Start orb displayed.

However, if I changed the screensaver to another one (named Halloween Full) which was downloaded from the internet, the issue could not be reproduced.

Therefore, I agree with Tarek and the issue is screen saver specific. Please download other screensavers from other websites to see if the issue occurs. (You can search "screensaver" from Bing).

Regards,

Linda

Friday, November 20, 2009 6:29 AM

All replies

• Hey Plexion,

We have investigated your problem.

This particular screen saver is explicitly setting the taskbar windows to be invisible. We do not support or recommend this behaviour. When the screen turns off, the screen saver gets shut down and it does not set the taskbar to be visible again. To recover from this state, you can manually run the screen saver from the Personalization Menu then exit from it before the Monitor turns off.

We have tried this with other 3rd party screen savers and this problem does not repro. Please let us know if you see other screen savers where this problem repro's.

Thanks,
    Tarek
    • Proposed as answer by Tarek Ayna Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:03 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Jus to clarify that I have the same problem while using this 'polar clock' and this happen in Windows 7 as well.
    Please help!
    Friday, November 20, 2009 2:16 AM
  • Hi Plexion,

I downloaded screensaver for Windows and tested the issue:

Action:

====

1.     Set the wait time for the screen saver to 1 minute.

2.     Set the time to "Turn off the display" to 2 minutes.

3.     Enabled the screensaver you provided.

Result: The screensaver appeared after 1 minute and the display turned off after 2 minutes. After resume, the taskbar is missing and only the Start orb displayed.

However, if I changed the screensaver to another one (named Halloween Full) which was downloaded from the internet, the issue could not be reproduced.

Therefore, I agree with Tarek and the issue is screen saver specific. Please download other screensavers from other websites to see if the issue occurs. (You can search "screensaver" from Bing).

Regards,

Linda

Friday, November 20, 2009 6:29 AM
  • I have tried another screensaver, FLIQIO. Is it possible that flash-based screensaver is causing the issue. By the way, the mentioned issue does not occur in Windows Vista nor Windows XP.

Thanks.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 7:49 AM
  • I tested other flash based screensavers and clock screensavers. However, the issue could not be reproduced. It is possible the screensavers you installed are not fully compatible with Windows 7. You can contact the screensaver maker to confirm this issue.

Also, you can perform the following suggestions as workarounds:

-           Adjust the "Turn off the display"  setting in Power Options to "Never".

-           When the issue occurs, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc on the keyboard to bring up Task Manager. On the Processes tab, highlight explorer.exe and then click End Process. Click File -> New Task (Run…) -> type explorer.exe in the text box and then press Enter to retrieve the taskbar.

-           Use other clock screensavers. You can find more from HERE.

Regards,

Linda

Friday, November 20, 2009 8:47 AM
  • I have had the same issue on Windows Vista and can assure you that it is not Windows 7 specific.
    However,I'm not debating the fact that it could be screen saver specific and in case anyone comes out with a sol please do let us know.
    @Linda: Thanks but already knew that and got nuts when every two mins my screen saver wud pop up and I would have to do this whole process!!
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:32 PM
  • This problem also occurs with the use of the "System 47" screensaver from MeWho.

No solution found yet...other than restarting explorer.exe.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:19 AM